End of the Year Class and Practice Check-In

HeliumIsNoble
HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
A place to reflect and discuss your progress over the last year.

Replies

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    I started 2018 as a purple belt and with my foot in a boot. Throughout the year, I healed my foot and progressed to blue, green, brown and finally red.

I fully expect red to take me a good chunk of 2019 and it will probably be 2020 before I test for my black belt...but I'm loving karate and am happy with my progress so far.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Looking Forward to getting back in the groove and getting better
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited January 2019
    I've made it through my first year as a black belt. When I think about it like that, it seems ludicrous that not only did I finally make it all the way to black belt without quitting in the run up to the test, I'm not even the most junior 1st dan in the club now!

It's been quite a year. I haven't made as much progress as I could have done, but I've kept on training whatever was going on in my personal life, and that's something to be very happy with. I've got tornado kicks at least half-way down, which was a personal resolution, and I finished 2018 knowing 12 out of 24 ITF forms. So, so very cool to be able to say that after so long on the beginning forms for colour belts. Only 12 more black belt forms to go!

On the theme of halves, I'm also half-way through a course to become an assistant instructor. I plan to push up the percentages on both of those during 2019.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    my butterfly kicks are finally close to satisfactory! i also was able to do wushu 5th duan compulsory form without breaks. this for me is huge. (this form is something that 12 year olds learn lol) - i'm 46 and this form is frigging exhausting to me. i still don't have the aerial cartwheel, but i'm really really close! hopefully this year is the year. i'm giving myself a generous 3-4 more years of wushu before i move on to learning bagua (an internal soft style) so i'm hoping to get in as much as i can.

here is a clip of the 5th duan form
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMJxXub16Mk

currently working on this straight sword form:
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnxoq

• HeliumIsNoble
    Wow! That is such a complex form. :open_mouth:
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Got my first stripe on my white belt in jiu-jitsu. Not much of an accomplishment, I mean essentially it just means I'm showing up, but hey, I've been showing up. Finished moving, and got my garage gym started.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Got my first stripe on my white belt in jiu-jitsu. Not much of an accomplishment, I mean essentially it just means I'm showing up, but hey, I've been showing up. Finished moving, and got my garage gym started.

Congrats! Showing up is better than not! Here's hoping for many more.

Also, sorry about the long delay. I don't check in much these days