I think these two Groups need a reboot don't they?

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
I think this and the 'Cycling Challenges' group need a bit of a reboot don't they; they seem to have gone a bit cold...

Can we start using them to engage potential new cyclists again do you think or are they beyond fixing now?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see more activity!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I'd LOVE to see more activity in here - I only wish I still had enough time to generate the amount of stuff I used to in here...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's a shame as there are quite a few cyclists like me who chime in on the general forums (and bore everyone to tears probably!).

The monthly challenge thread I participate in also goes very quiet in the northern hemisphere winter.
  • jackis54
    jackis54 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new. No real interest in a century but I usually try to bike my age in miles once a year. Heading to New Zealand next week and will do two bike trips while there with Pure Trails NZ. I am also using rowing to cross train at the moment.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I actually just searched and found this group. I consider myself an enthusiastic cyclist that has experienced (Ahem) periodic lapses of fatness and inactivity. I'm currently back to maintenance weight after a year of weight loss and back in the saddle.
  • mogginsthemog
    mogginsthemog Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just popping in after a 6mnth break. Am toying with the idea of getting an e-bike for the Spring. Age, over-weight and general unfitness is prompting this. My cycling activity fell away once the hip arthritis kicked in about 2010. If an e-bike gets me out and about for the same time that I spend indoors, it'll prove invaluable. I've read many reports and met a few people who readily sing the praises of these bikes so I'm willing to give it a go; and post my adventures on here should it come to that..I shall keep an eye on this page and hope it picks up..🚴🏻‍♂️👍
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I shall keep an eye on this page and hope it picks up..🚴🏻‍♂️👍

Best way to get the group to pick up is to post something yourself - ask about the e-bikes... get advice on things... it'll only pick up if people participate rather than lurk - it's the same in any community

Good luck with the e-bike thing - I must be honest, earlier in my rehab after the heart problem I was tempted, but back then there was nothing that was proper bike shaped - they were all either dutch bikes or MTB's but with the new crop of road oriented bikes coming on stream, if I had the money, i'd be half tempted, just for a extra 100w or so for the hills - so I'm still working hard, but climbing at 10mph rather than wobbling up at just above walking pace.

• mogginsthemog
    mogginsthemog Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely try and contribute to the page.✍️ 🙂 Another interest of mine is photography and I have a couple of projects to fulfill this year. The e-bike should help me with carrying the gear and traveling the distance. In fact my pic < was taken on the popular Exeter to Exmouth Walking/Cycling trail. I'd struggle to do that today.. I quite like the Giant range, especially where the battery pack is well blended with the down tube and the power unit at the BB. I'll get some demos/trials in soon and then I'll have a better idea..
  • sijomial
    Options
    I still trying to get my wife to get an e-bike so we can go out together but hitting the objection of "but it would mess up my hair".
    (Not a problem I have as that's the one part of me that's well streamlined....)

Think they are also a great solution for many families to reduce car usage for some local journeys.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    ... "but it would mess up my hair".

beats me where they get those ideas...

h5lswdkwxe1c.jpg

• sijomial
    Options
    :smiley:
    Love it - I'm going to have to watch the video of Firestarter by The Prodigy now.

Personally I just have to try to avoid getting tan lines through the vents in my helmet......
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    For cycling, I tend to post more on a dedicated cycling forum.

However, the Monthly Cycling Challenge is still going each month.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10724103/february-2019-biking-cycling-bicycling-bike-bicycle-unicycle-tricycle-challenge#latest
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I try to keep up with posting on the monthly cycling post but I think there are only about 3 of us who do now with any regularity. My biking at the moment is only on my trainer in the basement. Nothing too exciting to talk about. I have a fat bike but it's either been way too cold or icy to get out on it. I've got a bike trip planned to Moab mid April that I'm trying to stay in shape for though.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 What dedicated cycling forum do you visit? PM me if necessary.
  • jackis54
    jackis54 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of trips this year but now training toward cross country tour(southern tier - 58 days/8 rest days - San Diego to St Augustine) beginning March 2020. I also took the organizers at their word and will be doing the shortest distance of the Steamboat Gravel Race in August. They wanted more women and diversity...

Right now, much spin time but next week looks like it will be a great time to head outside. I also volunteer with an organization that work with jr & sr high students and will be biking with them next week as well.
  • Just_Ceci
    edited March 2019
    Options
    jackis54 wrote: »
    I have a couple of trips this year but now training toward cross country tour(southern tier - 58 days/8 rest days - San Diego to St Augustine) beginning March 2020. I also took the organizers at their word and will be doing the shortest distance of the Steamboat Gravel Race in August. They wanted more women and diversity...

Right now, much spin time but next week looks like it will be a great time to head outside. I also volunteer with an organization that work with jr & sr high students and will be biking with them next week as well.

That sounds amazing! I spent 2 months on a motorcycle trip once, but can't imagine doing that on a bicycle!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on here in a while either. I remember finding the group awhile back but it always seemed kind of dormant. I rode road and mountain. Just signed up for Ragbrai yesterday! Super nervous as it will be my first multi day event but I think I've been lucky enough to link up with a good group through the forum.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    I haven't been on here in a while either. I remember finding the group awhile back but it always seemed kind of dormant. I rode road and mountain. Just signed up for Ragbrai yesterday! Super nervous as it will be my first multi day event but I think I've been lucky enough to link up with a good group through the forum.

One of my riding buddies does RAGBRAI every year. She's been trying to get me to join in. Maybe next year. Have fun!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    @Just_Ceci that's good to hear! I think we have an open spot on my team if you change your mind!
  • cyndi2012
    cyndi2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just popping in after a 6mnth break. Am toying with the idea of getting an e-bike for the Spring. Age, over-weight and general unfitness is prompting this. My cycling activity fell away once the hip arthritis kicked in about 2010. If an e-bike gets me out and about for the same time that I spend indoors, it'll prove invaluable. I've read many reports and met a few people who readily sing the praises of these bikes so I'm willing to give it a go; and post my adventures on here should it come to that..I shall keep an eye on this page and hope it picks up..🚴🏻‍♂️👍

Did you get that ebike? I've heard lots of great things about them as well, and someone in one of the cycling groups i'm part of has an ebike and loves it!