Enough is enough!! Help!

Options
emily889
emily889 Posts: 296 Member
Hey ladies. I am hitting rock bottom. There is no question about it. My emotional eating and my give a damn are basically screwing me. I want to kick this issue and want some support/friends that are going through the same thing to act as an accountability partner. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 26. The floodgates opened because when my doctor mentioned it, it all clicked. Why I couldn't get pregnant in my now over marriage, why I had no periods, the embarrassing hair on my chin and the lack of hair on my scalp, mood sucks, no energy... you know the list.

I was starting to see a guy when I got diagnosed and now we are living together and I REALLY want to lose this weight to get my sex drive back and hopefully have a happy marriage with him someday. I love him but this dang disease has put a strain on our relationship big time. Any guidance, articles to read, or any ideas on diets would be amazing. (I don't have insurance because I am self-employed so no luck with metformin). Add me!

Replies

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome! I'm Ali.

If I can give any bit of advice its start with small attainable habits. I started by replacing my drive thru breakfast with a protein shake. Once that stuck, I felt good about achieving my goal and I set another. Healthy lunch. That habit stuck, I added in more walking. I basically started out by doing this 30 day challenge - its geared towards women trying to conceive but not exclusive to them. http://www.smartfertilitychoices.com/free-30-day-pcos-diet-challenge/

Some supplements to check out that are available over the counter would be Ovasitol, which works similarly to metformin, it's a little pricey but if it works for you, totally worth it! Other ones to look into include; vitamin D, vitamin b12, chromium, vitex, ashwaghanda, evening primrose oil, fish oil

Also, my diary is open if you want to take a peak. I keep carbs moderate and try to watch my sugars. But generally, I eat what I want within reason.

Good luck!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Actually, metformin is pretty cheap, regardless of insurance coverage... It's worth checking into.

If you take Vitamin D, make sure you get Vitamin K2, also, or it's not effective.

Chromium makes my blood sugar chaotic, which it isn't otherwise.

Vitex, I haven't taken. Ashawaghanda didn't do anything to me. Evening primrose oil made me super cranky and some other side effects, I don't remember. Fish oil I've taken off and on over the years, and I never felt any difference.

But getting my D3/K2 up, getting my B-complex and B-12 up in range, eating iron rich foods, and getting my thyroid managed (those same supplements plus a few others) made the most difference for me, personally. Inositol played havoc with my cycles, which I choose to manage through hormonal pills (great for some, terrible for others).

Good luck.
  • mzlovely22
    mzlovely22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am a 29yo female. For years i have struggled with acne, mood swings, constant fatigue, crazy junkfood cravings, sleepless nights,headaches, 2 ectopic pregnancies, panic and anxiety attacks. After years of failing to conceive naturally I noticed my depression getting worse. I hardly get out of bed im tired of plucking hairs from my breasts and chin and constantly worrying that im not good enough to be in a loving relationship. Since the age of 18 i was told i wouldn't have children naturally and im just hoping with the new discovery of having pcos and now starting inositol im hoping to feel a lot better. I am thinking of taking pregnenlone and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Ha! I just reread and saw that it was the Ovasitol that was referenced as being expensive, not the Metformin! LOL

Berberine is a possible alternative to Metformin, too...but getting the proper doses can end up expensive if you don't find a good source.

@mzlovely22

I responded about the Pregnenlone in a different post, but I forgot to tag you, so I'll do it here, too - and it's a brand name version that has both types of Inositol, if I remember correctly. If you can get it reasonably priced, the incremental dosages can be helpful for some folks.

Personally, I prefer to find independent sources (generally generics or less expensive but reliable brands) and do the dosing myself, as I find my optimal doses might end up being different than what is in the pre-sized dosages in a brand name one like that one...

But, if the convenience of individual daily doses and stuff will help you out, I'd say it's worth the price. It's all about what you need. But I have heard it is good quality, just expensive.