Typical day...

Options
Hi guys, I’m shiny new to vegan, can anyone give me some examples of what they have breakfast dinner and tea please? Looking for ideas of quick easy food to get started with, thankyou xx

Replies

• elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hi my diary is open, and you can add me too (I've been on holiday for a week so not much then, but in the weeks previous plenty).

In short, I eat everything that a non vegan eats every meal!

You can have a cooked breakfast with beans, sausages and tofu scramble, or yogurt and fruit, porridge or cereal bars and even croissants (sainsbury and morrisons do vegan La Boulangere croissants and pain au chocolat). Lunch can be salads, sandwiches or leftovers, most high street grab and go have plenty of vegan options now. Then dinner is typically a big hot meal: spag bol, fajitas, curry and dhal, 'veatballs' with pasta, sausage and mash, risotto, 'chickn' rice and peas, thai curry, stir fry, mac n 'cheese', tuscan bean sausage stew, soups, even a full sunday roast :smiley:
  • jqueme5
    jqueme5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Breakfast can be oatmeal cooked in almond milk then topped with berries. Lunch is a huge salad filled with a rainbow of veggies, beans, salsa dressing and some balsamic.. Tonight dinner is navy bean soup that has potatoes, carrots, celery, onions along with the beans and then herbs and spices to flavor. I like to have homemade soup on hand or a lentil loaf etc. so there's always an easy meal with little cooking. Snack will be a medium apple and 2 rice cakes tonight with some vegan cheese sauce I made. I have to eat a lot to keep calories around 1,000.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I really love "tofu scramble." I use soft tofu, and it feels like egg on the tongue. First, I sautee up a medley of vegetables (favorites for the scramble include onions, peppers, garlic, spinach, beans, olives) in olive oil and then toss in the tofu, top with some hot sauce. It's a quick and delicious meal with lots of protein.

Jenn
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I usually either do a tofu scramble or Van's Powertrains Waffles with field roast "sausage" or seitan "bacon" If I have time I'll do potatoes.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am new to the vegan diet. I love tofu scrambles and add black salt for the eggy flavor. I also make a breakfast bowl using healthy cereal, soymilk, chia seeds and fruit.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Cindy781 wrote: »
    I am new to the vegan diet. I love tofu scrambles and add black salt for the eggy flavor. I also make a breakfast bowl using healthy cereal, soymilk, chia seeds and fruit.

@cindy781 Black salt? I've never heard of this! It tastes like egg?

Jenn
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I like having garbanzo bean salads in the fridge and ready as a quick side or great pairing with 1/2 avocado for lunch. Base recipe: 2 cans of garbanzo beans rinsed + juice & pulp of a lemon or lime or orange + minced carrots or golden beets + minced celery or parsley(lots) + red onion or pickled red onion + chopped green (chard or kale or arugula) + sesame seed or hemp seed + sea salt

You can also have soem red quinoa or red rice on the side for a more filling meal.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    ladyzherra wrote: »
    Cindy781 wrote: »

@cindy781 Black salt? I've never heard of this! It tastes like egg?

Jenn

Yes, it does taste like egg. I found it on Amazon. It smells bad when you are using it but my vent above my range takes care of that. Scrambled tofu is yummy,
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Here's a pretty typical day for me:

B - smoothie made with frozen spinach, blueberries, ground flax seed & cold brew coffee
    L - steamed collard greens with nutritional yeast (adds umami) and spices, garbanzo beans, pickled raw red onions, apple slices
    S - apple slices and walnuts
    D - huge green salad (massaged kale, romaine, cherry tomatoes, pickled raw red onions, red bell pepper), homemade dressing (cilantro, tomatillo, cashew milk, spices), cabbage and kale casserole, steamed mushrooms with spices, baked apple with cinnamon and a few blueberries for dessert
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi, thoroughly recommend any vegan curious, veggies trying to transition or new vegans to join a challenge 22+ Facebook group (google www.challenge22.com or search on facebook). You get put in a group with others doing the challenge and mentors for support; groups are also supported by dietitians and there are loads of resources including recipes and meal plans (incl. ones for weight loss). It’s a positive, friendly, safe, non judgemental group :) 💚🌱✊
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    Need some help with my protein macros. I need to hit 60-90g daily. I am already adding hemp kernels to vegetable and legume dishes. I use chia and flaxseeds to make 'pancakes.' I dislike sietan, but I do like tempeh. Yet I usually do not break 45g.

My acupuncturist/TCM professional has given me a diet that includes 12oz flesh daily. I used a blank day in MFP to input a sample day to find the underlying macros. They are 35% non-starchy carbs; 40% fat, 25% protein. I am 60y and moderately active so the lower protein makes sense. Yet, I am having difficulty meeting the 60-90g of daily protein.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @lpina2mi 1 container of High Protein Tofu would get you to 75 grams by itself. It's super firm so easy to work with. Around $3.50 at Whole Foods. Add in a serving of black beans and you are easily there.
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    I found it. Sprouted Soybean Tofu. thank you. I am going to press it in hemp kernals for a quick pan fry.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I try to combine legumes with whole grains to make a complete protein at most meals. I'll make a big batch of each for the week and add a half cup of each to a salad, curry, taco, etc. I also try to combine starches with fats (carrot + peanut butter, green pepper + hummus) for snacks for satiety and maximum vitamin absorption.
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    I really enjoy legumes prepped many ways (indian, tex-mex, italian) over mounds of chopped steamed kale. Legumes have the heft I need to feel full when I am hungry...but not enough protein even when I top the mounds with hemp kernals.