Too many calories ?

Options
coolcoolman1980
coolcoolman1980 Posts: 101 Member
Is this too many calories back for 12k steps ??

Replies

• jessiedawn8400
    jessiedawn8400 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It depends what your activity level is set as ... if its sedentary, or even lightly active, then that's probably not too many... you can look at the details to see how it came up with that number based on your settings
  • coolcoolman1980
    Options
    kt5u21ncg7qg.png
    This is from today ,did some jogging in amongst the steps calculation . I feel like this is too much .
  • jessiedawn8400
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'm guessing with a base calorie goal of 1500 you are set to sedentary and to lose 2 pounds a week. 20k+ steps is more than very active, so that's probably a legit adjustment. You could start with only eating 50-75% of those for 4-6 weeks and see if you are losing as expected. If you're losing faster, you can eat more of them. But you have to do whatever you do consistently for 4-6 weeks so you have the consistent data to look back on.

When I was set to sedentary I would usually start seeing adjustments when I hit about 3k steps. Lightly active usually between 5500. I averaged out my steps over a couple months and chose an activity level closer to what that would be. Now I don't get the large adjustments which my mind didn't like, although in the end, the numbers are all the same.

Play around with a tdee calculator to get an estimate of what they say your daily burn is. Keep in mind that will include intentional average excerise while mfp doesn't. But your tdee should be close to what your fitbit says your daily burn is.... If it's way off, then you may need to adjust some of your settings to try and get it closer. An average 35 yr old male who's 5'10 weighing 200lbs whose lightly active, averages around 2500 calories burned a day. If you are taller, heavier, and more active you'll burn more.
  • jessiedawn8400
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I can't figure out how to get a screenshot to work but on Sunday I had just about the same amount of steps after walking around a zoo all day, and I had an adjustment of, 1,444 calories. My activity level is set to active and it was still that high. I'm confident my fitbit is accurate and trust it based on months of tracking. I am a 5'2 female weight 200 lbs. I made a quick spreadsheet that I put calories consumed and burned on and have it average it out for me over a period of time. Being able to go back and look at that, I know I'm losing as expected with a quick and if I'm not, I can see where I need to adjust.
  • coolcoolman1980
    Options
    uty83fni8faa.png
    Already tracked some stuff for tomorrow but I have millions of calories left .
    I have had a takeaway too this week . I have lost weight this week .. just think these aren’t right & is a false sense of security if I were to eat them back . (Not going to)
  • jessiedawn8400
    Options
    It looks as though you are severely under eating. You may be losing weight (I'm sure quicker than recommended) and feeling good now, but that will change. 1500 calories is the MINIMUM recommended for a male, and you are netting around half of that. You may want to consider eating some of the calories back, or set your activity level and rate of loss more appropriately for your lifestyle and lose at a healthy rate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So you are going to ignore MFP attempting to help you learn a life lesson about weight management.

You do more - you eat more.
    You do less - you eat less. (usually the kicker direction)

In a diet, a tad less in either case.

That is very legit extra calories for that massive amount of steps.

Now, perhaps the distance is incorrect (because calories is based on distance, not steps) and so the figure could be off.

Ever walked a known distance at middle pace of 2 mph (not grocery store shuffle, not exercise pace) and confirmed Fitbit saw the distance right?

Overstressing your body by undereating will ultimately lead to failure, either in trying to reach goal weight as your body adapts against the abuse, or failing in maintenance as still over 50% of dieters do.