Run the day before a half?

Options
RunnerGirl238
RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
Do you do a shake out run the day before your half? I took two recovery days this week, and I feel like I need to run tomorrow. Neeeeeeed.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I do. I generally run a couple miles at a very easy pace the day before a marathon or half marathon.

Now having said that, I won't be running tomorrow before my 10 miler on Sunday since I'll be driving to Philly. But I do plan to spend some time walking around so that sorta kinda counts.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Depends on your general fitness level, how hard you trained, and how hard you plan on running the half. Sometimes, the best thing is a rest day. Sometimes, the best thing is an easy preview of the last 2 miles of the race course. Sometimes, the best thing is 2 miles at goal race pace. You just need to figure out what is best for you, this time, in this situation.

The last half I ran, I ran an 8K race the day before. But the 8K was the hard race, and the half was a training exercise intended to be run at marathon pace.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    So, I'm thinking tomorrow might turn into a training experience because this run looks like itll be a wash out. My rhr is normal; I dont feel fatigued. My fitness level is good. I think a 4 mile shake out would do my brain good...
  • wtgrey
    wtgrey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a walk with the dog the day before a half, but like MobyCarp said, it is all about what works best for you.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My running coach friend recommends running something relatively short at an easy pace, but include some strides at the end of the run. After taper and easy running the week leading into the race, you need to remind your legs that they're fast and capable.

For half's, the day before I've done 3-3.5 miles with 5x 20-second sprint/20-second slow jog toward the end, trying to finish the strides with about 1/2 mile to cool down.