What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,394 Member
    Options
    I wasn't awake enough (or wearing my glasses) ... so I missed the humorous ending.

At least, that's my excuse for taking it / responding to it "sooo seriously" o:) I AM wearing my glasses now ... and have had most of a cup of coffee .... so ready to be more light-hearted.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    If only the DAY OUTSIDE my window would do the same!! Gloomy grey second day in a row. At least it isn't still precipitating ..... and Mother Nature DOES get credit for at least hitting the correct "precipitation type" button yesterday .... regular rain! (not sleet, or snow or ice pellets or freezing rain or other winter-y whitish stuff)
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    I wasn't awake enough (or wearing my glasses) ... so I missed the humorous ending.

At least, that's my excuse for taking it / responding to it "sooo seriously" o:) I AM wearing my glasses now ... and have had most of a cup of coffee .... so ready to be more light-hearted.

It's all good, no worries :smile: I need the "Jen is being silly font" :D
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,180 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Why do some folks put their exercise as 1 calorie? Is it because they don't want to mess up their caloric totals or something? I've seen several people have a big workout and the calorie count burned is only 1.

I do it because I have my Fitbit synced with MFP and I don’t want to be tempted to eat back my exercise calories twice. A lot of people do it because they think the calories allowed are rather generous.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    KCJen wrote: »

It's all good, no worries :smile: I need the "Jen is being silly font" :D

you can change FONTS?!?!? (beyond bold and italic ? Tell me HOW ......

PU LEEEAAASSEEE!!!!!
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @TerriRichardson112. That makes sense, for sure. I end up deleting the Fitbit add when it pops up. I may try that way instead.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I just got a Fitbit Zip and my son helped me get it synced to my new tablet this afternoon (which can ACTUALLY talk to our home network, unlike my old tablet) ... so now I get to see how many NON-exergame steps I can get in a day. I absolutely will NOT be syncing it with MFP at this time .... it's only been active since ~4:00 p.m. today .... but it will be fun to see what the numbers look like over the course of an average week or two. I am just not sure how it decides on "active minutes" unless it is a question of pace .... because this model clips on your waistband (or neckline if jogging) and isn't built into a wristband to check HR as your exertion level.

I wonder what it will make of my bike time, and my Core Cardio (dance) time?
  • BMcC9
    Options
    On the bright side .... my Core Cardio 45 minute trial DID register as "43 active minutes" and multiple 1000's of steps .... (three trials on the bike with the zip clipped first to waist, then to bra, THEN to sock at ankle all came out zeros or negligible for each 5 minute test. The 5 minute jogging-game steps test was in the 800's.)
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 how clever, I wonder how it tracked it? I read your first post and was going to say that my fitbit uses heart rate... but then saw that yours didn't so I'm flummoxed! Clever though! Sometimes mine tells me I've been for a bike ride when I've been pushing a buggy. :p
  • BMcC9
    Options
    @am_change on a VERY OVER-simplified level ... this non-HR version of a fitbit would most likely determine "active minutes" vs "non-active" (all steps go into the same master total) would be either by intensity of impact (foot strikes ground harder when walking briskly or jogging, vs strolling) or (very high) frequency of close-together lighter steps (sprinting more-or-less in place but feet don't go far from the ground) or a combo of the two.

This would explain why a stationary bike ride doesn't register as "steps" at all ... no impact when pedaling.

If you wear yours on your wrist ... but arms weren't moving to "register as steps" .... but your HR was going up .... that might be why it "thought you must be bike riding"
  • CathieMW
    CathieMW Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9
    When I ride my exercise bike I put my Fitbit on my shoe. I just loop the wrist band through the laces. I reduced my daily goal from 10,000 steps to 8,500 to adjust for not getting the same number I would if I was walking.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    This is the style I have ....

cdhhtys8nq4k.jpg

it doesn't come with a wrist band. I tried clipping it to my sock, and ~300 revolutions in 5 minutes ( no "active minutes" ) I may have to try a longer test .... or see if having it on a band around my knee registers better.

At least biking isn't my ONLY "active minutes" activity.
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Oh no @trimi1104 how frustrating for you! At least it's been picked up now though. I definitely recommend joining us, even if it's less extreme than your usual training I'm sure it will help. Sending love xx
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    @trimi1104, that sounds so frustrating, but I'm glad you finally got a diagnosis and there are things that are going to be done. I hope the recovery & treatment (however belated) goes as smoothly as possible!
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    @trimi1104 I don't know what to say, I wish you a speedy recovery, and I hope for the best for you. Hugs!
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,293 Member
    Options
    Here are my four circles ....
    n2p6dwude4k1.png
    Thank you very much for sharing this.
    I like to know more about this circle stuff.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @trimi1104, sure hate to hear this. Hoping things heal up quickly for you. Please do check in with us. <3
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Here are my four circles ....
    n2p6dwude4k1.png
    Thank you very much for sharing this.
    I like to know more about this circle stuff.

I will put the full instructions (and source) in a PM to you. Basically, it is "reverse planning"; breaking down a Yearly Goal/Target into smaller and smaller sub-bits. When you get to the Daily ... this becomes your Just For Today focus of no more than 3 SPECIFIC actions. That way, you make more of a connection between your daily choices / actions and their cumulative impact towards (or away from) your more distant Master Goal. (As in UAC - some Passes per month allowed, 'cause Life Happens ... but this is what you shoot for day by day - so keep it short and sweet.)

It also works for ANY kind of cumulative-action-required goal, not necessarily reserved for weight loss or body fat % numbers. And the Big Goal timeline might be LESS than a year away, depending on what it is and what's involved ... like my overflowing mending pile ....
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Just checked back up the thread .... full instructions (and some backing and forthing with other members about it) can be found starting ~ the middle of page 1 above.