Flexibility issues?

Just out of curiosity, anyone else have any flexibility issues when they first started out? My shins and hips are really inflexible, and it's really limiting at the moment.

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    I think almost everyone does to start with, bar veteran gymnasts cross-training or people with hypermobile joints.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Personally no, however I'm one of those naturally bendy people.

However there are lots of people at my club who are not very flexible, even having been training for years. Personally I recon it would be beneficial if they worked on flexibility just a little as it really does help, especially when we do groundwork.

You can build flexibility: stretching out after sessions is a good way of fitting it in if there isn't any built into to session by default. Also, stretching after a (warm) bath/shower is an excellent way of building flexibility as your muscles will be warm and you'll get lots of chances to stretch over the week (a top tip given to me by my coach, that I remember just after I have cooled down after my shower and it's too late to stretch effectively)
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Yeah, a lot of people end up categorising themselves as inflexible, and then they give up on stretching in their free time. I think there are a lot of students who write themselves off too early, but that's people for you. It's what they do!
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    i find that stretching daily while doing other mundane things (like folding laundries or watching movies) makes a big difference. it somehow helps keep your mind off how uncomfortable it is.
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Thank you all for the tips, the flexibility does seem to be coming along a bit the longer I go, and hopefully with warmer weather I can do more work on my own.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    My sons and I have been training for 2.5 years. When we started, my oldest could barely kick 2 feet off the ground. Today, he's almost in a full split and can kick me in the head. (I discourage them actually kicking me in the head, but it's been their goal and they were both super excited when they realized they can kick that high.)