New to the group!

Options
Hey there, my name is Trista. I'm not new to myfitnesspal or gluten free, but new to the group!
I've been gluten free about 8 years now.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Welcome MyEvolvingJourney! Are you GF for Celiac disease, or other reasons? If you don't mind sharing.... :)
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi Trista. This group is very quiet, unfortunately, but I hope it can keep us both on track.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Welcome MyEvolvingJourney! Are you GF for Celiac disease, or other reasons? If you don't mind sharing.... :)
    I do not have Celiac disease, which I found surprising because I had a lot of the symptoms. I am gluten intolerant and have IBS, and being gluten free has helped a lot with the IBS symptoms.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @MyEvolvingJourney - The good thing about being either Celiac or NCGS is that the answer is still the same and it doesn't require drugs ;) Just staying gluten free. :) Hope your week has started off well. Hiya @annk18!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    New to the group. My wife was encouraged strongly to go GF around three years ago due to Fibromyalgia. I did it for support. We've both been GF since. Even though I didn't think it was an issue for me, despite some warning signs, turns out that on the rare occasion we've not been ultra careful, I get much sicker than she does -- even things like classic "celiac rash" on the rear, feeling like garbage for days.

I do the cooking for us 5/6 days a week. We also know most of the basics (like labeling, what to look for at restaurants, etc.). Just more looking for common support.

I also lost 70 lbs around 6 years ago and have kept it off since. I tracked for around four years (on a different site) but like to stay active in the forums/groups. Weight problems never go away, maintenance is always tricky. I'm currently around 190 with decent BF percentage and weigh myself often.

We're also mostly dairy free too with the exception of some goat/sheep and occasional A2/A2 grassfed dairy.

I've not been diagnosed (and don't plan on it). I'm even more careful than I used to be and I'm self-employed. The fact that my wife has Fibromyalgia, though mostly in remission is bad enough. Don't need to add on someone with Gluten sensitivities to pre-existing conditions that I'd end up paying much more for.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Hi and welcome @MikePfirrman (and wife ;) ). We are in a similar situation, your wife and I, FM which is definitely eased by a strict GF diet. I could barely walk two flat blocks (although 'wheat free' for many years) after I found out I had FM. Now that I have gone Celiac strict, I see a big difference. I still have bad days when it is hard to get moving and I hurt all over, but since I work fulltime, take care of 3 aged parents (2 in different stages of dementias) and have a house and hubby of my own.... and I'm doing this all with FM.... I think that speaks volumes. I'm posting a new MedScape article in the other thread (search this Gluten Free forum for the list of articles) from the 2018 Digestive Diseases Week seminar.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Hi and welcome @MikePfirrman (and wife ;) ). We are in a similar situation, your wife and I, FM which is definitely eased by a strict GF diet. I could barely walk two flat blocks (although 'wheat free' for many years) after I found out I had FM. Now that I have gone Celiac strict, I see a big difference. I still have bad days when it is hard to get moving and I hurt all over, but since I work fulltime, take care of 3 aged parents (2 in different stages of dementias) and have a house and hubby of my own.... and I'm doing this all with FM.... I think that speaks volumes. I'm posting a new MedScape article in the other thread (search this Gluten Free forum for the list of articles) from the 2018 Digestive Diseases Week seminar.

Good for you. She's 95% better now after around a year/year and a half of just living in hell. I'm in awe of her as she never took prescriptions and was willing to change any diet or behavior that our Holistic docs recommended. Most can't or won't. I believe avoiding gluten and Round-Up were the keys for her (along with avoiding dairy/vegetable oils and sugar and getting on full spectrum Methyl Bs).

• tandemtaylor
    tandemtaylor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new. Don't have lots of time for 'staying connected', but wanted to say Hi! I'm mostly GF - I've had a somewhat irritating skin condition that was cured several years ago when I followed Medifast [which is GF]. So now I realize that the problem is carbs & sugar!!!! So when I stray from being GF & sugar-free, it comes back! Unfortunately, I have a habit of 'testing the water' on occasion - silly ME! So I'm looking forward to gleaning more info from all of you. Great to have this avenue of information!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Hi and welcome @tandemtaylor! GF Low carb helps a lot, I find.
    @MikePfirrman, my PCP and Rheumie are both regular medical docs with a preference for natural solutions - I chose them for that reason. I haven't ever taken meds for FM either. Just some different supplements like Red Reishi Mushroom, Tyrosine, extra Magnesium bisglyconate, full spectrum high potency B's, extra K2 & D3. I also use GABA and melatonin for sleep.
  • JaniceVACPA
    JaniceVACPA Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Always looking for GF friends here!! Diagnosed NCGS about 2 years ago and amazed at how much better I feel after going totally GF!! Thankful to have a super supportive husband who makes up for the skeptics in my life. Feel free to friend me!