What's your keto journey?

Options
Cannestra91
Cannestra91 Posts: 53 Member
Feel free jump in tell us YOUR story what made you want to make a change and your journey thus far with Keto?

Story time: I have been a serial starter...no joke. I cant even count how many times I have started and stopped a diet. My weight fluctuated up and down for years now, but steadily rising over that time. Finally I said ok I need to actually make some lifestyle changes or I will give myself a ton of preventable conditions that I see in my family such as obesity and diabetes. I wondered if I could just go back to calorie counting as that had worked before, but inevitably I felt discouraged by the fact that I was always hungry. Seriously my idiotic self was trying to eat ramen noodles and rationalized it with how it fit into my daily calories just fine, so I should be ok! Not only did this caused me to come to more stand stills than I can count but I gained weight back that I had once lost. I finally realized I needed to modify not only how much I was eating but what I was eating. One day a good friend of mine told me about this keto thang and I was intrigued by how he described the diet as well as his personal results. I was wary at first as carbs were my life and the idea of giving that up scared me more than giving up sugar. I also never saw myself counting macros or taking that into consideration....seemed like something that just went over my head. I didn't know what I could eat or how to eat, thanks to Pinterest and Facebook for providing me recipes I was finally able to adhere to keto and realized this is doable and I can be happy with what I am eating. Thanks to MyFitnessPal I didn't have to count my macros rather make sure I log my food and monitor it through out the day and tweak with snacks or meals in things I was lacking in. I saw a lack of keto presence on this site so I figured I would start a group for those of us looking for a little more support as I know some people catch a lot of flack for following keto. This is a group for all of us to show support for each other, so keep calm and keto on :)

Replies

• Cannestra91
    Options
    I have two good friends who recently started on keto and though they are not doing keto with every meal at this time they have incorporated it into their main meals and snacks. Just one week in and they are currently reporting that overall they feel better, that any bloating pressure they had prior in their abdomen has gone down significantly. They both had substantial weight loss with their first week as well. I am hoping that they keep up with it as they are both having great results! Wishing these two the best on the start of their keto journey!
  • Cannestra91
    Options
    Some days or weeks on keto I may not feel like I have made many gains in terms of weight loss, but let me tell you my face is definitely not as round as it once was, and my tummy is soo much flatter! My thighs have slowly been slimming down as well. There is nothing more rewarding that even though you hop on that scale and feel discouraged that you didn't lose any weight; to see or feel the difference in clothing or appearance. The whoosh is a real thing folks, that scale may not be going down but you could be going down in inches, those fat cells clinging onto water just before they shrink into nothingness. Scale victories are great, but those measurements and before and after pics sometimes can help you find a bright light on your darkest days. I am taking this journey day by day, some days or weeks are more challenging than others, but for the end result its worth it. Those dark or challenging days are the days that define us either by us working past that challenge or the victory of later overcoming that moment of weakness rather than letting it consume us. I take every day of this journey in stride and appreciate what it has to offer me <3
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    My story is similar to yours. I've been on mfp 8years and lost and gained a few times. I did P90X lost 40 only to gain it and them some later. Went low carb lost 21 in a month and then fell off because of some stuff in life. Ever since then I'd toy with the idea of doing it again but then quit. Well finally I got my mind right at first I was doing under 100 carbs but I was still gaining so I went to 50 and then decided if I was going to do this I was going full fledged, so I aim for 20 net carbs. This is the start of week three and I'm down 10 pounds. So just like I did when I first joined mfp so many years ago I'm fully immersing myself in all things related to winning this battle for good
  • Cannestra91
    Options
    Way to go mrmarius!! Congrats on the lose of 10lbs over 3 weeks! Sounds like you have an amazing start to your journey! Keep it up and never lose sight of your goals :smiley:
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Four more as of today, and I feel much better eating this way
  • mommy81
    mommy81 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Way to go! That's great weight loss. Im on my fourth week of keto and have lost about 8 lbs. The last two keep going up and down so I should say 6 😂 I'm aiming for 8 more by Dec. 31. Best of luck!
  • Cannestra91
    Options
    Following a diet of any kind or in this case a lifestyle change doesn't come short of those critics out there. Everyone I am sure knows at least one person out there in your life that will turn their nose up at you at the mention of "diet" or "keto." For me that person is my father; always has and always will be the person who associates losing weight as starvation and muscle wasting rather than understanding it is a means of becoming a healthier person in the long run. As a child and adolescent growing up in that house I knew I was prone to gain weight easily and that is what I did, it was a blessing and a curse that I lived in a house where the concept of "dieting" was so taboo that mentioning it alone subjected you to a lecture of how bad it was. I never was allowed to try to lose weight during those years, it was a curse to my self-esteem to see the scales go up and my confidence diminishing, however probably a blessing as a teenager like myself had no idea how to eat properly and probably would have caused issues with doing so in an unhealthy manner. Fast forward to this past weekend and I have my parents over for dinner and my father is already eyeing me with disapproval as I mention keto and such. I don't need to be a mind reader to know he is silently scorning me. The meal I prepared was a cheesy taco skillet using cauliflower rice instead of rice, everyone seemed to love it and I was ecstatic to have my mom praise the meal. I noticed a slightly softened look in my father's eyes in that a healthy meal didn't mean you had to starve yourself or live like a rabbit. I know I still have a ways to go in showing him you can do this healthy and I am not harming myself in the long run. My take away from this weekend is that I cant just tell my father what I am doing, sometimes seeing and experiencing is just what it takes in order to believe.
  • SaturnsbestMoon
    SaturnsbestMoon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight my entire life. I was an obese child. An obese teen and an obese adult. A few years ago I had started calorie counting and making healthier choices after my 2nd child, I lost over 30 Lbs. I was down below 200 for the first time since I was 11. YES! I was a 200+ lb 11 year old. I met my hubby and the weight started creeping back in, I stopped counting, started happy eating instead of sad eating. My husband Happy ate with me but I've had BED and a sugar/carb addiction I couldn't kick. Just before my Wedding this past May my sister and her husband started Keto based on the results they've seen from friends and online. They've both steadily lost weight and look FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC. I started to get envious and was at my highest on my wedding day, about 265 pounds. I can't even look at the happiest day of my life without feeling ashamed of my weight knowing it was my doing. We have been keto since October 9th and I am down 27 lbs. I haven't weighed this little in a couple years. I'm so pleased. Keto is so manageable. It was so hard breaking my carb/sugar addiction (Still get cravings especially when watching TV) but I just look at my weight loss and envision the rest of it coming off and it's easier now to say no to myself. I was pre-diabetic a little over a month ago with no energy and setting a horrible example for my children. We both feel so much better in fact my Husband wants to re-join the Military! AND I want to wear a size M-L wedding dress for our vow renewal in the Philippines in 2 years! We both have a solid reachable goal now and its so much better. (No we don't have our kids stick to Keto, we cook them dinner separately from us, or we all eat the same things we just add more carbs to theirs) Start:254. Currently: 226 (:
  • jcb101604
    jcb101604 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have been overweight since the birth of my 1st child (I was previously in the Marine Corps and very physically fit/active). I gained 30 lbs while pregnant and have only added to it in the last 11 years no matter how hard I try.
    2 weeks ago I came across a You Tuber who was talking about and explaining the keto diet. I was impressed but thought for sure, this has to be fake right? So I did what I always do...I went to the library and checked out a few books, googled Ketosis, watched countless YouTube videos, and just researched everything.
    Now I am 1 week into my keto diet and down 3 pounds. I've never been able to lose that much in 1 week before....I'm so amazed that eating more fat actually does help with weight loss! Also, OMG! The energy! My house has never been cleaner, my depression is going away (quickly) and I'm feeling better than I have in 15 years!
    The biggest struggle I'm having is all the conflicting information about going keto...also, having 2 kids and a husband who don't need to be keto doesn't help either.

Start: 222.2
    Currently:218.3
    Loss: 3.7
  • Cannestra91
    Options
    Oh my gosh guys! You are all so inspiring!! We can do this!! We are a team of keto bad *kitten*! Keep on sharing your up's and down's you never know who might relate and you might help out! <3
  • shanewinson
    shanewinson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    x5r8x6ycvj28.png
    3t8qcv9bgkjs.png
  • shanewinson
    shanewinson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Day 2 done. Strip says I’m in Ketosis so it’s started now. I’m not really over weight, could do with losing the love handles though, I’m just keen to try it to see how the blood work changes. Keen to see how much it affects working out tomorrow, probably going to struggle...
  • mommy81
    Options
    How was the workout? I find I get very lightheaded when I workout the first week on keto. It gets better.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was a rather unhealthy child from birth and had several childhood corrective surgeries followed by some things around age 20 that triggered my immune system to go haywire. As a result I live in constant pain and have several health issues, plus the weight started creeping up slowly over the years. I won't bore you with all the details but constant migraines, pain, being mostly housebound, etc takes quite a toll after a while and I'm only in my early-mid 40s.

OTC meds don't touch the inflammation and pain. I barely function on prescription muscle relaxers or pain meds. Plus it's a major hassle to jump through the hoops to get them any way and without health coverage it's cost prohibitive so I don't bother. A few months ago the doctor suggested some dietary changes might help.

I started keto June 28th of this year. The inflammation in most of my joints is better by I'd say 80 - 90%, my migraines are a lot better, and I'm also down 72 pounds as of a few days ago. The only thing it hasn't really helped with is the pain levels but since it's muscle/nerve pain that's just something I'll have to live with.

• FlynLass27
    FlynLass27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    After counting calories beginning in late May 2018, my son motivated me to start keto in early July 2018. I feel better and am not hungry between meals when I am eating low carb! I have dropped off a couple weeks for traveling -- but right back on when I return, and I have quickly lost the weight I gained while I was away. Total lost: 38 lbs.
  • mommy81
    Options
    Way to go! 38 lbs is awesome!
  • jenkapheim1
    jenkapheim1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done metabolic research diet prev >10 years ago. somewhat similar High protein. Loved it. However I have gained 8 lbs in the last few months and I DID NOT have room to gain (200lbs at 5foot 3) the back rolls have motivated me to finally DO SOMETHING. so here I am .. working on the macros.. Love the color pie chart ( I know like a kid, lol oohh colorful) Increasing my water intake and hopefully decreasing my alcohol intake (it had become a bit of a problem) I am on day 2 of food diary.. but day 4 of mentally making the change to this way of eating!!
  • FlynLass27
    FlynLass27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    FlynLass27 wrote: »
    After counting calories beginning in late May 2018, my son motivated me to start keto in early July 2018. I feel better and am not hungry between meals when I am eating low carb! I have dropped off a couple weeks for traveling -- but right back on when I return, and I have quickly lost the weight I gained while I was away. Total lost: 38 lbs.

Just wanted to post an update - I forgot I'd posted this! Now I'm about 13 months into keto and I've lost 74 lbs - 16 more to go to reach my goal (which is to have a BMI in the "normal" range!). Getting ready for four trips between now and mid-Oct, but at this point I have a better mindset AND my husband started keto a week ago, so we can keep each other strong! Keep Calm and Keto On!!!
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I also have gained and lost 40+ pounds numerous times in my life. I like to think I’m really good at it but I totally suck at maintaining weight. My biggest weight loss was in 2011-12 by counting calories on MFP when I went from 308 to 185 lbs. Then over 7 years gained back to 276 lbs and was diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic. My doctor put me on meds and told me I needed to lose weight and get my blood sugar under control or start insulin shots. I followed the American Diabetes Association diet to a T and cut calories but my blood sugar was routinely WAY too high. After a bunch of experimentation I figured out that my body simply wasn’t tolerating carbs so I went Keto. I’m now 90 days into Keto and have lost about 40 lbs with diet and exercise. More importantly I’ve gotten my blood sugar stabilized with average readings around 95 mg/dl, before Keto it was regularly 250-300 mg/dl. I really want to put forth my best effort to manage diabetes with lifestyle vs insulin shots. I need to lose another 50 lbs, maintain current blood sugar and then figure out how to maintain both of them for the rest of my life. Joining Keto group to learn from and support one another. Please feel free to add me as a friend.