What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Here's where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• Toyota100
    Toyota100 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I didn't see this section last month. I plan to vent/celebrate here this month if needed.
  • bubblegum2fitness
    bubblegum2fitness Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    With all the Christmas stuff in stores, I've been thinking about Christmas, and the days that follow. I've already got my presents for my dad. (Some Olympics glasses and a pre-order of a novel he wants.) I've also thought about how I'm going to change my diet around Christmas. I think I'll be taking the last 2 weeks as a diet break, including New Year's day. That means eating at around maintenance and probably focusing on strength exercises. This is so I won't have to stress about calories and macros when spending time with family.
  • Turbolifts
    Turbolifts Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I binged on snackes and nibblies at a work afternoon tea today. Then it was the butter + peanut butter (the terrible kind - not the natural kind) and the nuts and the candy.

Goddamnit, self. You're better than this.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    @Turbolifts fts Goddamnit, self. You're better than this.[/quote]

Yes you are!! Just jump back on tomorrow ... and take just a moment to problem solve the binge to see if there is anything you can learn. Then move on. It was just one blip in the marathon of healthy living.
  • Turbolifts
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    @Turbolifts fts Goddamnit, self. You're better than this.

Yes you are!! Just jump back on tomorrow ... and take just a moment to problem solve the binge to see if there is anything you can learn. Then move on. It was just one blip in the marathon of healthy living.[/quote]

Thank you. This really made me smile and feel better/more empowered.

WE'VE GOT THIS, TEAM! :D:D:D:D
  • jan110144
    Options
    Today marks the 3-month anniversary of my journey toward a healthier lifestyle. 30 pounds down and much more nutritionally wise than I was before. Things I have learned thus far ...

1. If I shouldn't eat it, don't put it in my grocery cart.
    2. Don't let myself get too hungry or too tired (Eat when I should, don't let calorie deficit get too large, go to bed at a decent time!)
    3. Exercise is key to not only weight loss but also mood and hunger control
    4. Plan ahead ... it is much easier for me to make good decisions when I anticipate challenges and plan for them.
    5. Pay attention to nutrients, not just calories
    7. TRACK

I am curious what others have 'discovered' during their journeys.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The most important thing I learned from my weight loss journey which commenced in 2011 was to eat simple foods. Forget the recipes. If you want a potato, eat a potato but don't turn it into potatoes au gratin or a loaded baked stuffed potato. If you want an apple, eat an apple...but not apple pie. If you want cheese, have a piece of cheese, but not cheese souffle. Veggies are great...but avoid the dip or the creamed recipes, including creamed soups. Forget the comfort foods like mac & cheese, biscuits & gravy, stew with biscuits, chicken and dumplings, and casseroles. The simple foods are those packed with nutrients minus all of the calories from the recipes. I'm not saying the recipes aren't delicious, because they are...but they complicate your life when it comes to food preparation and your overall health. Your life will be simpler, clean-up in the kitchen is much easier, and you'll be healthier if you keep it simple.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    I did some calculations this morning, after my weekly weigh-in .... in the 18 months since I started keeping records (May 1, 2017) I have released a hair over 20% of my starting body mass (down 36.5 pounds) .

A not-often mentioned related NSV? I don't snore any more. Hubby is VERY pleased about that particular NSV, as well as proud of the cumulative effect of the usual ones (overall health and appearance)
  • BMcC9
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10303793/who-gained-weight-during-the-holidays-i-have-a-solution/p1

I saw this referenced in another group - looks like something worth reading whether you are anticipating / dreading upcoming holidays and special event, or just been having a general tough time lately .... the intro by @winogelato detailing the "PP Program" is wonderful - clear, straightforward, engaging. The other 12 pgs are people's responses to trying it out.

I would like to know what others think of it .... shall I plan to repost the link again in early Dec?
  • peachpastries
    peachpastries Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    oof I've been struggling hard with my eating habits, depression & staying motivated.

Too long a story (of me just whining & making excuses) to explain but overall I just have not been taking much care of my body,( actually I AM taking care of myself but when it comes to eating, I'm overeating soooo much sugar) & I have no energy to workout like I should (warmups don't normally make me lighthead & overly emotional, but they do right now lol).

I'm kiiiiindaaa embarrassed, cuz it seems like so many of y'all have done so well this month and I've fallen back. But I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself, as this is mostly my own fault and in my own power to change, however there's this mental block (aka feeling way too frazzled and out of order to organize myself) that's a bit difficult to hop over.

It's only the 9th, and today I'm doing a lot better and I'm hoping I can get back to normal soon. I almost left this group cuz I was worried I'll just completely fail this month. Like I have high expectations on myself, and I feel like other people have high expectations of me too so falling back as hard as I did these couple of months sucks cuz I should be better than this but I haven't managed my mental health & eating habits very well and now I'm stuck in a cycle.

But something that helps a lot, is not isolating myself! I forgot that when I open up to people and when I actively try to support others and try to be social in some way and let myself be involved with the activities, I'm a lot more grounded & I feel more mindful about the healthy choices I should make. I'm not as alone as I think I am and I shouldn't hide myself in shame.

Everyone has their own struggle with food and health and many other things, and you're not a terrible person for slipping up! Even when you fall back down 7 times in a row, you should still get back up and learn from your mistakes anyways!
  • jan110144
    Options
    @peachpastries as someone who spent much of the first part of this year losing and regaining the same 10 pounds, I can relate to what you are feeling. It took me awhile to find what really works for me.

Good for you for continuing to stay involved and not give up!! Just keep coming back. Experiment with your program (how much, when and what you are eating, hiw much, what and when you are exercising, etc). You WILL find what works for you. In the meantime, we are all here for you.
  • w8goal4life
    Options
    @peachpastries While you seem to feel you are struggling, you are making tremendous daily progress with insight. You can be the person who wants to inspire others one small victory at a time; and the following image will apply to you with your continued emphasis on healthy eating.
    933i9omcfofx.jpg

P.S. I never referred to my food plan as a "diet." Diet was a 4-letter word which, to me, seemed to denote "deprivation." The word "diet" just didn't make me feel good about myself. I always referred to my eating protocol as "my nutrition plan" which seemed to have a totally different connotation. A nutrition plan made me feel like I was doing something healthful for my well being. A "nutrition plan" energized me to focus on healthy choices, and put me in control.
  • jan110144
    Options
    @w8goal4life ... "nutrition plan" ... Love it. Also, for me, "diet" suggests something that stars and the ends. "Nutriton Plan" suggests something more fluid, adjustable and forever ... precisely what I am working on :smile:
  • w8goal4life
    Options
    A "nutrition plan" is empowering and focused. @jan110144 I agree with you, it is also a "fluid, adjustable and forever" gift that we choose to give to ourselves. May we all succeed, one day at a time!
  • peachpastries
    peachpastries Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    @jan110144 & @w8goal4life thank yall so much for understanding! <3

and i LOVE w8goal4life's concept on "nutrition plans", that's exactly how i like to feel about my food now! even tho i'm overeating in foods i shouldn't eat, i still make an emphasis to get enough protein & vitamins/nutrients to manage my energy and health the best i can.

y'all are so awesome!! o:)
  • w8goal4life
    Options
    @peachpastries WOW... you ARE brave. I'm 68 and my sisters have been trying to convince me to cut my hair since I turned 40. Needless to say, I wasn't very compliant because it is still long! Come to think of it...I probably haven't matured yet, either. We're most likely not fully ripened until we're ready to put one foot in the ground. :) P.S. I just wish my long hair was all gray or all white instead of the mousy/brown and gray color I have!
  • Turbolifts
    Options
    I've been training with a PT on and off since about 2013, when I fell in LOVE with strength training.

Yesterday, I wrote my very first self-created/self-guided training programme. It's a 4 week programme, 4 days of training per week, and looks like this:

Day 1: Chest, Quads + Glutes
    Day 2: Arms, Hamstrings + Calves
    Day 3: Triceps + Cardio
    Day 4: Shoulders + Cardio

I'm not entirely sure about which order I'll run them in, but I did Day 1 this morning and I FREAKING NAILED IT. I didn't push the weights as heavily as I COULD have, but this was the first time I'd put all the last 5 years into practice beyond just writing up a one-off workout - this is a proper, I'm-going-to-run-with-this-for-4-weeks-then-measure-again, no-holds-barred programme. I'm REALLY proud of it and myself for getting it done. I felt fatigue, I concentrated on form, AND I didn't substitute/get lazy/give up too early.

Depending on if I feel DOMS tomorrow morning (which I really hope I do, because that'll mean I did it right!), I'll either do Day 2 or Day 3 - which will give me an idea of how I'm going to orient this programme going forward.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOP! I'M SO EXCITEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  • BMcC9
    Options
    A very good read I have come across ... hope it also resonates with someone(s) else here ...
  • w8goal4life
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    A very good read I have come across ...
    Thank you for sharing. It IS a good read. I particularly liked this statement which might, in fact, be enough for some folks to make a decision/commitment: "You are going to die. And neglecting your health and fitness is more likely to hasten your departure."