Any runners?

Options
JennRubi0
JennRubi0 Posts: 9 Member
Running my first half marathon in March and training is a struggle! I can crush a 5k but anything more than 4 miles is difficult.
Tips and ideas for increasing endurance?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Let's preface this with - I do not run.

My son is a runner, however, and he used heart rate training to improve his endurance...basically, you just run as long as you can with your heart rate at a certain level, so if you have to slow down or speed up, that's fine, pace is not relevant, just keeping your heart rate at that target level...over time, you will be able to run faster and farther at the same HR level so your speed and endurance will improve naturally.

The HR level for him seemed crazy high to me but he's a teen and has been running competitively for years...let me see if I can dig up an article that gives more details particularly how to pick a target HR.

This looks to have good starter info...

https://runnersworld.com/beginner/a20812270/should-i-do-heart-rate-training/
  • JennRubi0
    Options
    Awesome thanx!!! I am open to trying out anything. I will have to look into this.
  • mvg3
    mvg3 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Heading for my third half and I trained using the Galloway Method. You can find his book easily on Amazon. Look up: Half Marathon A Complete Guide for Women. Build your endurance through run/walk. Great training programs including tips, nutrition, and health. I run with a team and we all started with it. Good luck!
  • JennRubi0
    Options
    Thank you!!!! I will look it up.
  • MVarghese418
    MVarghese418 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am an AVID runner. I am not fast though but I am running Boston marathon (charity bib) in April, Pittsburgh in May and Indianapolis in November. I SWEAR by the galloway method. It is very civilized and I have found that it helps with the self-talk. When you feel like you want to quit, you just convince yourself to run for one more interval. And then one more....
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I’m training for my first half this May, and what helps me is logging the miles (just consistency in getting them in) and making sure to stay nice and slow for most of them. I’m using Hal Higdon’s plan, and there are more rest and cross training days there than I’d do left to my own devices.

Also, the monthly running challenges group here is super amazing and supportive! That’s the main group I spend time interacting with in MFP (but I just started wondering where the non-straight folks are and found this one—woohoo!)
  • kwcmh
    kwcmh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Runner as well and has helped me to learn patience.