Why do you knit?

Options
2»

Replies

• rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I just learned how to knit but have crocheted since age 12 (around that time) I didn't start seriously making work until my late 20's. I like making afghans, baby items, hats, and making my first sweater for myself.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I crochet because I love making something tangible (I own a web design business, and its nice to be able to hold something you've made instead of just looking at it), and because its better to have yarn in my hands while watching TV than a bag of potato chips!

so true!! I think many people eat out of boredom but it's hard to touch yarn and have greasy fingers from eating something at the same time.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I learned to knit 52 years ago at 16.

I just took to it right away and it has given me so many hours of pleasure over the years.

I just have to keep my hands occupied on long trips and while watching tv.

I have loved making things for people during these last 52 years.

But right now I am mostly knitting hats for charity with all my scrap yarn (tons).
  • classykaren
    classykaren Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    They had a knitting group on my last cruise on Norwegian.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just finished finished a boob hat for a friend's baby, complete with a nipple ring! :D
  • 4gotNcharlie
    4gotNcharlie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Knitting is a great way to keep myself and my mind busy and off of food. The domestic arts is my hobby; knitting, is easy to carry with me and do while in public. Busy hands keep me out of trouble.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    joeysrib wrote: »
    I just finished finished a boob hat for a friend's baby, complete with a nipple ring! :D [/q
    That is awesome!
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Keeps me from assassinating my husband. XD

Nah seriously, It calms me and helps me think. :)
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    For me, it's like @mikejskyfitness said: i love something tangible! i love to make useful things that I can watch progress and finish. so rarely in life do we have problems that have a visible solution, but those are my jam: dirty kitchen? dirty car? laundry? unpainted room? these are obvious issues/projects that have a straightforward solution. low self esteem? need to speak french? strength train? these take time and sometimes you can't really tell when you're done-done. for me, knitting is a calm spot for a mind that that prefers the concrete.