What made you go vegan?

Options
ladyzherra
ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
edited April 2019 in Social Groups
We each come to veganism through a unique path, and I am curious to learn about yours! What brought you to veganism?

Jenn

Replies

• lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My vegan and Animal Rights Advocate Daughter. I was a plant-dominant omnivore who ate local meats raised humanely--but I never considered that the butchering industry largely remains industrialized.

I had been pescatarian for about a year--now this summer she has an internship studying the sentient and social capacity of fish. So that makes me an ovo-dairy vegetarian. Yes, I know my dairy farm. They grow their own grass adn grain for their small herd and they delivery milk in glass bottles. Eggs come from one the many backyard farmers using organic plant-only feed and kitchen scraps.

Yet, I am restricting saturated fat to 9g/day, so that means 1-2 eggs/week and cheese as a light condiment.

So I am not a vegan....yet.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I became vegetarian over 25 years ago. I grew up on a farm and loved the animals. I had a pet chicken as well as a horse, of course dogs and cats. I fell in love with a young calf and was heartbroken when my Dad sold him. All those animals had personalities and showed me love. My family was a typical southern meat eating family.

I added fish back to my diet for a few years and now I’m transitioning to a vegan diet because it’s healthy and I love animals.

• FrecklesAndLocs
    FrecklesAndLocs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    After years of battling health issues and finally trusting my body and not the doctors. I have felt strong enough to go vegan. I've known the benefits of natural and plant based products to heal my body but I, think I needed my doctor to be wowed by my health or by my improvement.
    She has been, and I'm transitioning right from keto to vegan. Which is interesting. My body typically loves to eat less meat during the spring and summer months anyway I naturally seem to go pescatarian during these months so I think that, if anything would be my struggle.
    I know that my body and the earth will LOVE me so much more for eating vegan. I've already started feeling better and I've only been eating this way for 2 weeks.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm transitioning right from keto to vegan.
    I am too
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    My decision was based on a desire for optimum health. I went vegan based on coaching from my martial arts master instructor. I have especially paid attention to the work of Dr. Joel Fuhrman (Eat to Live), and his coaching on focusing on foods dense in micronutrients. It has made a huge difference in my health and athletic performance.
  • kalijones21
    kalijones21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for two years before recently (3 months ago maybe?) switching over to complete veganism. After doing a research project at school i realized how much more i could be doing for the environment.Overall I've been so happy with the change and altough i mess up sometimes, i feel like i'm doing my part.
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was working in a country that imports almost everything. I wanted to reduce my environmental footprint and as a 10+ year vegetarian being vegan made sense.
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Vegan 🌱 FTA! 🐑🐮🐷🐔🐥🐰🐹🐭🐝🦆🐠🦐🦞🦀🐳🐋🐄🐓🦌🐇🐁🦡 Don’t want to be complicit in any animal cruelty.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I finally took the leap over the past week. What sent me over the top was a random video I saw on how chickens were being treated and injected with all kind of chemicals. I already hadn't eaten red meat or pork in over 13 years with fish around 3 to 4 times yearly for some of the same reasons. Outside of cheese, dairy was removed from my diet last year as well.

When I started doing research on what way of eating I closest aligned with I realized I was so close to being vegan that it wouldn't take much to make it official. The video I saw made it happen. The final step was as easy as buying tofu instead of chicken and plant based cheese substitute instead of regular cheese on my last shopping trip to complete the change :smile: I was that close for a while now.

Happy for any new friends that can help me along as most of the folks I have are from my keto/low carb days.
  • Riley4ever
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    I finally took the leap over the past week. What sent me over the top was a random video I saw on how chickens were being treated and injected with all kind of chemicals. I already hadn't eaten red meat or pork in over 13 years with fish around 3 to 4 times yearly for some of the same reasons. Outside of cheese, dairy was removed from my diet last year as well.

When I started doing research on what way of eating I closest aligned with I realized I was so close to being vegan that it wouldn't take much to make it official. The video I saw made it happen. The final step was as easy as buying tofu instead of chicken and plant based cheese substitute instead of regular cheese on my last shopping trip to complete the change :smile: I was that close for a while now.

Happy for any new friends that can help me along as most of the folks I have are from my keto/low carb days.

This is so great! Well done for making the switch for your health, the animals and the planet! There are some inspiring vegan fitness guys on YouTube / insta that are worth a follow e.g Nimai Delgado (vegan bodybuilder whose never eaten meat), Derek Simnett (@simnettnutrition), hench herbivore (and many more). @healthylivingjames does loads of quick vegan nutritious recipes plus there’s mainstreamers like the guys from ‘Bosh’! If you’re interested in finding out more about the ethical side of veganism, Ed Winters (@earthlinged) and James Aspey are great activists 🌱🐷🐓🐮🐥🐟🦀🐝
  • qweck3
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @deClaire Thanks for the references! I'll take a look. I've been watching a lot of the Amazon Prime/Netflix Vegan documentaries for a while now which helped improve my understanding of the BS being done to the animals. I kind of turned a blind eye to poultry but couldn't do it anymore. Life is life and now that I know I can keep some lean mass with plant foods there is no reason to go back to that way.

• Riley4ever
    Options
    Yes there are some great documentaries out there (www.landofhopeandglory.com is a really good one for U.K. standard farming practice and was produced by @earthlinged and his partner who both studied film. Footage from 110 U.K. farms and abbatoirs. Use this film a lot in street activism (anonymous for the voiceless ‘cube of truth’ etc)as it’s split into sections - pigs/chicks/cows/eggs/dairy and only 45 mins long.

I sat through the 2.5+hrs of the U.K. premier of Dominion (Focuses on Australian farming and lots of HD and drone footage) and that was a gruelling but informative watch. I’ve not been able to watch Earthlings (ten years old now and focused on USA) but all my vegan friends say not to put yourself through it if already vegan - so many people turned vegan overnight watching it but I know many people who couldnt watch past the first ten mins.

So sad all the brainwashing and media falsehoods we’re fed everyday. The truth is shocking but thanks to social media and Netflix is getting a good and much needed platform for change :) 💚🌱✊ Well Done for becoming a free thinker!
  • qweck3
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thank you! Will check it out. I think I've watched everything on Prime and Netflix at this point. More knowledge the better. I felt great before with Keto-Low Carb fixing my health this past year but these last few days of plant based are even on another level while even being able to maintain a low carb level. The ultimate combo I guess. Satisfying meals knowing I didn't have to murder anything to eat.
  • qweck3
    Options
    @deClaire Want to say thank you for the reference to Dominion and Earthlings. I watched both today and wow. Never touching meat again. Wrong in so many ways. Even downloaded the Is it Vegan App to verify everything after watching those documentaries. Eyes WIDE open now.
  • Riley4ever
    Options
    Wow Dominion and Earthlings in one day. That’s a lot of suffering to absorb. My heart breaks for every single animal whose had their liberty and life taken from them. We live in such a cruel world but I’m hopeful big changes are coming - they may come more due to environment or people’s own health rather than ethical reasons but if it means less slaughter then it’s all good 🌱💚
  • RichWalkerRFW
    RichWalkerRFW Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My journey started back in 2009 when I read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. I come from a family with a history of cardiovascular disease and diabetes on both sides of my family, and when I read that book it immediately resonated. However, my transition was very gradual and I didn't become fully WFPB until July 2014. Hey, I just realized that I passed my 5-year vegan-versary a few days ago! Yay me! Anyhow, along the way I've been inspired by many books and podcasts. Some of my all-time favorites are Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman (and his other books), How Not To Die by Dr. Michael Greger, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, and the Engine 2 books by Rip Esselstyn. Some of my favorite podcasts are The Exam Room by the Physicians Committee, The Ian Cramer Podcast, Jami Delaney MD Plant Based Wellness podcast, Nutrition Facts with Dr. Greger, Nutrition Rounds Podcast, Plant Yourself - Embracing a Plant-Based Lifestyle, Plant-Strong (by Rip Esselstyn), and The Rich Roll Podcast.

After maintaining a steady weight for the past couple years, in the last few months I've noticed that my weight has started to rise very gradually. I get plenty of exercise. My problem is a tendency to snack, even when I'm not hungry. I've been away from MyFitnessPal for several years, but recently started logging my food intake again to help keep myself accountable. This has helped a lot, and I already feel like I'm getting back on track.

Happy for any new friends to help us both stay accountable and inspired!
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm trying to go vegan because I'm reading How Not to Die by Dr. Greger. My wife isn't on board but she's a pretty stubborn person but very supportive so I know she will come around eventually. My cholesterol has skyrocketed and my Doctor hasn't seemed that concerned. I'm looking for the best tips on how to eat and get all the vitamins and stuff I need. I don't eat junk food as is, I have started to cut out pretty much everything other than chicken and fish, but I'm looking for easy vegan breakfast options. I'm just excited to be healthier. :)
  • RichWalkerRFW
    RichWalkerRFW Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm trying to go vegan because I'm reading How Not to Die by Dr. Greger. My wife isn't on board but she's a pretty stubborn person but very supportive so I know she will come around eventually. My cholesterol has skyrocketed and my Doctor hasn't seemed that concerned. I'm looking for the best tips on how to eat and get all the vitamins and stuff I need. I don't eat junk food as is, I have started to cut out pretty much everything other than chicken and fish, but I'm looking for easy vegan breakfast options. I'm just excited to be healthier. :)

The best tip I can give is to try to complete Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen Challenge that he describes in How Not To Die, every day if possible. There is an app for both the IPhone and Android, that will help you track your Daily Dozen. It’s a lot to eat in a day, and it will help you to crowd out some of the things you’re trying to eliminate, like the chicken and fish. It also pretty much guarantees that you are meeting your daily nutritional needs.

For super easy breakfast options, look on the web for overnight oatmeal recipes. They are really easy to throw together the night before, and they “cook” in the fridge! Use the recipes just for ideas, and use your imagination when you put your overnight oats together. Use old fashioned oats, not quick oats, and a plant-based milk of your choice for the best and healthiest results. Throw in whatever other healthy things sound good and it will be ready in the morning! And if you pick the right set of ingredients, you’ll also be off to a really good start on your Daily Dozen for the day!

Hope this helps!