Class and Practice Check-In: the August edition!

HeliumIsNoble
HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
edited August 2018 in Social Groups
In which we consider that it's August, it's too bleeding hot, the dojo doesn't have air conditioning, the family routine's all out of whack because school's done for the year and other excuses, and decide to...

go to training anyway!

In this season of overheated discontent, let's inspire and motivate each other, as we all resolve to get fit for upcoming belt gradings, Christmas and next summer.

Muse on this week's training sessions so far here.

Replies

• JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    I go to training every Tuesday and Thursday. And sometimes Saturday.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    We have the option of training in gi shorts (which are so not made with women's hips in mind). It definitely makes it much cooler.
  • Sylhuo
    Sylhuo Posts: 8 Member
    This week: Monday-Wednesday traveled to Orlando for work, so I did half an hour poomsae each day between meetings and happy hour.
    Thursday: sparring
    Friday: training camp for 3 hours (MyFitnessPal tells me I can eat an extra 1000 calories lol)
    Saturday: family class
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Went to my first class since July today! Nice start to the month with a sparring class.

We don't do shorts, but we get to wear t-shirts in summer. Currently, I am walking to class in shorts, and changing into uniform onsite, because I cannot bear starting training in something that already feels sweaty.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    I wish it was warm! It's freezing cold this week and we are going away this weekend. To save money we sleep at one of the gyms in the town we compete in (yay for mats at Jiu Jitsu gyms) but I know it's going to be even more freezing there. Thankfully I have a good sleeping bag.

It's ADCC so no gi competition and is being held in the middle of a shopping centre so we will get lots of attention. I will probably spend the time not competing helping with the scoring as I'm learning how to referee at comps.

Pre-comp week is light training (and work has been crazy) so I did Monday early morning and will do some light rolling at open mat tomorrow before we travel on Friday.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    That sounds incredibly exciting, Dory. Good luck!

I'm done until the weekend. I've taken advantage of unusual opportunities and made it to class for 5 consecutive days. I'm feeling pretty good about everything really: I feel like I'm finally exactly where I should be with both my black belt forms; none of my previous injuries have flared up, despite five days' consecutive training, thanks to the sports therapist I've been seeing for the last couple of months; and on my last visit, just this week, the sports therapist said I'd made such great progress with my injuries after following the physio plan she'd drawn-up I didn't need to see her again unless they started getting worse again, and lastly, the weather has cooled down!

So, that's nice. I just need the weather to stay cooled down, now. Sorry, Dory! Pity we can't ship our excess heat to you.
  • Dory_42
    Luckily the gym wasn't as cold as expected.

Comp was fun and I learnt lots as usual but that win is still eluding me. I will get it one day soon. My team mates mostly did really well especially the guys in the pro division, 3 gold and 1 bronze between 3 of them. Beginners did well with 2 out of 3 getting bronze and our only kid, a girl for gold in her division and bronze in the boys. The other intermediate level fighter, like me walked away with valuable lessons from a loss, but both of us are amped to get back on the mats and apply those lessons!

My life would get back to normal (as much as that exists in my life) for the next 6 weeks so good time to get my routine going for training and good nutrition!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I have just started BJJ (this is my third week). I am going twice a week and will increase the number of classes I take soon. I'm really enjoying what I've learned so far. My gym has separate grappling classes. I'd like to start going to those but feel a bit intimidated by them right now. I have had a number of surgeries recently and am just getting back into the gym. My short term goal is to learn enough so that when I visit my daughter and her family in Las Vegas in October, I won't make a fool out of myself at my son in law's classes. He competes professionally, instructs and trains out there.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    @Dory_42 I'm sure you will get your winning streak started soon. Sustained, day-in, day-out effort like you've been putting in pays off.

@debrakgoogins Sounds like a good plan you have there. BJJ isn't for me, so I very much admire people who have the gumption to give it a go.
  • Dory_42
    @debrakgoogins Welcome to the awesome world of Jiu Jitsu!!! I love rolling.

@HeliumIsNoble That's exactly what my coach says!!!!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    I went to my first black belt class last night. It wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited August 2018
    Dory_42 wrote: »
    @debrakgoogins Welcome to the awesome world of Jiu Jitsu!!! I love rolling.

@HeliumIsNoble That's exactly what my coach says!!!!

Well, they say great minds think alike, so there's a clear conclusion to draw here! ;)
    I went to my first black belt class last night. It wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be!

That's ruddy fantastic. Enjoy your new habitat!
  • Dory_42
    We have started 6am rolling and I'm loving it. I get there about 3 times a week and we roll for about 45 minutes non stop which really helps with our mat time and trying out techniques we have been drilling in class. The group is awesome because we all push each other and even though some are better than others we all learn through the rolls. No gi there and gi in evening class is also a great balance.

Had a couple of awesome rolls last night. The other girl who got blue belt at the same time as me is one of my favorites to roll with because we are pretty evenly matched and it's always fun. Then rolled with an experienced male blue belt and although he did tap me a couple of times, he has been told that he uses too much strength with the girls and I handled his strength with no problem. He is working on that, but I'm also used to rolling with the boys who increase how hard they go against me as I improve so I can handle more than most of our girls, even the 4 stripe blue who smashes me with ease.

Had a tender ear this morning after it was twisted during an escape last night. Of course the guys targeted it this morning once they discovered this because they think cauli is cool! Luckily nothing more than some tenderness which has disapated already. Cauli is not something I want!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    I'm on to my rest days. Got called on to assist a group of students learning their new form last night. Never gets any easier. I do not know how the actual instructors manage to teach whole classes and make it look so easy.