Back to back races?

Options
docsallen
docsallen Posts: 159 Member
I am training for a marathon in April. It will be my 3rd marathon and I am hoping to hit a particular goal time. (Assuming the weather, etc. cooperates) It is doable - but it certainly won't be easy for me. I reviewed the spring races in the area and one that I like to do is 1 week before the marathon It is a 10 mile race. Although I would be happy to purposely not go for a PR in this race, I wouldn't be happy turning it into an easy run. How much time before a marathon would you not race for 10 miles or half marathon?

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Good question. I'm running a road marathon on 4/6, a trail marathon on 4/13, and a 50K on 4/20. And I just finished up a 10 day break from running (medically advised because of an unexpected problem and surgery to fix it). But I'm not expecting to PR any of those. I don't see why 10 miles in the week before a marathon would be an issue even at a moderate pace.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I would not feel bad about running a half two weeks before a marathon; but if the marathon is an A race, the half would need to be a training race, run at marathon pace. One week out, I don't think it would be smart to even put myself into a race environment for a half marathon. I've done a 10K a week before, and I've done 5K XC a week before, with no problem; but recovery from the short stuff is quick.

In my mind, 10 miles is kind of an in-between gray area, not as long as a half but long enough to deserve some respect. For a favorite 10 mile a week before trying to hit a time goal in the marathon, I think I'd use the 10 mile race to practice holding the target marathon pace in a race environment. Then cut your running way down in the week between the 10 mile race and the marathon, so you are well rested and not running drives you nuts. Hopefully on marathon day, you'll be well rested, totally recovered from the 10 mile, and able to use the memory of running a controlled 10 mile to help set the pace you need in the marathon.
  • docsallen
    Options
    Thanks midwesterner85 and MobyCarp!

midwesterner85 - good luck! Your race schedule is beyond my reach right now. I always recover quickly from my runs, so I think you are right - a moderate pace is safe. I was concerned about the mental aspect - holding myself back for a distance that I can comfortably run.

MobyCarp - I like the idea of running it at my marathon race pace. My MRP is not a pace I usually run more than a few miles and it would be good practice to do it in a race environment. I can also see how I feel after 10 miles and see if I need to tweak my expectations or strategy.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    You didn't mention which date in April you were running, but was curious how it went or how you think it will go?
  • docsallen
    Options
    2 weeks before the marathon I ran an aggressive 5 miles - speedy and hills. My legs were sore the next day so I skipped the week before race. I decided to do an 8 mile easy run with pickups at the end. (the plan run)

I ran the marathon yesterday and it didnt go well. I stayed with the pacer for the first 16-17 miles and then got a leg cramp. (Still sore today and my toes are still numb) I ran-walked the rest of the way. I missed a PR and a goal time. But I finished and I am happy about that.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    well done for finishing!

Did you reach a conclusion as to why it didn't go well?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    sjb74uk wrote: »
    well done for finishing!

Did you reach a conclusion as to why it didn't go well?

I have the same question - were the leg cramps related to sudden temperature increases? (We are having that here in the midwest right now and I'm managing cramps during races.)

Or was it because of de-training during the 2 weeks pre-race (if I ran only three times for 5, 10, and 8 miles during the 2 weeks prior to a race, I would be de-trained on race day).
  • docsallen
    Options
    I did not. I have a bunch of ideas, but could have been a combination of all of them. or none of them. I checked my watch this morning and my mile paces were at/slightly faster for the first 17+ miles. The 18th mile was a bit slower overall and my heart rate went from low 160s to 186. This morning was the first day that I did not feel where the cramp/pain was in my right leg. 2 of my toes are still numb though. At some point I will start to (over) analyze, but I have been trying to focus on the positive instead of what went wrong.

I do think the temps had something to do with it. I usually start my runs 4-4:30am so any sunlight feels a bit warmer to me. Plus the temps have been cooler. I had stomach issues on 2 of my long runs so I have been practicing with water. I took in water at every stop + carried a water bottle and drank a little at least every 2 miles. I also took gu every 4-5 miles. I felt overheated, but I didn't have any stomach issues.

Just to clarify - I did not de-train - I followed the taper schedule. I ran my longest run 3 weeks before the marathon. The following week I cut my mileage to 36 miles (13 mile long run), and then the next week I cut my mileage to 26 miles (8 mile long run), and then the week leading up to the marathon. With the exception of the week leading up to the marathon, I followed my usual running schedule - running 5 days/week - with a speed workout, moderate run, easy runs. I did a speedy 5 mile run (38 min) 2 weeks before the marathon, the day after the 13 miler, which is very fast for me - and I was sore the next day. I almost never get sore, so I decided to take it easy on my legs and not go to a race the weekend before. (Instead I ran an easy 8 miles with pickups during the last mile)

More important than the goal time, was wanting to finish feeling strong. If I decide to run another marathon, I think I will pick a late fall or winter one. And it must be local. (Hotel neighbors were VERY LOUD and woke me up at 2am, 3am, and 4am) I am also thinking that maybe I am not meant to "race" the marathon.