Oct 8 Weekly Challenge: How Habits Work

2»

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,209 Member
    77tes wrote: »
    Great idea. @nebslp ! The shower is a great idea for a trigger! And singing a French song is smart. Merci beaucoup.

Fantastic suggestion, @nebslp! Brilliant!
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    I did not want to post on this thread until I actually established my small habit this week. I did it! Late afternoon and late evening are times when I am prone to overeating and not making healthy food choices. Evenings are easier to deal with as I can go to bed & read a book. So for the small habit, I chose the afternoon. When I felt afternoon hunger/craving, I first had a cup of tea (coffee a few times) and waited to see if I was really hungry. I rewarded myself with a “way to go”, a piece of fruit if really hungry and well, the cup of tea. It worked very well and will continue!

Really enjoyed reading everyone’s entries and the resources at the beginning!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    I joined the Tiny Habits challenge to start tomorrow. My habits will be:

1). After I pour my first cup of coffee, I will read a verse of scripture.

2) After I finish dinner, I will put on my walking shoes.

3) After I take a walk, I will set out tomorrow’s clothes.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    Cafelelia wrote: »
    I did not want to post on this thread until I actually established my small habit this week. I did it! Late afternoon and late evening are times when I am prone to overeating and not making healthy food choices. Evenings are easier to deal with as I can go to bed & read a book. So for the small habit, I chose the afternoon. When I felt afternoon hunger/craving, I first had a cup of tea (coffee a few times) and waited to see if I was really hungry. I rewarded myself with a “way to go”, a piece of fruit if really hungry and well, the cup of tea. It worked very well and will continue!

Really enjoyed reading everyone’s entries and the resources at the beginning!

Nice job! I often mistake thirst for hunger. I might have to try this! I never think to make tea!
  • SwimMighty
    SwimMighty Posts: 38 Member
    managed to finish my bottle of water today. May not seem a lot to some. but it's huge for me. the cue I guess is seeing the bottle and reaching for it rather than something to munch on. reward is feeling good about it... ?

What helped me a ton was getting a couple Bubba cups that have a straw. For some reason, I will drink way more consistently than from a bottle. I had a bottle with a screw on top and that was the worst. Like that little extra motion was enough of a barrier. But the straw... huge solution.

• birgitwebster
    birgitwebster Posts: 64 Member
    edited October 2018
    @SwimMighty . thanks. that's a great idea!

I actually do have a bottle I like to drink out of and it makes all the difference in the world. i've had it for years and while it should probably be replaced it's the one it's easy for me to drink out of...

I actually managed to get my water in every day except Sunday... not sure what happened there... but so far so good.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Went back to my habit of not eating after 5 pm. My bloating issues were getting out of hand and I hate feeling bloated. Also the habit of measuring my food and stopping when I am full. I will make it a habit of replacing a bad thought with a good thought. I did yesterday and I got a headache. I am not use to doing that much work, since I am always anxious and overthinking. I have to say that it worked.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,680 Member
    Well, I missed 2 days out of the 7 for my French, still that's 5 days more than I had done since July. I'll keep trying and see if I can figure out a consistent time of day that works as a trigger.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,209 Member
    Went back to my habit of not eating after 5 pm. My bloating issues were getting out of hand and I hate feeling bloated. Also the habit of measuring my food and stopping when I am full. I will make it a habit of replacing a bad thought with a good thought. I did yesterday and I got a headache. I am not use to doing that much work, since I am always anxious and overthinking. I have to say that it worked.

These are such great habits to work on, @prgirl39mfp. Our thought patterns can become habits, just like other habits. Which means they can be changed. It’s not easy, but it can be done and it’s so worth it.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Thank you @themedalist
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Hey all! I know I haven't checked in much lately, but things are still busy. It's awesome reading everyone's entries and getting ideas for myself. I'm not doing great in the working out department, but my two other goals of drinking more water and getting up and moving more are going well. I really like my habitbull app. It's a great little nudge get me moving in the right direction.

I'll probably be offline a bit more in the coming weeks. My husband is having surgery on his lower back Thursday morning. It's been a long time coming and we're both nervous and ready for this. So everyone keep up the great work, and I'll update you as soon as I can.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,642 Member
    @MmamabearR you’re doing great with 2/3 habits and in time the 3rd will follow if you keep in your mind and see it in the app regularly. I’ve been using HabitBull every day for almost a month and it makes it easy to monitor how I’m doing with all the things I want to do. It really helps me be consistent and notice when I slip. So thank you for mentioning that awhile back.

Good luck with your husband’s surgery. I’m sure it’s a stressful time for you both.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    so I was searching for some additional information on habits and found this gem of a thread from 2 years ago! And I am happy to see some of our current folks still here! :) I need to reread it several times but I love the part about "don't skip the reward!!!!!"

@nebslp are you still singing in the shower?!!! :)

@77tes did you give up on learning the language?

• nebslp
    so I was searching for some additional information on habits and found this gem of a thread from 2 years ago! And I am happy to see some of our current folks still here! :) I need to reread it several times but I love the part about "don't skip the reward!!!!!"

@nebslp are you still singing in the shower?!!! :)

@77tes did you give up on learning the language?

Oh wow!!! This is awesome! I miss the regulars who started out with the group and stayed for a long time.... how are you @prgirl39mfp and @PackerFanInGB?

As for singing the French alphabet....non. I try sometimes but don’t know if I’m saying the letters in French or Spanish😜 I did try to count up to 100 the other day but that didn’t go well past 39. I’m afraid my short term memory is long gone!!! And French verbs are getting all of my attention these days (where is the pulling out my hair icon!?!)

Thanks for reviving this early thread. Very good information and nice refresher.

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,657 Member
    This is an amazing blast from the past!! At first I was so excited and happy because I thought @themedalist was posting!

Then I saw this was from 2018 when we were doing the weekly habit challenges, and thought I was really confused or something since we had transitioned to the monthly challenges sometime back. (Actually I probably should have been asleep any way by this time 🤷‍♀️🛌 instead of hanging out here this late).

Then the mystery was cleared up when I discovered that @SummerSkier had revived the thread.
    Good idea, and Thanks! There truly is so much good info and encouragement to read again from the past threads in this group. Thank you 🌼!

@themedalist Hugs, and please know that we still miss you. You are in a difficult and very busy season of your life, especially because it is continuing during this very uncertain pandemic time on top of the already inherent stress and busyness of caring for your father, working, and whatever else is going on for you. Hugs and also praying for and your family when you come to my mind 🌷.

By the way, I really did need the visual to remind me again of the "Habit Loop" ! Now it is nighty night time for me 😴.

🤠🌺
  • nebslp
    I absolutely miss @themedalist as well! And am so grateful to her that this group is here. The early information is very important to review and especially good for new members, so thanks for reposting it @SummerSkier.
    Chat later!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    well this thread was linked from one of the stickies!!! And it has great info in the first page. I was searching for something on habits - good/bad/ and when do we think they are ingrained and no longer need to always be tracked etc. and came across this which is awesome.

summer