some reasons

Options
tripitena
tripitena Posts: 554 Member
Just a few reasons for this thread:

I'm a compulsive eater.:blushing:
I eat when I'm bored..or lonely.. mad.. or anxious..sad.. or awake.:drinker:
I have serious joint injuries and use them to whine my way out of exercise.:sad:
I lost 36 pounds in 2011/2012 and put most of it back on already.:ohwell:
I'm bored and this and other pointless threads burns daylight. :bigsmile:
I'm hoping this spammy thread inspires others to let their inner blabbermouth run free. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MTGirl4Life
    MTGirl4Life Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this group. It is so frustrating to not have someone understand what I am talking about when I say that I am an emotional eater. It will be nice to be a blabbermouth and get my feelings out, instead of feeding them. :wink:
  • tripitena
    Options
    I didnt start this group but I am hoping we can breathe some life back into it.

I bet there are lots of people who do the same things I do. I keep eating even when Im not hungry. Ill go in the kitchen looking for something else to stuff in my face and all the while being saying to myself "Im not hungry. I really gotta lose some of this weight" & stuff like that. Sometimes Ill feel physically ill after a binge.

I know Im not the only one.
  • tripitena
    Options
    Kinda long whiney rant. Sorry.

Agony. Anticipation. Sadness. Excitement.
    All of these are coming up for me and they all make me want to eat.

In the last year 2 of our 4 adult daughters have had to move back in with us. Its been a roller coaster of being thrilled to have this bonus time with them and a nightmare of having all this time with them. One of them will be moving out around the 22nd. I am looking forward to the peace, less mess & cost, and one less body in the house. I will also have room to set the dreadmill back in a more usable space :smile: I also hate this in a deep way.:frown:

I have empty nest syndrome. Seriously crippling empty nest syndrome. After the last one moved out prior to this I got very depressed and thats when I put on 40 of the 60+ lbs I had lost 6 years before. There will still be one girl home a little while longer so I know I have to make some kind of plan to deal with it. My husband works crazy hours 4a.m. to sometimes 5p.m. (golf superintendent) and of course he is exhausted and is asleep pretty early in the evening.

Suggestions for evening things to do around home would be nice. Being disabled and a violent crime survivor I dont go out alone after dark period. I read, latch hook, color ( yes, in Barbie coloring books , Lisa Frank is pretty too :blushing: ). I'll be able to use the dread more often so thats kind of a win on 2 levels. I'm a fan of "spa night" and usually treat myself to one a week. I may have to add another. I'm eyeing some paint by number crafts in the Herrschners catalog too. I'm not real crafty except for simple things but would appreciate suggestions of anything. What do YOU do to burn time home alone?
  • Zsquared
    Zsquared Posts: 54
    Options
    I read, I play games on my kindle, I take showers & paint my nails, I have downloaded hypnotherapy session apps onto my phone (it's ok, you can laugh, I would too) and I listen to those, I talk to my friends on the phone, or even write them letters (who doesn't LOVE getting a letter?) I have friends over and we watch some certain show together or make a meal...I'm home at night and my guy works so the kids are in bed and I can't leave either.
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    Sorry about the empty nest feeling, @tripitena... I watched my mom go through that from afar and it wasn't easy. I can only imagine how lonely it is. But hopefully it's just a phase and you'll find other things to delve yourself into!

One thing I've been meaning to do is this Day Twenty project (http://daytwenty.com/). It's 20 days of trying to do simple daily tasks to keep yourself focused on the little things that we forget about every day. I made a notebook for it and everything but I can't seem to get started. Maybe today will be my day 1.

I eat out of loneliness as well. I moved here to AZ for a new job right out of college almost 4 years ago without any friends or family here. I miss them dearly. I've always had issues with overeating food, but having friends and family around kept me in check. I've gone crazy since I moved here. Only within the last year did I decide I want to change my life. But within the last 6 months I finally realized it's worse than just emotional eating, I'm a habitual compulsive overeater. I disturb myself sometimes. I'm glad I found this group though... this is a hard thing to beat because unlike alcohol or drugs, we need food to sustain our daily lives.

Glad to have you as friends!
  • tripitena
    Options
    @Z - The girls gave me a nook for mothers day and I'm already thinking this is going to be a big help. Being able to get a new book instantly at 1 a.m. is a huge plus. I see myself playing too many games - that darn insuramce pig commercial has me doing Fruit Ninja already. No doubt there will be far too many pointless ramblings by me on the cpl of web sites I frequent.

@kim - I live in a relatively new city some 60 miles from my hometown. I know what you mean about lonely eating. I'm not sure why this happens to us, there isn't any friendship in food, particularly if your not eating with someone. I'm not in touch with people I was friends with back home due to some unsavory things they & my exhusband conspired in. Only after my divorce did I learn he was waaaay too friendly with a cpl of my "friends". Anyway, I'm free & clear of that kind of untrue friend and strangely I'm not lonely for girlie friends.
    Sorry for you missing your friends. Hopefully you'll make some new ones at work. I know there are a lot of suggestions I could give. Join a gym, a book club or a.church. Take a ceramics, zumba or art class. Volunteer. Ya, great suggestions if you had more time after working all day, cleaning, shopping, running errands & paying bills, and all the things that use your time. I hope you find something though that helps you find new friends. Food isnt your friend, or mine.
    Will be checking out that Day Twenty thing in a few minutes. I survived a violent assault 10 years ago and since then have found there is an incredible sweetness in simple things. I make a point to remind myself of things like the fleeting moments of joy browsing thrift stores with the girls. Watching the dogs play. My garden means so much more to me than the zuchini and tomatoes - its the sun on my back, the smell of the dirt, the slick red worms in the soil, the mud on my shoes. I journal pretty religiously and I try to note the sweet tiny things in my day. So I'll check the Day Twenty.
    Wow. HELP! I'm blogging and cant shut up:blushing:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Blog on! It's a great way to sort through thoughts/feelings/emotions. All which can be beneficial to fighting the binge urges.

<3 Ive been reading them.
  • tripitena
    Options
    Blog on! It's a great way to sort through thoughts/feelings/emotions. All which can be beneficial to fighting the binge urges.

<3 Ive been reading them.

Just want to say that I appreciate your responses and those of all the other girlies who frequent this place. Lots of times it helps to just get it out and sometimes a comment from a friend helps even more.:flowerforyou:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Aww. Thank you! I appreciate all of you here. I'm glad the group is getting active posts again. ^_^
  • tripitena
    Options
    Rough summer. Was off the wagon for a while and didn't log and check in like I should I was more successful when I was logging everything I ate. Today I put on a pair of size 10 jeans. Kinda snug but they zipped so thats a start. I'm still wearing ky 14s just because they are comfy but they look awful. Since I've been back I have lost 3 lbs. Still a long way to go to my alleged goal.
  • tripitena
    Options
    Spent the last cpl years going through the rats maze of healthcare and diagnostitians. Finally got a DX of rt Temporal Lobe Epilepsy to add to the TBI and joint injuries. No stranger now to tonic-clonic seizures and waking up on the floor.

Depressed sometimes so for totally unknown reasons began eating cheeseburgers as comfort food. Nearly 30 yrs a veg and now cheeseburgers. wtf? Working back off meats though. 3 days now. Guess it'll be a while before the call of Carls Jr goes away lol.

So many health problems. Getting back on the dreadmill tomorrow I hope. Shooting for 10 minutes at low speed. lol. Used to log 5 miles here. Whole thing is a bit embarrassing. Be patient with me.

tripi
  • tripitena
    Options
    Several days meat free. Feeling better in a few areas. Not so sluggish after meals, internal processes moving along better :D Still feeling the urge. Cant remember back when I quit meat decades ago but it couldn't have been this hard lol. Enjoying all the veg shows streaming and reading new recipes. Working on it.
  • tripitena
    Options
    Trying to get more active. Been catching up on back log of laundry, trying to reclaim kitchen, cook meals (& better ones for myself than past) and clean up after. Seems like nothing to most ppl Im sure. Being a month free of chronic seizures....its priceless to me. :smiley:
  • tripitena
    Options
    Feeling better again today. Cant explain just how but maybe its knowing I Am eating better, I am being aware of my food, I am INTERESTED in good food again.

I was just stuffing in a cheeseburger cuz it "feels good" only to feel like crap about it an hour later. Now finding enjoyment in cutting my veggies again, the colors and smells real flavor instead of salt, grease and cheese. I think grease and cheese was actually keeping me from tasting.

I know, crazy run amok. Still. High on it all.
  • tripitena
    Options
    Still plugging away. Changed focus a bit. DX lymphoma a while back. Knocking that out but stressed. On some steroids to combat side effects and naturally keep eating my worries.

Trying to walk again. Used to do 5 miles a day and now 1/4 mile kicks my *kitten*.

Better dietarily, dropped the cheeseburger addiction. Salad bar at Sprouts is the junkies fix now and yet I still manage to make it a fat bomb. If I could get past the goat cheese, kalamatas and sunflower kernels I might be ok. Never use dressing as I make a box last 3 meals and dressing wilts everything.

Too bad there arent ppl here to bounce this off of instead of the void.