Keto Recipes and Meal Ideas

Options
Cannestra91
Cannestra91 Posts: 53 Member
edited October 2018 in Social Groups
Please feel free to add in any food idea's here to help others this is snacks, groceries, recipes or just meal ideas. You never know what may help someone else!

Your food for thought to get you started:

Breakfast: eggs, bacon, sausage (remember depending on how you choose to do keto this can be pork or turkey based, however I personally limit my pork based bacon and sausage as these fats are more unhealthy compared to turkey, but to each his or her own!)

Lunch: my personal favorite is doing an "adult lunchable," where I make a to go box of cheeses, meat (technically deli meat has nitrates which is frowned upon in strict keto but acceptable in lazy keto). I may utilize leftovers from my dinners as well. I am a full time nurse M-F with weekends at the hospital picking up extra shifts so to go lunches are a must!

Snacks: berries are one kind of acceptable fruit to hit that sweet tooth! If you need a little more crunch however pork rinds are a good chip substitute, as well as Whisps which is a brand of cheese chip that is all cheese no flour, or you can make your own which is very simple as well. Almonds and macadamia nuts are good as well however most other nuts such as cashews are pretty high in carbs and should be avoided if possible. A topic of debate is chocolate: Lily's brand chocolate is generally accepted as an option, however sugar free candy such as Russel Stover brand is debated on whether or not it should be used as some don't count the sugar alcohol as it is a laxative.

Dinner: this is the meal that sets the tone for my day and week! Grilled or baked seasoned not breaded fish is good with a side of asparagus. I personally love my asparagus baked with a smidge of olive oil, salt and parmesan cheese! Chicken, beef, pork you name it meat is on the menu! Just take into account if it is breaded it is a no no or you can substitute with almond flour or crushed pork rinds. Sides can be an issue at first as our normal go to was pasta, bread or potato however steamed broccoli with some seasoning salt is amazing! Additionally cauliflower can be your best friends if you can figure out prep that works for you. Mashed cauliflower whether store bought or home made if tweaked to your liking can taste much like potatoes as well as have the correct texture. Words of advice for mashed cauliflower is make sure to cook it or microwave it for a decently long time in order to get all the extra water out of it so it is more light and fluffy in texture! Cheese, sour cream and garlic salt are my go to get that taste spot on! Lastly casseroles are life for me on this diet as well as being a Midwesterner...we LOVE our casseroles. I will post my top two favorites below!

That's all I have for now, keep calm and keto on!

Replies

• Cannestra91
    Options
    Keto "Hamburger Helper"

Ingredients: 1lb ground meat (personally I like beef)
    1 bag of cauliflower rice
    2oz cream cheese
    2 cups cheddar cheese
    Garlic and salt to taste

Directions: Brown your meat as you normally would, while this is cooking I microwave my cauliflower rice to ensure it is thawed/cooked for 5 minutes. Once the meat is browned drain off the fluids and add in the rice and garlic on a medium to low simmer till the cauliflower goes from white to slightly translucent, kind of like cooking onion on the stove top. Add in cream cheese and cheddar cheese till it has a slightly creamy texture like hamburger helper or mac and cheese you may have to add more of the two cheeses to accomplish this. Once the texture is to your liking add in salt to your tasting preference. Once this is achieved plate and top with cheese if you so desire! Enjoy!!
  • Cannestra91
    Options
    Keto Taco Skillet

Ingredients: 1lb ground meat 1bag of cauliflower rice
    1/4 cup diced onion 1/4 cup diced green pepper
    2 tsp minced garlic 1 can Rotel with green chili's
    1/4 cup chicken broth cheese to garnish

Directions: Brown your meat as you normally would, while this is cooking I microwave my cauliflower rice to ensure it is properly thawed/cooked. Once the meat is cooked drain off the fluids and add in the onion, pepper, and garlic for 2-4 minutes. Next add in the cauliflower and cook till it becomes slightly translucent, follow this with the can of Rotel making sure to drain off the extra fluid in the can and add the chicken broth. Set the stove to a low simmer for 10 minutes till all fluid is absorbed. Next top with cheese and recover for 5 minutes till the cheese melts over the top! Serve and enjoy!
  • Cannestra91
    Options
    Fabulous and tasty quick lunch or snack idea: deli sliced meat of choice (currently I am enjoying salami from the deli) with a little bit of laughing cow cheese-flavor of choice (current choice is the queso fresco chipotle) smeared on the meat. Finally you roll up the meat and cheese and it is amazing!
  • Cannestra91
    Options
    Keto and Ordering Out:

My personal favorite go-to keto meal when eating out is going to Chipotle and ordering a bowl. The following is how I order my bowl to ensure the ingredients are keto friendly:

**Bowl with no rice or beans, double steak (if I'm ravenous), fajita peppers, Pico salsa, cheese and last but not least a dollop of guacamole! If you are low on calories for the day I say opt for the guac however if your close to your limit you can substitute the guac for sour cream as it is half the calories! After this personally I generously slather Tabasco Chipotle flavoring on top as I love it with a kick!
  • Cannestra91
    Options
    Keto late night snack! Broccoli steamed with a bit of garlic salt just hit the spot šŸ˜
  • Entropy099
    Entropy099 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When Iā€™m in the mood to be bad and get fast food, I go get a bacon burger without the bun, usually 2-4 carbs without any sauce and 5-9 for some saucier burgers.

For the most part I have pre-measured snack packs for my week that have nuts and kale, cheese, and a chunk of broccoli, then I end my night with some cheesy scrambled eggs.
  • Cannestra91
    Options
    Hardee's offers any of their burgers with a lettuce wrap instead of the bun, I have gotten the number four as a lettuce wrapped burger I just pick the onion off the burger since they aren't very keto friendly as well as no one needs keto and onion breath :D:D
  • Cannestra91
    Options
    Guys, depending on how strict keto you are you'll know in terms of whipped topping home made is preferred to store bought due to ingredients. However in a pinch cool whip has flavored topping; currently have the brownie batter and oreo ones and let me tell you for 4gms of carbs a serving it is amazing for a little fat bomb! I just have to exercise self control to be honest :D
  • Cannestra91
    Options
    Longshore that looks delish!!šŸ™ŒšŸ™ŒšŸ™Œ
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My go to meal of late has been baked chicken thighs with homemade mesquite seasoning, roasted cauliflower with cheddar cheese sprinkled on at the end of roasting.