First 5K back from injury

My first post in this group since joining and virtually my first run.

However, I ran my first 5K this morning since coming back from a knee injury. Not much I know but a small personal victory.

Now to very carefully ease myself back up to some decent mileage and hopefully a few races next year.....

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Coming back from injury is always tricky. You remember what you used to do, but you need to restrict yourself to what you can do now. It's a delicate balancing act, finding out how much is possible without setting yourself back.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Good luck getting back to it. Injuries suck!
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Thanks both.

Actually I seem to have some swelling just from that little jog so it may be more time on the purgatory of the cross trainer while I give it some more time.

:(
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    edited August 2018
    Thanks both.

Actually I seem to have some swelling just from that little jog so it may be more time on the purgatory of the cross trainer while I give it some more time.

:(

5k, if you haven’t been running after an injury for a while is pretty far! I felt the same way when I was getting back into it after I had a knee injury!! Idk if you like to swim but I was just reading an article about how the kicking motion is prefect for strengthening the muscles needed to stabilize a weak/previously injured knee. Keep us posted on your progress!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    I feel like I am always coming back from something!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I feel like I am always coming back from something!

I spent all of last year like that too!
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    @WickAndArtoo I probably worded my initial post badly as it wasn't my first run but my first 5K I've built back up to it. I am swimming too. My physio warned my off breast stroke (which I know is painful after a few lengths anyway) but cleared me for freestyle/crawl.

I've also been doing lots of cardio on a "free form" cross trainer as it doesn't aggravate the knee but sort of mimics running movements.

@Vladimirnapkin Yea I know what you mean, and especially since I hit my 40s, before this it was Achilles issues LOL

I read that runners exist in 3 states:
    1. Injured
    2. Recovering
    3. About to be injured

Hopefully the physio will sort me out and I'll be one to number 3 for a while.

I've half an eye on doing the Stockholm Marathon again in June if I can stay injury free for a while.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    @WickAndArtoo I probably worded my initial post badly as it wasn't my first run but my first 5K I've built back up to it. I am swimming too. My physio warned my off breast stroke (which I know is painful after a few lengths anyway) but cleared me for freestyle/crawl.

I've also been doing lots of cardio on a "free form" cross trainer as it doesn't aggravate the knee but sort of mimics running movements.

@Vladimirnapkin Yea I know what you mean, and especially since I hit my 40s, before this it was Achilles issues LOL

1. Injured
    2. Recovering
    3. About to be injured

I've half an eye on doing the Stockholm Marathon again in June if I can stay injury free for a while.

Oh gotchya! Sorry I was confused :) it definitely sounds like you are well on your way to #3 lol.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member

1. Injured
    2. Recovering
    3. About to be injured

And as I told my PT (and she repeats to other clients now), distance runners have only two modes of dealing with injury:

1. Denial
    2. Hypochondria
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »

1. Injured
    2. Recovering
    3. About to be injured

And as I told my PT (and she repeats to other clients now), distance runners have only two modes of dealing with injury:

1. Denial
    2. Hypochondria

Put me in the hypochondria camp. Knee feels a little wonky? OMG MY TENDON IS PROBABLY DESTROYED!

And then I run anyway.

Congrats on your 5k, OP! It may not seem like much compared to your usual runs, but it's a great feeling when you start building your distance back up.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »

1. Injured
    2. Recovering
    3. About to be injured

1. Denial
    2. Hypochondria

This is so true! Only I can't figure out which mode I am in right now :*