Races that “Discourage” headphones or don’t allow them

Options
2»

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Wow this was exactly the question I was going to post lol. Was just going over the FAQ for my race today and they also say they discourage wearing headphones.... I've ran before without music and done several races but I agree the music really helps me stay motivated and keep a good pace. I also can't imagine running 20+ miles without, I would be bored out of my mind. I'm going to try to just keep the volume low or wear one bud in like others suggested. I train every day wearing them and I blast the music pretty loud, whenever I get to a busy road or a section where there are lots of distractions I just press the pause button.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I hate running without music unless I am with a group. I had to run my one race without (night race but others used them and it would have been hard to see). I wouldn't have used it at the beginning, large group of people. But the entire back end i was pretty alone.

I can understand one headphone.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Wow this was exactly the question I was going to post lol. Was just going over the FAQ for my race today and they also say they discourage wearing headphones.... I've ran before without music and done several races but I agree the music really helps me stay motivated and keep a good pace. I also can't imagine running 20+ miles without, I would be bored out of my mind. I'm going to try to just keep the volume low or wear one bud in like others suggested. I train every day wearing them and I blast the music pretty loud, whenever I get to a busy road or a section where there are lots of distractions I just press the pause button.

I ended up not training for this race, and chose to skip it bc time was very limited (and I missed two crucial weeks lol)... but I am still glad to have gotten so much response and that it can help you!! I really doubt I could run that far without music, so I’m pretty sure I would just risk breaking the rules as long as I wasn’t putting anyone else in danger/bothering them lol. I am a very slow runner so I wouldn’t be near anyone else judging from my race experiences in the past. How is your training going?!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

Put my headphones in one day (Samsung Iconx truly wireless) only to realize they needed a charge. One dies very quickly and the other kept going to ~ the 8k mark (was doing 10K). Realized I liked running with just one earbud in and started doing this regularly.

Only wear both on the treadmill now. Unfortunately, with the smoke in my area that's all I'm doing right now :(
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

Put my headphones in one day (Samsung Iconx truly wireless) only to realize they needed a charge. One dies very quickly and the other kept going to ~ the 8k mark (was doing 10K). Realized I liked running with just one earbud in and started doing this regularly.

Only wear both on the treadmill now. Unfortunately, with the smoke in my area that's all I'm doing right now :(

I have Jaybird Run earbuds and they haven't died yet. My usual distance is 10K, but I've used them up to a half marathon. However, only the right earbud works on its own--the left one will not work unless you're also using the right.

Stay safe with the smoke...we're in central California, not close to any wildfires, but they'll be doing a controlled burn along my usual route soon and I'll need to figure out alternatives.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options

I ended up not training for this race, and chose to skip it bc time was very limited (and I missed two crucial weeks lol)... but I am still glad to have gotten so much response and that it can help you!! I really doubt I could run that far without music, so I’m pretty sure I would just risk breaking the rules as long as I wasn’t putting anyone else in danger/bothering them lol. I am a very slow runner so I wouldn’t be near anyone else judging from my race experiences in the past. How is your training going?!!

Aw that's a bummer! Have you signed up for another one? I feel the same way lol I'm going to have to sneak mine in! It's going... but slow... I'm still on low mileage right now so the rest days are downright boring, I can't wait for some longer distances! Trying not to cheat so I don't hurt myself lol 👍
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options

Aw that's a bummer! Have you signed up for another one? I feel the same way lol I'm going to have to sneak mine in! It's going... but slow... I'm still on low mileage right now so the rest days are downright boring, I can't wait for some longer distances! Trying not to cheat so I don't hurt myself lol 👍

I totally agree rest days are so hard!!!! It is so much more motivating with the longer distances too, although I did 6 miles today and the runger is insane!!!! Apparently 5 miles = normal 6miles = insanely hungry way over cals for the day!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

I have Jaybird Run earbuds and they haven't died yet. My usual distance is 10K, but I've used them up to a half marathon. However, only the right earbud works on its own--the left one will not work unless you're also using the right.

Stay safe with the smoke...we're in central California, not close to any wildfires, but they'll be doing a controlled burn along my usual route soon and I'll need to figure out alternatives.

They will last longer, just that I forgot to put them in the charger so they were close to dead when I started. I've done 1/2's with them no issue.

Yeah, the smoke is keeping me on the treadmill. Thanks
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My last half had a policy of allowing 1 earpiece only. It worked really well. Is this becoming a 'thing' now?
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    All of the half and full marathon courses I've ran have said the same thing. That being said, I need music to stay motivated and have always raced with earbuds (in one ear for obvious reasons).