January 4 sign in

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes - 46 minutes on the mini-trampoline (DELIBERATELY restrained for Day 1 of a new exergame tour) PLUS 2 x 7 minutes HIIT on my stationary bike. Bike CLAIMS that was over 160 calories in the 14 combined minutes....
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes - counted the usual cardio calories,but reserving judgement on the HIIT ones and only recording them in the Exercise Log note section
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Today happens to be my weekly weigh-in day on another challenge, which is convenient. I will see where I am on the scale next Friday and compare that with CO exercise calories the bike claims I burned over the week .... and see what I get.

Which brings me to the CICO comment request. Most of what I would say has already been said by now.

In terms of basic bio-chemistry, that's the way life-forms on this planet / in this dimension are designed to work. The internal auto-triggering chemical reactions take whatever elements / compounds are given it - do their thing as best they can - and then goes to whatever default choice makes the best chemical sense for either fuel burning or storage, depending on the CI vs CO ratio.

The "trick" to this, IMHO, is learning and deliberately providing the most-valuable elements/ compounds needed of optimal bio-chemical balance for YOUR system the majority of the time.

That looks like:
    • Listen to your body, AND don't fight / ignore any very real bio-chemical situations your doctor / medical advisor has identified.
    • Adjust your MFP macro display for whatever you need to pay attention to, and set your main (carb / fat / protein) overall percentages accordingly. Someone may have been advised to go keto, and so will make the protein % higher. Someone else may keep them at the default proportion with no issue, but need to know they are both getting enough Potassium (WANT this right up to or over the Green / Red border) while not overdoing the sodium (WANT to keep this nicely below the Green / Red border)

What @zorrocat said just above me is a good example, and doesn't even really need the "but" he included.

The same # CI but with a proportionally higher-than-default protein % seems to support/fuel his exercise program better than when the carbs are left at the default %.
    zorrocat wrote: »
    ... but I find that I'm at my healthiest when I consistently both stay under on calories AND hit my protein target. So, today I was still under my calories, but not in a quality way ...

• AlecLightwool
    AlecLightwool Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Jan 4
    Exercise: school
    Calories: over
    Tracked: yes
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    January 4th

Exercise: Yes, 7700 steps with most of it coming from purposeful/mindful walking
    Calories: Yes
    Fracked: Yes
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154. Thanks so much for your articulate post.
    My report: I’m traveling by car and I’m in my second day. Thanks to tracking, I am able to know and control CICO. This was a 3 yes day.
    Before I the commitment to the UAC, I did not have a reliable feedback tool to accurately adjust my consumption of food and beverage during travel
  • Sue2bthin
    Sue2bthin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Exercise - yes
    Tracking - yes
    Stayed within calorie allowance - yes
    Looking forward to reading about CICO - have been Vegan since December 5th, and have read a ton about the quality of the calories that go in, how to ensure proper nutrient intake, and how to make things yummy and satisfying when eating Vegan. Really enjoying this challenge. I also enjoy reading everyone’s input and ideas.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Yes/yes/yes :)
  • LMK20018
    LMK20018 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Pass today
  • phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Jan 4
    Exercise: Yes. Ran 90 minutes
    Track: yes
    Calories: yes

CICO? To echo what several of you have already said: CICO + lower carb + higher protein works best for me and keeps my feeling sated and energetic while working on weight loss.

Forgot to mention yesterday- I usually track as I go. I have pretracked when I know it may be a challenging day and appreciate the reminder to do that more often!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,890 Member
    Options
    1/4
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? ✅ Treadmill/Run/Walk/Yoga
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? ✅
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? ✅
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • anndeemarie
    anndeemarie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes speed walking hills with friends, 55 min
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes although it was hard cause I was out all day. But was very mindful and did it!
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes- thankful MFP has such a good database.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Day 2 of work trip
    Exercise: Yes. Lifted in hotel gym for 45 minutes.

Calories: Nope. Way over. Mexican for lunch and pizza for dinner, plus complimentary snacks at hotel. 2 of my faves (Mexican and pizza) and I ate way too much. Feel free to peruse my open diary for the gory details😔.

Tracked: Yes. All 4000+ calories!

1st pass day used. Tomorrow is a new day!

1 pass day used in January.
  • susiejof
    susiejof Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    1/4
    Exercise- Yes, 50 min. walk
    Calories-Yes, finally getting over my urge to eat as if it was still the holidays and each meal should include treats of some kind.
    Tracking-Yes

CICO has been the method I’ve used to successfully lose weight during the last few years. Eating at a deficit continues to work for me. Macros matter also. I monitor protein most closely because I’m a vegetarian and have to be pretty intentional to reach my protein goals each day.
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    roma49 wrote: »
    3 x Yes
    However yesterday I thought I was on the mend .... WRONG today when I returned from walking the puppy I feel like I've been trampled by a herd of wilder beast

Big hugs Roma, everyone has an awful cold bug in Norfolk, I seem to be on the mend but I did find it kept returning and soooo cold out there now! Made my headache lol, take care xx
  • holly2e
    holly2e Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Calories: yes
    Tracking: yes (guessing on a dinner out but did my best)
    Exercise: yes, 60 min yoga

I have done both ways, CICO with no regard for nutrition, and now eating much more healthfully while still watching calories. I feel so much better and less hungry with quality calories.
  • molly3210
    molly3210 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Planned pass day for January 4
    Barely made personal goals, slightly over in calories.

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    Jan 4
    Yes x3
    Great writing @RangerRickL !!

I keep CI under CO & I focus on sodium < 1,500mg, sat fat, protein, water, carbs

I’m doing this for better health!! Nutrition makes a difference!3aihtig0vep1.png