Adios, 40 lb regain — see you soon, goal!

Options
4 years out, HW 257, LW 167, regained 40, and as of today, lost it. Woot! My regain was from stress, wine, and denial. I finally got back on track in May by tracking every. damn. thing, by saying no to booze and carbs, and by using Phentermine (with my doc’s support). I also work out a few mornings a week with my VSG-buddy, who had the same trajectory, but is able to lose without giving up booze, of which I am totally jealous. I still have 17 lbs to goal but I am finally being honest with myself, that I am *not* like anyone else and my ability to fight this chronic disease — for the rest of my life — will require real sacrifice! Not “moderation.” My friend who is allergic to nuts doesn’t feel sorry for herself or apologetic to others. Will I remember to tell myself that I’m allergic to certain foods, situations, and thought patterns? That the “adverse reaction” is not just weight gain but self-loathing? To say no thanks to sugar, wine, bread? I am confident now that I know how to reach goal, but realistic enough to know that life will throw me some curveballs, and I need to train for them like a ninja.

Replies

• Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post... I am with you on this!
  • seattlehorn
    seattlehorn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome! :) How are you planning for holidays? Is it too much to try and keep losing during party season?
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i'm actually in the "losing the regain phase" and "saying no to wine phase". My plan is to stay on course like this. I've gained 25lbs from my lowest weight (230 hw, 219 sw, 135 lw) in less than a year. Marriage issues, my dad declining health wise, and basically me just sticking my head in the sand and refuse to admit that I was my biggest obstacle, caused me to gain. I'm back to logging EVERYTHING i eat, and weighing myself every day. I'm cutting out junk as well as wine ( :'( ) because i'm not happy/healthy where i am now with my body. I have a gym in my office building that my company supplies, so I am starting to go a couple of mornings a week with one of the other women here, even if it's just for a half hour, at least I'm moving.. I'm hoping that doing this will keep me on track to lose this regain, even through the holidays...
  • drac2you
    drac2you Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to break the mother of all stalls - 1.5 yrs - which I am coming to realize was due to my slipping back into some old bad habits a bit too often. No more indulgences on a regular schedule, only for when have reached a personal goal. I've got to try to not be so hard on myself because that does bring on the self-loathing, instead I've got to be proactive and realize that this IS a lifestyle change I have control over.
  • imboswell721
    imboswell721 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Starting back today. (220 hw, 168 lw) currently at 194. I just don't know what happened. I got into a little bit won't hurt and now I up over 30 lbs. Protein shake this morning, chicken salad for lunch and regular salad for dinner. (this is my goal. Wish me luck.
  • Dot160
    Dot160 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 5 years post op, and I gained 20lbs in the last year. My issue was booze also. Cider Beer, and most nights 4-5 cans. That is almost 800 calories a night! Food is not my issue, and I still can use my "tool" (small stomach) to eat small. It is just that drink.. and why it all of a sudden hit me this past year, is the puzzle. I see so many WLS people go through the drinking thing. I guess, we are channeling our addiction for food into something else? Taking day by day, and realizing I cannot "social drink". Someday, maybe. Day 1 starts now.
  • Keikix3
    Keikix3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Me too, 20 lbs back on, rolls around the tum, feel huge. I am 3 years post op, I never had the huge weight loss other folks have had, I seemed to get stuck and despite 800 cal a day and sticking to it 80% of the time I never fell below 220lbs. Then overseas travel for 2 months and I gained 12 lbs and this year another 8. So discouraging at times, but I dust myself off and try again and again and again. I don't drink much so can't say thats a factor, but if a cookie comes near me it gets inhaled magically, I didn't do it did I? I had a series of health issues and surgery that kept me from doing very much exercise other than PT, and I have never been one to do it in front of a TV show, let alone a gym! I am going to check here more often for ideas and assistance to get back on the track again. Has anyone found a website they like and does it help? Thanks, and see you tomorrow
  • seattlehorn
    seattlehorn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can’t believe I wrote that post and here I am, 5 years later, having regained 45 (!!). I was overconfident. Thought it was just a little “Corona fluff.”

But I had stopped tracking, started wining, and got careless. Time to get real.