Help w protein vs carbs

Options
If u have an open diary & could help me in getting enough protein w/o overdoing carbs, I'd appreciate the add! Thank you!!!

Replies

• abt1996
    abt1996 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, I don't know if you sorted out your macros or not, but hemp seeds really helped me hit my macros.
  • fratcliffe
    fratcliffe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tofu tofu tofu 😊😊
    I have an open diary, but not sure how useful you'll find it. Feel free to take a look though xx
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hemp seeds, chia seeds, tofu, tempeh, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, asparagus, mushrooms, flax seeds, nuts and edamame.
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes, I struggle to keep my protein up and fats down so I am supplementing.
  • tpaul3492
    tpaul3492 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I've been a vegan for one whole year. I struggle to gain weight but I've realized that I have to picture it as a trinity carbs, fats and proteins. Beans are one of the best sources of protein available and cheapest. Look at your eating habits and how much fat you possibly could be eating. Try to go with a wholefoods diet as much as possible.

Hope this helps punkypenny

Tim
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you can handle gluten, making seitan dishes is a good way to get protein. I got some from fatfreevegan.com, fortunately not truly fat free. I've used a couple of her seitan "roasts" very successfully as Thanksgiving protein-centerpieces, and the vegan ribz (barbecued or baked) are more simple, everyday protein rich snacks or meals. There are also TVP recipes, and quinoa, I think. And the Appetite for Reduction vegan cookbook is better than most about having all the nutritional info by each recipe. Her hummus and lots of bean, lentil, and tofu recipes add a lot of protein without loads of calories. I really like her soup recipes, especially in winter.

I feel a bit of a hypocrite writing that, since I've mostly been supplementing right now, but that's due to illness. I put pea protein powder, with water and lots of cinnamon, in my applesauce, but I can't really recommend it to any but very unwell vegans on low fiber diets. Soy yogurt has protein, too, but I find it too sweet and gross. Adding berries helps with that, though.