Newly diagnosed and scared

Options
alli_dalli
alli_dalli Posts: 22 Member
Hi all, so good to see there's an MS group here. I was diagnosed a few months back but it's only just hit me. Especially since I'm having trouble walking and trouble with balance. Fell over only yesterday! And I am putting weight on, finding it hard to exercise, taking stupid amounts of medication. But the biggest problem is I keep telling myself I can't do things that I used to. Would love to hear from others who are living with MS. Sounds a bit selfish to hope that there are others with MS when really I just wish it didn't exist and that nobody had it. But if you have, I'd love a friend who understands.

Replies

• whiterosebud
    whiterosebud Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, Alli, I get it. I am 61, diagnosed in 2008 but I've had this since at least age 18. Stay positive, read about low carb diets to reduce inflammation, move all you can and don't tell yourself you cant..I've started slowly back on the treadmill...we lose ground quickly...try hard!
  • janshall
    janshall Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Been around for awhile with MS, diagnosed in '97, but had it for awhile before. It is no picnic, but, also not a death sentence. We do lose ground quickly as whiterosebud said. I have learned this the hard way. Kind of just hung out the past several years (like a freaking decade) and it has caught up with me. Working hard to lose the weight I've put on and mainly just eat healthier because nutrition is so important when you have an illness. Here if you need to talk or complain or rejoice!
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi Alli!

No wonder I haven't "seen" you in a while! So sorry! If you were doing generally OK and now you're experiencing this symptoms, it may be a relapse. Get it checked out if you haven't done so already. I just started exercising about a month ago after over 6 years! Like you, I was unable to do so many things all these years, but found things that I could do, like photography. Concentrate on what you can do. When your body is able to other things again, it will let you know. Yes, there are going to be very bleak moments in your MS journey, but keep up with your health, listen to your body, take your medications, and follow up with your doctors regularly. <3
  • dcavaleri
    dcavaleri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed in 2001, so I have had it for awhile. Best advise I ever got was that my life would change completely but I didn’t have to stop doing anything that I wanted, I would just need to do it differently. I run - I can still run but can’t go in the middle of the day in summer. I have to go early in the morning to stay cool. Stay positive and many days I tell myself over and over - just keep going, just keep going!!! Whatever it takes, right?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @dcavaleri good to hear from you! I had my first attack in 2001 and am similar in that I can still run but have to avoid running in high temps.