Vivosport steps too high, can you turn the sensitivity down?

Options
kazminchu
kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
Hi guys, as above really, I have a Vivosport which I've been using about a week. I've noticed that it's still counting "steps" for things like riding on a bumpy bus and applying body lotion. This morning I had apparently done 96 steps without ever leaving my bed... :/

I'm left-handed but wear it on my right wrist, it is set to right wrist. I looked on the app but I can't see if there's a way to turn the sensitivity down, does anyone know if there is? Or will it stop counting incidental movements as steps after it gets more used to my movements? I feel like my calorie count is likely to be off by a bit if this carries on!

Thanks. :)

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Regarding the calories - it depends on the distance seen by those bogus steps.

Because distance is calculated from impact of steps (no there is no improvement on that), and distance, time, mass are used for calories.

So you might do a zoom on daily stats for distance and see what it gave to those chunks of time.

Usually it's little and meaningless in an otherwise busy day.

Also considering it's giving BMR sleeping level burn to all non-moving time, but you burn more when awake, especially when standing with no steps - it's underestimating potentially a decent amount of the time by a small amount.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, that's good to know I guess! I'm quite sedentary so I didn't want falsely inflated calories if I hadn't earned them. I don't actually have it connected to MFP because I don't like the calorie adjustments it gives me, but I like to check my average daily calories on there to judge my maintenance calories. Guess I'll just have to see what happens!
  • DanielleFayeS
    DanielleFayeS Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I personally don't stress "bonus steps" because both of mine have/had a bad habit of not recognizing what my husband and I have started jokingly calling "domestic steps" when I'm rushing around cooking or sometimes the complete trip from my living room to my laundry room. I figure it all evens out in the wash - so to speak. But I don't usually get a lot from buses or lotion.
  • Toaster05
    Toaster05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I only use step tracking for motivational purposes. Unless you are using footpod or an hip based device then whatever results you get are going to have quite a variance between reality and what the device displays.

If your aim is to walk 10k step and it showing 9930 or 1139 then in both cases you've done what you set out to do and should be happy with your efforts.

Without some major effort on your part you'll never get a spot on count but knowing you are 99% of the way there should fill you with confidence.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn’t stress over a few extra steps a day. In the grand scheme of things those amount to a tiny percentage ☺️