Are hydration belts worth the investment?

Options
sheltondq
sheltondq Posts: 51 Member
I recently signed up for a half marathon training team. I haven’t really run anything over 3 miles without a water bottle. I’m starting to wonder if I should get a hydration belt and what brand / styles are good.
. I currently have a running case for my phone that straps around my hand so i don’t really want to hold a water bottle.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you somewhere where you need hydration for 3 miles?

I have a fitletics belt which is good:

https://www.runnersneed.com/p/fitletic-hydration-belt-12oz-M4714035.html?colour=3639
  • sheltondq
    sheltondq Posts: 51 Member
    Options

https://www.runnersneed.com/p/fitletic-hydration-belt-12oz-M4714035.html?colour=3639

Yes. I live in a rural area that stays pretty hot and humid. I’m training for a half marathon and am starting to up my mileage. I usually am thirsty by the 3 mile mark. So I don’t know how much farther I could push without water.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sheltondq wrote: »

Yes. I live in a rural area that stays pretty hot and humid. I’m training for a half marathon and am starting to up my mileage. I usually am thirsty by the 3 mile mark. So I don’t know how much farther I could push without water.

If you're actually thirsty by 3 miles then you need to look at your hydration in general - the day and hours before you run.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I have several water carrying options. One is the strap that fits on a water bottle to attach it to your hand. Very simple and inexpensive, but not hands-free. One is belt-style with two smallish bottles that attach to it, and depending on what I'm wearing it gets bouncy and annoying. Then I have a backpack-style vest with a water bladder inside and you drink out of a tube as you run. It's the most comfortable of all of the options, hands-free, and I use it for runs around half marathon distance or longer. You could put your phone in either the backpack or the belt as well, if you wanted to free up your hands.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have a belt with two small bottles for any training runs that I do longer than 10k length. I had to play around to get the fit right where it wouldn’t bounce around. It also has a pocket where you can put keys, phone, gels, etc.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have a small handheld bottle for 5k distances. Anything more, or hot/humid runs, I have a Nike belt that holds a 16oz bottle. It doesn't move around much and has a pocket if I need keys or puffers.
    If I really need it, I have a 1.5L hydration back pack. It's not the most comfortable thing but it works and isn't annoying.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I have the hydration vest/backpack with a bladder. It’s amazing and so worth it for myself, it’s the Nathan Firebreaker. It’s VERY comfortable and has convenient pockets for my energy supplements and phone/keys etc.
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    sheltondq wrote: »

If you're actually thirsty by 3 miles then you need to look at your hydration in general - the day and hours before you run.

I agree, take a look at your hydration as a whole. You have to do what works for you but if you're needing water 3 miles in, it sounds like you're starting out dehydrated. I typically don't think about carrying hydration until 14+ miles unless its particularly humid. I have a hand held bottle by Nathan that I use for marathons and I put my fuel in the zipper pouch. I don't use fuel for anything under 16-18 miles.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I bought a hydration belt a couple years ago and hated it. it bounced constantly and was very uncomfortable. I generally do not take water on my runs unless it's especially warm or I'm doing more than about 10 miles, but when I do need water, I have an 11 ounce bottle that's made to fit my Flipbelt. I highly recommend both the Flipbelt itself and the bottles. In theory, you can fit multiple bottles in a Flipbelt, but I've never tried that.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Seems many people think water is only for when you're thirsty. Because of sinus/nasal conditions, I'm a mouth breather most of the time. A swig a water helps fight a dry mouth and throat. If you need a drink during any run for any reason and you need more than is in a hand held bottle, a hydration belt is worth the investment. I got Hynice Hydration Running Belt, Fitness Runners Waist Pack with Water Bottle Holder,Cellphone Zipper Pockets for iPhone 6 6plus S7 S6 Fit Men Women for about $10 from Amazon. It makes little difference to me, nor should it to you, that someone else won't need a drink for x miles. I always bring water with me. The worse that could happen is that I don't drink it. If I need it (swallowed a bug, dry mouth/throat...) and don't have it, I'm not well off.

"Are hydration belts worth the investment?" Only you know the answer to this question. Would you use it? Do you need it? Would it make your activity more comfortable? Can you do all of your runs without anything to drink? These are all personal to you. Answer your question as it pertains to you and have a nice day.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Seems many people think water is only for when you're thirsty. Because of sinus/nasal conditions, I'm a mouth breather most of the time. A swig a water helps fight a dry mouth and throat. If you need a drink during any run for any reason and you need more than is in a hand held bottle, a hydration belt is worth the investment. I got Hynice Hydration Running Belt, Fitness Runners Waist Pack with Water Bottle Holder,Cellphone Zipper Pockets for iPhone 6 6plus S7 S6 Fit Men Women for about $10 from Amazon. It makes little difference to me, nor should it to you, that someone else won't need a drink for x miles. I always bring water with me. The worse that could happen is that I don't drink it. If I need it (swallowed a bug, dry mouth/throat...) and don't have it, I'm not well off.

"Are hydration belts worth the investment?" Only you know the answer to this question. Would you use it? Do you need it? Would it make your activity more comfortable? Can you do all of your runs without anything to drink? These are all personal to you. Answer your question as it pertains to you and have a nice day.

I'm the same but find sucking on a mint while running helps a lot with the dry mouth. More than the occasional swig of water.

I still take water for anything over 5k
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

I'm the same but find sucking on a mint while running helps a lot with the dry mouth. More than the occasional swig of water.

I still take water for anything over 5k

I can't do mints while running. Also a mouth breather and having a mint in my mouth would probably make me choke.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I use a "Buddy Pouch H2O" (on Amazon for $14ish) and I love it. Its a 7oz bottle in a pouch with a super strong magnetic closure that closes around your running belt or pants/shorts. I use a Spibelt for my phone/keys and I hook the water bottle over both my Spibelt and shorts and it doesn't budge. I run in the Texas heat so I always have water on me no matter the distance. Totally worth the investment (for me).
  • millerdan1
    millerdan1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use a Camelbak belt that fits a 16-20oz bottle in the back. It works great for me because the straps are in the front so it’s easy to adjust while running.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I use Nathan belt (4 bottle version). This gives me the flexibility that if I am doing a really long run, I will have 4 bottles, and if I am doing a shorter run, I can just have 1. The bottles around 6-7 oz each. I use either a Spibelt or Armband for carrying phone / ID / keys when I need to bring them with me...which is usually just for races.
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I usually carry water on all runs, regardless of the length as I want to train myself to drink regularly. My runs are typically not less than 6 miles, though. I use a handheld up to 10 miles and a hydration pack for longer runs. I did buy a hydration belt from www.nakedsportsinnovations.com that I like. I use 2, 500ml soft flasks when using it and it still has room for keys, phone and gels.
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a flip belt which I use mostly to carry sport beans, tissues, keys, etc. I hide my water on the route I'm running. I personally don't like to run with water in my hand or around my waist (I chafe something fierce). I must be part camel because I don't plan for water unless I'm running upward of 10 mile, and that, to an extent, really depends upon the weather.