Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease

Options
njitaliana
njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
My husband found out he has non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. His liver enzyme numbers were off twice, but the family doctor told him not to worry about it. Then, he had two ultrasounds done by a GI doc. The first showed mild fatty liver, and the GI doc said nothing. He had to ask the doctor, and the doctor said it was nothing. The second, a year later, showed fatty liver disease and lesions. So, he had to ask the doctor again. This time, the doctor said to just lose weight, exercise and avoid foods that turn to sugar.

So, I joined a liver group online, bought a book by a doctor associated with the Liver Foundation, and made him an appt with a hepatologist (liver doctor). Then, I decided to get a copy of my last ultrasound, since the GI doc never even mentioned it. I have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, also!

I found out from my research that anyone with high cholesterol who is pre-diabetic or diabetic will generally have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Yet, the doctors say nothing and do nothing.

So, I'm a bit ticked off about it. Neither the family doc nor the GI doc said a thing. So, we will see the liver doc at the end of the month and ask him to refer us to a knowledgeable dietitian.

This can turn into non-alcoholic cirrhosis if we don't take care of it by losing weight and eating the right foods. One of my friends died of non-alcoholic cirrhosis a year ago and I wondered how on earth she got it. Now I know.

Looking for friends here dealing with the same thing.

Replies

• sumsalchris
    sumsalchris Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. I too am having issues with liver enzymes and related. I had to have a CT scan not too long ago for some unrelated issues, they picked up what they termed to be a "subtle lesion" on my liver. My ALT was a bit elevated as well. I have completed the ultrasound as they required, but still have not had the results back. I have looked through my charts and found that my ALT has been elevated for sometime over the last few years, not drastically, but elevated nonetheless. i also found that my cholesterol has been elevated as well and nothing was brought to my attention. I have decided to take matters in to my own hands and completely revamp my diet and exercise routine, more so than what I have already done, in addition to adding supplements that have research backed results in lowering LDL and liver enzymes. I refuse to be on meds for the rest of my life. Best of luck to you and your husband.
  • proth57
    proth57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Me as well and I know how I got it, even though it is non-alcoholic I have always enjoyed beer and wine more that I should have and love good food (not processed food). I need to lose at least 36kg - understand that quick loss it NOT good as it puts more strain on the liver. So will report back any tips from my dietician today.
  • proth57
    proth57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So since Thursday last week I have started to exercise every day (or second day). Have been watching the diet (lean chicken and fish with lots of vegetables), and no booze. Feeling really good, not hungry and have dropped 2kg (expect that to be mostly fluid). Having home made vegetable drinks each day (carrots, cabbage, garlic, ginger, celery - and any other green or red vegetable I can find). Actually quite like the taste of the vegetable drinks and already think. So sounds good but only early days -- first goal is to loose 37kg. Then see where I go if I get there. Have to be careful not to loose to much weight quickly as the liver will start to hold more fat as it thinks we are hitting a famine - tricky stuff. Think I need a kick up the pants for getting to this point but have to say the fast food and processed food industry are pretty crook - they have taken us all for a ride by pumping up sugar and fat to sell products.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I started week 8 today and have 18 lbs off so far. I am almost done the book Skinny Liver and am doing what it says in there as far as eating. Went to physical therapy today to work out (they have a program where you can use their equipment for a flat fee, like a gym). I'll go back tomorrow. I'm enjoying eating like this. Lots of good, healthy foods.
  • mizzzcotton
    mizzzcotton Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have some of the same as above, fatty liver on ultrasound with elevated blood test results, and going for a CT scan shortly. I've been juicing the majority of my meals this last week and reducing my calorie count. My father died of liver cancer related to NASH at 63.
  • JudyKenova1
    JudyKenova1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also have NASH. My doctor has only ever done ultrasound and bloodwork. Saw a GI doctor who said just eat a balanced diet and change the future ofy health. That was 4 years ago and sadly I've contined the binge cycle. Now I have constant pain in my side, blood vessels burst easy on my hands and I'm only 39. I'm sure its probably worse than I know...haven't had an ultrasound in a few years. Friend me so we can support one another. I vae 100 pounds to lose.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    fatty liver remedies that work.
    first: you get rid of fatty liver with tamarind. you can buy it fresh in Asian and Latino stores. It is a sweet-sour fruit that comes in pods. If you cannot get fresh then you can get it in jars as a fruit paste. Eat two or more every breakfast.
    second: take milk thistle. gaia brand is probably the best as it is a liquid in a capsule.
    third: stop eating junk food and fast food.
    I get my remedies from ThatHealsThat.com
  • Junebug22c1
    Junebug22c1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been sick with this quite some time. No one told me anything. Does anyone have a nutrient track chart on how to eat with fatty liver? All my Dr. said was watch fats, cut portion size and lose weight and lose slowly... He said he felt it could be turned around. I am not sure if I watch all fats or sat fats,
  • 3nails1love
    3nails1love Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am also new to the fatty liver family. I went to the hospital for one problem and an ultrasound picked up on my larger and fatty liver. They didn't say anything about lesions. I was told lose weight, and to eat right. So that's why I'm here. I've been googling too much but I found a lot of helpful ideas about what food to increase (that help the liver) and what to avoid (because it's more work for the liver). I see my Doctor on Thursday and hope that we can reverse all the damage I've done over the years.
  • Junebug22c1
    Junebug22c1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am taking it one day at a time. Doing what I can n giving the rest to GOD!
  • Rmonk916
    Rmonk916 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Very similar story to what I have read here. I went in for a scan on an unrelated issue and found out I have Fatty Liver Disease, PKD with multiple cysts in both kidneys and liver.. Plus a leaky heart valve and an aneurysm. And you know what, I'm a healthy guy lol. I've never been overweight, fit and trim, work out and have since 17, now 50. problem is I ate fast food due to being on the road all day for my job. Wow, lunch at McDonalds is a recipe for Fatty Liver Disease. Triglycerides, cholesterol, salt, loads of sugar and saturated fat. Everything a body needs, right? Elevates the blood pressure from all that inflammation and pushes all that junk right into your liver.

Well, I can't do much about my other issues but I do believe the fatty liver disease is what has caused me to feel lousy since I was 40. I figure that must be about when it started and I first lost energy, cloudy minded and started getting fatigued easy. Got to the point that almost everyday was a low energy, unmotivated hell but being self employed I didn't have a choice but to make myself go. I never had to try before, I always loved what I do and loved being busy and working long hours no problem. Once this fatty liver kicked in I lost all the drive, motivation and felt weak and tired all the time.

So now that I am diagnosed and finally know what the problem is I have started a keto diet and following a lot of advice from Delaure on youtube on how to eat and find the replacement products to keep a normal daily routine that still feels normal. Supposedly my making the body burn fat instead of carbs for fuel your body sources out the fat from anywhere in your body, even the liver. Some report no Fatty Liver disease at all by 8 months.