I have a plan (marathon)

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
Howdy!
I am hoping to run my first marathon on November 25, currently i'm only running 20 miles a week but know I can go much further... I was suggested this training program by another MFP user and i'm just curious to know what you think of it. I'm not looking to have a great time (well I am looking to have fun LOL) or anything... just finish the race and avoid getting injured! I also live in a very flat state with no hills so I am wondering what I can do differently on those days?
https://www.nyrr.org/sites/default/files/Marathon Training Plans - Conservative.pdf

Thank you for your insight!

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    You can also simulate hills on a treadmill that has incline options. Will your race be flat or hilly? Generally if you go to the website for your race it will tell you what the terrain will be like, that will be a huge help in knowing how to train.

Also if you are just hoping to finish and run the entire thing mileage and consistency (in addition to knowing what the terrain is like for the race) is more important than the speed work built into the training plans, since you aren’t trying to place but finish without hurting yourself.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    It's a low mileage plan that should get you to the starting line healthy, but you will likely struggle toward the end of the race. I agree about doing the runs on the flex days. Three miles shouldn't be that hard to do. On the speed days, you should start with at least a mile warmup, preferably more, so you won't actually be doing all that much hard running if the total mileage is only 5 miles. Do it if you feel strong, otherwise just run the distance easy with some pickups during the run.