January 3 sign in

Options

Replies

• w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    @Sue2bthin The posts are all chronological. Another option to comment aside from the "quote" option described by jan110144 is to simply start your post with the ampersand symbol followed by the team mate you wish to connect with as I have done here. The team mate will then receive a notification that he/she was mentioned in a post.
  • loopydo2017
    loopydo2017 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Yes x3. Fast and rest day so exercise was walking, handstand practice and 20 minutes of stretching.
    These days I don’t eat exercise calories, mainly because my strength training workouts don’t burn many and I’d rather have a slight buffer since I’m not at an aggressive deficit. Once spring hits and I can be more active outside and do more cardio then I do eat them back.
  • shirgify
    shirgify Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Exercise: Yes, 60 min circuit/strength training class focus upper body and abs.
    Calories: Yes, 70 to spare.
    Tracked: Yes

On eating back exercise calories, I try to eat half back. But will allow some leaway if it's a special event. Like tonight I went to a hockey game with my family and was able to eat 4 sour candies and some popcorn along with the kids and not feel bad (all tracked of course).

I'm really happy I stumbled onto this challenge when I did. I was spiralling into a deep bingepurge cycle and this has snapped me back. Three days straight doesn't seem like much but it's a big deal for me.
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 if points works for you...use points!
    My goal is to help you reach your goals!
    Your friend, Rick
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    @Sue2bthin Hi Sue,
    My MFP screen name is RangerRickL. My real name is Rick Law and I am a lawyer
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes -- 58 minutes of strength this morning, and ending the day with almost 14,000 steps.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • holly2e
    holly2e Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes
    Exercise: yes, 60 min yoga

I try to stay at a small caloric deficit, so do eat back my calories if I’ve earned a lot.

I find that planning my meals the night before and then just adjusting quantities or changes throughout the day is super helpful in staying under my calorie goal.
  • djinn924
    djinn924 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Exercise: yes
    Calories: yes
    Tracking: yes
  • kedlyo
    kedlyo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yep! Stair climber to warmup, then an hour of weights.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes, way under...appetite was nonexistent today, but tomorrow I will be diligent about hitting my protein goal and eating my full calorie allottment.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yep

Re: eating back exercise calories... It varies based on a couple things. When I am trying to build muscle (now) I focus on eating 100g of protein each day, which is hard for me. I don't like meat, and the proteins I really like come with a bunch of carbs and fat (read:extra calories). This normally leaves me with no calorie deficit at the end of the day. But then I take comfort in knowing that I will build muscle more quickly, and the added muscle will help boost my metabolism all day. When I am trying to lose fat I try to end my day about 200-300 cal short. If I start to feel like I don't have enough energy for a good workout, or my fat loss has plateaued, then I will eat back every exercise calorie. It usually gets me back on track.
    And some days I only exercise so I can eat ice cream! ;)
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    January 3rd

Exercise: Yes! 40 minutes of recumbent bike and treadmill
    Calories: Yes!
    Tracked: Yes!
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,278 Member
    Options
    Exercised: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes
  • anndeemarie
    anndeemarie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes 35 elliptical
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes even with Baja Fresh! Love the chili lime shrimp salad.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes and used it to allot for my final 100 cals remaining. Enjoyed a dannon greek yogurt for dessert!

I'm getting better at tracking and using the data. I love the macros tool. I try to log as I'm planning a meal, or very least right after I've eaten. Afternoon and evening I check that to see what my meals should contain (usually Protein & fat). Since I'm trying to lose I do not eat back my exercise calories. I hope to some day!
  • phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. 50 min strength training and 30 min cardio.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Do I eat back exercise calories? It depends. For a really long run or intense exercise day, I need to eat back some of those calories. For lighter days, I may not eat back any calories or else I don’t lose any weight.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi All, on Jan. 1st I decided that I needed a break from everything! So I took one. I’m still taking a break from a lot of my work, but the “diet break” needs to be over! Jan 1-3 will be pass days for me, and I’ll check in again later on the Jan. 4th thread. I could easily need more pass days this month, so I could be out of the winner’s circle, but I would love to have the accountability.
  • catlouisephillips7501
    Options
    Excercise yes
    Calories yes
    Tracked yes
  • molly3210
    molly3210 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Planned pass. Tracked and met personal goals.

Exercise calories: Since my main goal is weight loss, no, I don't tend to eat back exercise calories. I only eat them back if it's a planned day where I intentionally want to offset an indulgent meal or snack. Extra calories burned takes me closer to my goals!

Also, I hear that many apps/devices are notorious for overestimating the amount of calories burned. I have a hard time believing those numbers when there are so many variables involved with exercise.