Macros question specific to morbid obesity

Options
VegaCrisi
VegaCrisi Posts: 4 Member
Hi!

I've been using MFP for a little over a month. At first, I intended to simply track my food for a baseline and reduce calories slowly. However, once I started tracking, I had a desire to make changes to what I'm eating right away.

I know developing a calorie deficit is #1, but I also believe tracking macros is very important. I did a little research to find out what is the best macro ratio is for weight loss and I found that morbidly obese individuals need different ratios than overweight individuals. This makes sense to me, but I'm not sure what macro ratios to use. What do you guys do?

For advice - I'm 5' 2.5" and 233 lbs. I cannot be active because I have hyper mobility of all my joints so my risk of injury is very high. Therefore, I need to be very careful with my diet and need to pay attention to macros in addition to calories.

I'm not keto, but I am trying to reduce my carbs (mainly sugar and simple carbs). I try to eat clean (unprocessed foods) whenever possible and focus on the quality of my food, but I eat my fair share of unnecessary sweets too. :( Since I'm not active, I would think I need to keep reducing my carbs and increasing my fat and keep protein the same. I'm currently averaging 40% from carbs, 20% from protein, and 40% from fat.

Lastly, I'm fairly new to MFP and looking for support. Feel free to add me as a friend. :)

Thanks for your help!
Crisi

Replies

• 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been doing keto since September 2018 and have lost 52lbs without exercise. But you will have to cut your carbs down to about 20-30 net carbs per day. So about 5-10% carbs. This has been the easiest and most effective way for me to actually lose the weight. I started at 5'6 260lbs and I am now 208... you can do it!!!
  • HeatherAmps
    HeatherAmps Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Crisi,
    I'm newly returned to MFP and I'm also trying to reduce my carb intake. I can't do a truly keto diet because I feel too sick and foggy-headed. I focus on healthy sources of protein and plenty of vegetables. Instead I simply aim for less than 100 total carbs per day, give or take. I feel fine and focused as long as I get at least 40-50 carbs/day. I also track my sodium to make sure I get enough; I get faint and dizzy sometimes if my sodium or magnesium drops. For reference, I'm 5'7" and 260lbs. I do follow a lot of keto recipes, but I don't add oodles of fat to everything. That was making me feel sick, too.

So for instance, I'd rather drink my coffee black than add cream to it. I buy organic and fresh, but try to keep it simple. I spend my Sundays prepping meals for the week and doing housework, so I don't give into the temptations of our work cafeteria - carb central.

I don't worry about MFPs stupid freakouts if I don't eat enough calories one day. I don't eat dinner if I'm not hungry, and I don't worry about the three-meal-a-day-proselytizers. I'm trying to learn to listen to my body and not external cues.

I like Keto with Casey on youtube and the book Target 100.