Races that “Discourage” headphones or don’t allow them

Options
WickAndArtoo
WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
I found a half marathon that I want to race in, and I was really excited until I read in the frequently asked Qs that headphones are “highly discouraged”. This kind of put me out, as it’s a huge part of my love of running to be able to listen to upbeat motivating music.

This would be my second half and I’m just curious what others think about this. I am always aware of my surroundings and I can hear people talking to me with them in... is the term “discouraged” flimsy enough that I could get away with still wearing them? Or should I expect it to be truly headphones free? I had no idea this was a thing!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've never run with music, it's never bothered me.

If I have it low enough to be able to hear my surroundings I can't actually hear it over my footsteps and breathing!! :laugh:
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    I've never run with music, it's never bothered me.

If I have it low enough to be able to hear my surroundings I can't actually hear it over my footsteps and breathing!! :laugh:

This is so interesting! I have begrudgingly ran without music, but to me it’s really important, it’s hard to explain why but the music makes me feel something inside and that power helps on my runs lol.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I think this is more of an insurance risk for the organizers. They need participants to be alert and able to respond to commands.

I rarely use headphones and only use one so I can listen and be aware of my surroundings.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way when I see that. I try to consider the "why" and that dictates what I do next. The only time I have ever actually not used music in a race that discouraged earbuds was single track trail... this was to better know when someone was behind me and needed to pass.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I train with music but don't often race with it as lot of organised runs ban them and you risk disqualification.

They haven't banned them outright so maybe you could get away with them with a low volume or one ear in.

Best of Luck

X
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I train almost 100% without music since I'm always running with friends. But at races I put on my headphones and get into my own little world. :) If the race explicitly disallows them, I do not register. Most races discourage them but only a few I've found that outright tell you not to wear them.

I ran Broad Street Run in Philly a couple years ago and they 'discourage them' very loudly. But then you look at the official guide (printed guide) and there on the cover is a picture of runners with headphones in.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Many of our local races forbid headphones. They don't close the roads to traffic and it is simply too dangerous to have people running who can't hear cars coming up behind them or hear the yells of other runners to move out of the way. I've seen some really close encounters with people who weren't paying attention or couldn't hear the shouts. You can be disqualified in some of the races if you wear headphones, but some people use them anyway.

Because of the ban, I do about half of my runs without headphones so I don't become too dependent on them. I have found that I actually run better without them. I pay more attention to my pace and listen more to my body's signals. My pace is more even. I pay more attention to the other runners and the spectators. In a race I don't really need to be distracted because I enjoy being there.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I feel the same way when I see that. I try to consider the "why" and that dictates what I do next. The only time I have ever actually not used music in a race that discouraged earbuds was single track trail... this was to better know when someone was behind me and needed to pass.

At many of the trail races I do, they announce about being courteous and keeping one head phone out.

In one race I did that had a lot of single track, some genius had both earphone in and must have had the earbuds that seal to the ear so you cannot hear. Despite two announcements he didn't acknowledge or move, so I basically had to push him aside to get by.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I rarely use headphones anyway, so it doesn't directly affect me. In the UK the race licensing is driven by UK Athletics, and both the Trail Running Association and Fell Running Association derive their licenses from there as well.

Essentially UKA ban anything except bone conduction from any race predominantly on the road, where the roads aren't closed. Motor vehicles and bodies don't mix well.

I know of a few races that have DQd people for ignoring that, and I've seen a few tantrums from people who've been DQd.

The only time I'm listening to anything terms to be where the running is boring anyway, so roads/ urban. I can kind of get why people want distraction in that environment, but then I don't really understand why they're paying for money for the experience of running through a built up area.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options

I definitely feel that’s fair way to look at it! I would definitely not want to put any other runners out or in harms way.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    I am loving all of the responses! I actually love watching the people racing, spectators, and the scenery around me while running a race, that’s why I pay so much money to do it! That has nothing to do with my music and I’m not using it as a distraction.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    headphones take away one of your senses. On courses that aren't closed to traffic and, espcaially, on trail, you NEED to have full situational awareness. I haven't run with music for a couple years, at all distances. It really is a safety issue. it's too easy to zone out with music in, so a lot of RDs discourage it.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I don't want music when I'm running, and I don't really relate to how it enhances running (or its lack degrades running) for others. I will say, as a runner who does not wear headphones, I would prefer runners that do want music to wear clearly visible headphones instead of tiny earbuds I can't see. If I see the headphones, I know to expect you can't hear me saying/shouting anything to you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i used to run with them, i found it helped me keep pace. but when i ran my first half, my phone lost connectivity and i ran without. since then, i have run without music.
    if it is discouraged, you may run with them. preferably with one ear out.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    As a former race director, I can tell you that runners with headphones are safety risks. I've seen people run into others because they don't realize someone is near them.

Also, if you are hosting a race that is sanctioned by a governing body (USA Track and Field), they specifically prohibit headphones in competitive events, which is probably driven by liability insurance requirements. (Your local 5k might not be a sanctioned event.)
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Going back to the original question, you are probably fine unless you are going to win or place in your age group. (i.e. a mid to back of the packer is not going to be scrutinized.)
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Usually you can get away with one ear bud.....so you can still hear
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The sound quality isn't as good, but maybe bone conduction headphones?
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I run with music as well, I believe if you read the fine print on every single race they all say they discourage headphones, they have to for liability but unless you're aiming to place they generally don't enforce. If it is strictly no headphones at all, they generally state it that way. Some races have you remove headphones going into the finish chute for safety. I would say if they discourage headphones you are still fine, I would bet most people will use them.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I train with one earbud for safety. I share the trails with cyclists and occasional work crews, and I need to know if they're behind me. There's also a considerable amount of wildlife where I am, including coyotes and the occasional bobcat. Granted, humans are noisier than any of the animals out there--and I often have to make a lot of noise to scare coyotes away--but in theory I can hear them!

"Highly discouraged" is standard wording for most races and you'll likely see plenty of people wearing earbuds. I continue my one earbud routine in races, and I see people with them in every race I've run. (I'd prefer it if they only used one, though; it can be hard to pass people who wear both earbuds.) I don't sign up for races that ban earbuds because I don't like running without music. I ran one race without music and swore I'd never do that again.