Getting Scary Strong (October Lifting Thread)

hanlonsk
hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
K, I worked late... brain clearly isn’t playing along. It’s the best I came up with... just be glad I tossed the ones that worse.

Yesterday (not october, I know) 40 minutes on elliptical (GAWD, I need a treadmill) and then tried to figure out some accessory work with my limited set up.

Today: 1.2 mile interval run. My deadlift/rackpull stuff (also need bumper plates, ughh) 10@95, 5@105, 5@115, 5@125, 5@135. And I did some stuff to try and work on squat form and depth in between. As usual, struggling with folding over on squats, so once again trying to fix it while weight is low. So did some sumo squats with 35lb plate. And then did some body weight squat stuff with a band for support.

Replies

• kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Hello everyone! I'm Kandi. I'm just getting back into weight lifting so I thought I'd join you guys for support and motivation. I've been at it for just about a month.
    Today's workout: 5x5 squat: 90 5x5 bench: 75 5x5 row: 75
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Today's workout:
    5x5 squats @ 95lbs
    5x5 ohp @ 75lbs...this was tough it I powered through
    5x5 deadlift@ 135lbs
  • hanlonsk
    Hi @kandeye - first of all hi! Second of all I wanted to make sure you knew you weren’t by yourself in here. I’m traveling until Tuesday- so likely no lifting to report- but I didn’t want to leave ya in an echo chamber.

Lastly... 75 lb ohp for “just getting back to lifting” is no frigging joke... I don’t think I ever got above 65lb ohp even when I was being dedicated and was flirting with benching big kid plates!!
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    I started strong lifts 5x5 today after pottering in the gym for a few months and I like it!
    Work out A
    Squat 5x5 at 20kg / 44lbs (Gonna jump this up because it was too easy - been squating 20kg 3x12 prior)
    Bench press 5x5 50kg / 110lbs
    Barbell Row 5x5 40kg / 88lbs
    Gonna stick to there increases from here and see how it goes! Yay!
  • theknitpicker
    theknitpicker Posts: 63 Member
    @kandeye @hanlonsuk Seriously 75lb OHP is impressive! It is genuinely my worst lift. I'm almost debating if I need to go to a seated OHP to sort out my form for a bit, but I really don't want to...

Plodded along fairly silently through September - changed jobs so I wasn't in the forums as much as normal, but I've been making steady progress. Now I'm at:
    Squat-65kg/143lbs
    Bench - 35kg/77lbs
    Row - 45kg/99lbs
    OHP 22.5kg/49lbs (I'm really struggling with this lift, PB 25kg/55lbs, but had to deload)
    Chin/pull up assist - BW-20.3kg/45lbs
    Dips/push ups - 3x10 (Should add weight but no idea how)
    Planks - 3x60 sec
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Welcome to the new people and nice to meet the regulars.

I'm new here, but have been doing strong lifts for two years. I'm a dancer, so my energy is divided. I modified the program by lifting twice a week, and creeping up slowly on the weight. After 2 years, I have a completely different body. I'm smaller, have more muscle and a much better shape. I hope to do this the rest of my life!

@Kandi, egads! 75lb OHP, impressive. And the rest of you are doing great too! I'm at the end of the pack, but that's ok.

I'm hanging out at the following, hoping to inch up on squats by the end of the year

squats & deads 115 lbs
    bench 65 lbs
    OHP 50 lbs
    row 60 lbs
    pull-ups: 3-4
  • hanlonsk
    K.. so, I’m back, I think.
    Birthday was Wednesday, and got some amazon gift cards. Which made my available “home gym improvement” budget go twice as far. So, I now have a real bench coming (I’ve been laying on my heavy bag as a bench). A kettle bell, and one set of dumbbells are also coming. Bumper plates were technically higher on my list than the kettlebells and dumbbells, but my faja asked specifically for items on my wishlist- and that’s what I mentioned since they were at the top, so, I will wait a bit on those. (Like till next budget cycle- debating between $100 a pay check or $100 a month for a while on home gym. Weights are fkng expensive.)

Today I did a lackadaisical workout, but I worked out. It’s snowing, 28 degrees and falling, and so it was like slow, and lazy, and coffee and stay warm sort of workout. We seem to have missed fall, was 90 one week and snowing the next, it seems. I technically had a something semblance of a 5x5 workout in there

Bench supersetted with 10 body weight/band squats.
    Bench 10@45, 10@65, 5@85, 5x5 @95

Squats, I hate squats, stayed light, working on form. By form I mean I need to get lower, and not fold over while getting lower.
    5x5@45

Rows supersetted with 5 banded pull-ups.
    Rows 5@45, 5x5@55

Banded pull-ups were knees in my purple and green bands, stretched across my rack. I was barefoot, And had no intentions of changing that. So, my bands being looped from the bar with my foot in them wasn’t working.

So, yeah- hiiiii *waves to all our lurkers and others* even if you aren’t doing 5x5 - come say hi, we still love ya
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Stronglifts B
    Squat 95
    OP 29
    DL 115

It's only my third week back at this post injury so not too bad. The OP, oh the OP. Im going to have to invest in fractionals.
  • hanlonsk
    edited October 2018
    Ok, so I nearly had this type do out once already, but well #technology fail.

I’m still not really following a plan... even a lift vs rest schedule, just trying to get and keep a habit of “do something” going again.

Today I supersetted banded push-ups with clean and presses.
    The banded push-ups are a modification I ran across as a substitute for elevated or knee push-ups. The theory being you have a true push-up form/set up, and you have your full weight at the top. I do, so far find them preferable to knee push-ups. And since I have gained weight and lost strength lately, I am back to modified push-ups.

Sox back on topic
    5x10 banded push-ups
    5x5 clean and OHP @45

Then I continued my never ending quest to fix my squat form and maybe even try to like the darn things eventually.

So, front squats 8x5 @45.

Oh, and let’s just say having a birthday is going to be awesome for my home gym.... mail folks are going to hate me... but omg I’m looking forward to my mail for the next few weeks. Aka my bumper plates are ordered!!!!

Lastly, @krokador I believe you were the one who gave me the wrist strap/front squat hack. And, I finally have had the straps long enough and tried it enough times to get the logistics right... and THANK YOU!!! Video below... I left the blooper in for yalls entertainment. And yes, it is cold enough in my house the sweatshirt was necessary.

Edited, because, more techno fail
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 17,328 Member
    I'm Bacckkkkk!! the challenge now is trying to balance weights with running without hurting myself in the process.
    And...dealing with a slight shoulder strain in the left shoulder that seemed to come out of nowhere last week.
    Hoping like crazy that it doesn't turn into frozen shoulder, like I had in the right shoulder for the better part of 2016.
    Going to the doc Thursday to get it checked out.
  • lkpducky
    @hanlonsk @krokador THANK YOU for that front squat hack! Must try! I can't point my elbows forward to save my life on that lift.
  • ketokathy1511
    ketokathy1511 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello everyone! I'm Kathy. I've been reading about SL for two years now and I have decided to start on Monday...scary. I've downloaded the app.

Could someone please explain the warm up please? I have 20 kg to lose (44 lbs), I am soon to be 55 and a marathon runner - any over 50's in this group?
  • hanlonsk
    K... so, I haven’t had the app in a while... but... most the time (when I’m actually following a plan) I do walking or biking or something for like 10 minutes, then some dynamic stretching/moving stretching type things. If I recall the app doesn’t give you warm up sets until higher weights, and then it just has you work up to the working weight.

If you are “soon to be a marathon runner” you might expect gains going a bit slower than if your weren’t doing long runs (I only made it to half marathon, but I found calories and energy kind of went one place or the other, and although lifting helped my running, i needed to prioritize longer runs or heavier lifts,
  • abaxter02
    abaxter02 Posts: 23 Member
    Just started SL yesterday. I am feeling a little sore today but not too bad, just started out with the bar only as recommended. I have been running 3 miles, 3 times a week prior to this for my first 5k. After lifting I did jog a mile on the treadmill. Is it okay today to go ahead and run my 3 miles and tomorrow do workout B?
  • hanlonsk
    I’m going to go with the vague listen to your body answer. When I was being consistent, it honestly depended on the day. Sometimes I could do 3 miles and lift, some days I couldn’t... sometimes that meant the lifting had to wait, sometimes it meant the running waited. I will tell you though... if you are way sore from squats.,, still try the run, even if it’s only a quarter mile... lots of times that is exactly what I needed the next day... or it sped up the lessening of soreness.

In my world... work went crazy- I rode my bike to work yesterday... climbed things today... but.....

I had my bench, my jump rope, my 25 lb kettlebell, and my 20 lb dumbbells at my house today. Post office says I need to stop by and get stuff tomorrow too....
    sooooo today’s workout time was spent opening boxes and putting my bench together... does that count?
  • hanlonsk
    edited October 2018
    K, half assed lifting happened again tonight... but At least it happened damnit!!

So, general theme was squats, Russian twists, and umm close grip floor press?
    5 x10 super sets
    1&2. 20lb dumbbell sumo squats, 20lb twists, 20 lb dumbbell press (one bell, not two)
    3. 25 lb kettle bell sumo squats, 20 lb twists, 25 lb kettlebell press
    4 & 5. 45lb barbell squats, 20lb twists, 30lb press

I am REALLY hoping my bumper plates come in tomorrow... I am dreaming fondly of real deadlifts.

ETA- the barbell squats are the best squats have felt in a long while, and I hope I can keep that groove, and maybe catch back up to my bench again. I am pretty sure I watched a 5 year old out squat me today on instagram... haven’t decided if that is awesome or depressing... but either way if you don’t follow things like happyluma or addybirdlifts on instagram, you are missing out!
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Hello everyone! I'm Kathy. I've been reading about SL for two years now and I have decided to start on Monday...scary. I've downloaded the app.

Could someone please explain the warm up please? I have 20 kg to lose (44 lbs), I am soon to be 55 and a marathon runner - any over 50's in this group?

Hi Kathy,

I'm an over 55, and I do SL twice a week, as my energy is divided between weights and dancing. To warm up, I run around vacuuming, sweeping and mopping, then hit the gym. Kills two birds with one stone haha! I do a few sets with the bar before moving on to the heavy weights. I lost 15 lbs doing SL, and I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life. Good luck to you!
  • hanlonsk
    So, my bumper plates are taking their darn sweet time to get here. So I placated myself with my new bench instead.

3 mile run today.
    Then 3x super set of 10 flys, 10 OHP and 10x leg raises on bench.
    Flys w/10 lb plates, OHP @45

Then, plan was for bench.
    Got 10@45, 5@65, 5@85, 3@95 - then got side tracked, and forgot to add my 2.5 lb plates, so 5@95.
    Plan was to do 5x5@100... but ummm apparently coffee and apple Betty (kind of like apple crisp) do not make very good workout fuel. So.... I got 3@100... and that was it... tried a few times to come back to it, and it just wasn’t going to happen, so 3x sets of 1-3...
  • lkpducky
    Hi Kathy! over 50 here as well (will be 53 next month)
    I used to run marathons but then kept getting running injuries. I am trying to figure out the sweet spot between weight lifting and running to get stronger at both without straining something in the process.

Working on strengthening my left shoulder, which is getting better after a mild strain. At least the sports doc doesn't think it'll go frozen like the right shoulder did a couple of years ago. He said "It's good that you're staying active" isn't that what you say to old people? pfffffffffft
  • hanlonsk
    Sooo not much to report, I got off of work hours late, and wasn’t going to do anything but I had some stress to burn off, it was too late to run, and ...

Loookie lookie I got my cookies!!
    4we3a9fxmb23.jpeg

So,
    10@65
    2x10@85

So, really nothing - but I didn’t want to take the time to figure out how to unpackage my 45s but I missed my deadlifts.