First Ultra (training) Help Please

Options
mbaker566
mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
I'm looking doing bigger ultras but i thought since i did a full marathon in spring, i'd see about doing a 50k in fall. (50mi to come, idk about 100+)
so i like the idea of a plan. google supplied a lot of different options. this one from santa clarita's running group looked pretty achievable. Is it ok some of the long runs are over 20mi in training? I've seen a few marathon programs that go up to 22mi.
I'm not looking to break any land records. my marathon pace was just about 13:00 and i was undertrained.
there are a few ultras in my area right about when this plan ends. and then i'd like to continue training into a 50 miler, maybe 100k. not so sure about the 100milers
also when you train, do you train more with regular food as opposed to gels or chews? the ultra i volunteered at had broth, cookies, candy, chips, plus whatever else the runners brought.

tldr: does this look like a good plan? and what do you like to eat?
gdecrmwdn739.png

Replies

• GoOneMore_
    GoOneMore_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I might not be the most qualified to answer, but I will let you know my thoughts from my past 8 months of running. I followed the santa clarita's plan for my first 50 mile race. I injured myself one of the weeks because I tried to follow it exactly without taking into account how my body felt (and I definitely didn't have the baseline mileage to ramp up so quickly). I ended up running 34/50 miles in my race because I never fully healed from my previous injuries. If you have run a marathon, you can definitely finish the 50k ultra. My longest run was 18 miles through training - at some point it just becomes about mental grit. Also, in ultra races walking is extremely common throughout and oftentimes promoted. Use this plan as a template, but don't worry too much if your 24 mile run ends up being a 18-20 mile run. It is better to get to the starting line a little under-trained compared to being injured.

Every runner you ask will give you a different viewpoint on nutrition. Some rely only on whole foods, some only on gels/blocks, etc. I started off with gels but couldn't stomach them at a certain point in my race and had to switch the whole foods, and I know individuals who do the exact opposite. For your long runs, try to simulate exact conditions for your race. Try to get out around race time, bring the gear you would bring, and test out different combinations of food and hydration. I didn't do enough of it and your stomach can become upset very quickly if you are running those distances while trying out new foods. Feel free to add me - I am just getting into the ultra scene myself!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Thanks for the response.
    Definitely a template. I'm all about simulating the race day experience. The good news is it's nearby so I can run the same trails.
    I like the chews but I've had the experience that it was too much sugar. Which lead to some desperation to find a gas station along the road. I would like to never ever have that experience again

I'm hoping to get thru half the plan and decide whether to do the 50k or the 25k and register if there's still room. More good news is there are a few ultras around the same time if registration is full
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    That plan looks fine. Your goal is to finish, so just follow the plan and, on race day, just take it easy and have fun.

For nutrition, experiment and find what works for you. I personally like Tailwind, as it has gotten me through races from 50k-100 miles. I also eat food at Aid Stations. Quesidillas and grilled cheese sandwiches are awesome. Mix and match what you can and see what you like and what your body can handle.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    thanks @MNLittleFinn
    good to see you on the boards again
    i've heard good things about tailwind.

mmm....cheese
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Did something to my hip in aerial yoga. No ultra this fall. Maybe spring
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Sorry to hear this. I hope you heal quickly.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Sorry to hear about this. Don't worry though. Ultras are always out there. Getting all healed up is super important. Take care of your hip and get healthy. Then you'll be in a good spot to train for an ultra.