Hashimotos & Gluten Free...

Options
I have recently been diagnosed with Hashimotos and was told to try gluten free for at least 3 mos to see if it made me feel any better... Has anyone ever had to go gluten free due to health issues? Did it help?

I am completely new to this and soooo clueless :(

Replies

• wellingtonjones
    wellingtonjones Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimotos a year ago. I went gluten free right away and it has helped greatly.
  • Nana2Hank
    Nana2Hank Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for medical reasons for 2 years now. It has truly made a world of difference! I feel so much better!
  • BrittneyCritter
    BrittneyCritter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed first with Hashimoto's and Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. About 2 years later I was given a diagnosis of Celiac disease as well. I feel so much better after going gluten free. With the Hashimoto's and celiac's, my body was in starvation mode... nutrients weren't getting though my small intestine. I retained weight like crazy. It also caused some major mood fluxuations. After being gluten free and on levothyroxine for a year, my mood issues cleared up, my PCOS issues got better, and my energy levels raised. I always say going gluten free was my life-saver.
  • arcountrygirl1
    arcountrygirl1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's, PCOS, and Celiac as well. Going gluten free has been the best thing. I used to have knife stabbing pain in my stomach and tinnitus and they are both gone. My PCOS issues are better as well.
  • mcbethoco
    mcbethoco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had Hashimotos for 25 years...lots of ups and downs. About 7 years ago I developed "eczema" that was downright awful and yearround requiring lots of antihistamines and steroid creams with no avail. I had felt for a couple of years that gluten was an issue along with my lifelong struggle with IBS and was really beginning to see the link with the autoimmune disease, gluten intolerance and the rash, not to mention the stomach issues. I have been gluten free for one month and am feeling better. Not 100% but better, kind of a whole body better, rash is improved and I I don't feel constantly bloated and gassy ect. That's all I need to keep this lifestyle up. Iam however in a food rut......I can't eat anything with xanthum gum so Iam only eating naturally gluten free foods but probably too much rice and potatoes.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yes....I have Hashimotos and went gluten, dairy, sugar and soy free. It's been about a month and I feel a lot better. I have had some slip ups but for he most part I stick to it and it works.
  • matti422
    matti422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Get tested for celiac disease before you go gluten free. Hashimoto's and celiac frequently occur together (don't know why... My doctor told me...i have both), and celiac blood tests will come back with false negative if you're not consuming gluten.
  • becky4050
    becky4050 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked to see this hashimoto and celiac connection- what I would have given to know about this sooner. I've only just recently learned how long I have been suffering from the two, undiagnosed. Now I have full blown Hypothyroidism along with newly discovered celiacs of which I am struggling to cope with. It is a good thing that your doctor at least recognized a common, possible connection. Hopefully it never becomes an issue for you.