WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY: Yes, No, Maybe

Options
CharidaRoses
CharidaRoses Posts: 4 Member
What are some of your questions, concerns, fears, barriers about weight loss surgery?

It took me a good 2 attempts with 2 different surgeons and 6 years with my surgeon Dr. Hornbostel to proceed with this surgery. During this journey, I learned and had to correct a lot of misinformation in my brain through the seminars. Talking with people on FACEBOOK group and doing my own personal research. I am not an expert by any chance, as I am still learning!

REGRETS: I would say yes and no. Yes, that I didn't do it sooner. No, due to my faith I believe things happen at the right time. This timing could not have been better!!! I wasn't forced, I wasn't on the fence, it was my decision and my ULTIMATE WHY is I... ME... KITTY want to be more physically independent. This is WHY, I went ahead with it. Not to mention, I just got married and both my husband and I want to become more healthier so we can do more serving others.

What are your thoughts about surgery? Ya... Nah.... M A Y B E?

Of course this is not for everyone, but for those who choose to do. I support their choices.

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I was flat out against WLS of any kind for myself. I have gained and lost 60-80lbs a few times as an adult. For the last 5-6 years, I have been stable, regardless of how much exercise I did or how little food I ate. Last year, I was diagnosed with gastroparesis and the best chance to recover from it was to get the RNY. I spent the next year preparing. Had my surgery May 6 and I'm finally feeling like me again. No regrets - I had spent enough time prior to surgery reflecting and preparing, I haven't been surprised by much.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have so many questions! How long did it take to lose the weight? And did you lose all you wanted to? What was life like immediately after the surgery?how long did it take to recover? How many calories do you have each day? And do you get hungry?
  • Chelle380mymfp
    Chelle380mymfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sleeve or RNY.. I can’t decide! My surgeon pushes for the sleeve but everything I’m reading says you lose more with RNY. Im trying to weigh risks vs. benefits. It’s all so new and a little overwhelming!
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sleeve or RNY.. I can’t decide! My surgeon pushes for the sleeve but everything I’m reading says you lose more with RNY. Im trying to weigh risks vs. benefits. It’s all so new and a little overwhelming!

I think part of the decision rests on your "why" you want to lose weight. The choice can also be affected by health issues, etc. You can lose more with the RNY faster(it's documented) but the trade off is your recovery is quicker and surgery is less invasive with the sleeve. And remember, faster is not always better. You can lose the same amount with perseverance and consistency, it may take longer. I have not had the discussion with my surgeon yet, but will be surprised if he/she recommends anything other than sleeve.