Running with arthritis

Options
johnmcc215
johnmcc215 Posts: 40 Member
Tore my meniscus last year, slight tear, non surgical but it went into arthritis. Happened 2 weeks before the NYC Marathon, haven't run since then. Anyone dealing with that? Just ordered some CBD Oil, heard some amazing things, and know people who use it.

Started running at 48, i'm 56 now, have done 16 HM's, 4 marathons and 2 50k's.

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My husband is dealing with the exact same thing right now. Torn meniscus leading to arthritis, Baker's cycst and he also has a slight stress fracture as well. His doctor told him that he should look for alternate means of exercise than running because the arthritis will only get worse, but he is stubborn. The doctor said if he insists on running, just know that he will likely pay a price for it and that he should probably stick to 5Ks. He is currently wearing a brace (since January) and has not run yet. He is 52. Sorry that I have no advice. The advice that I give my husband is to get on his bike. I think he will be trying to do more trail running when he feels he is ready. Did your doctor give you any guidance concerning running?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my right foot. Don't know exactly when it started, probably triggered by undiagnosed and unevenly healed stress fractures of the metatarsals. I've completed 5 marathons, and I know I've had this for at least the last 3 marathons.

It will only get worse, so life is a process of managing it rather than healing it.

Started running at 55, I'm now 63 and living with a diagnosed stress fracture in the right foot canceling my participation in Boston this year. I expect to be over it in time to run NYC this November, and Boston next year. Don't know whether an arthritic knee would be about the same or harder to deal with, I don't have that.

Getting old is not for sissies.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had bone on bone arthritis in her knees. She did hyaluron shots in her knees for several years, then had a knee replacement. She continued to do marathons until her TKR. After the surgery a year ago, she continues to do half marathons and is thinking about a marathon next year.

One thing she did both before the surgery and afterwards, is a lot of pool running. Some of her long runs were half in the pool, half outside.

Ask about the shots, they can help by providing a replacement for the torn/missing meniscus. DH had the shots before heading out on a six month backpacking trip. Without it, we would never have finished.
  • johnmcc215
    johnmcc215 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried CBD Oil, I have tried a few and must say it does help it is making a difference. I'm going to a pharmacy tomorrow to speak with a pharmacist. They have their own CBD Oil there and can offer suggestions.