Husbands and Weight

Options
Do any of you have husbands who don't have any issues with their weight and can't "get" yours? My husband is super supportive but he doesn't seem to quite understand. He was always very lean, and then bulked up as an adult. Now he's got 9% body fat. We go to the gym together one night a week as I usually wake up and go before work. He's very supportive of going together or helping push me out of bed at 5am to go to the gym myself.

However, when it comes to food, he doesn't understand. I tell him abotu calories and that 3500 calories equals a pound. He doesn't believe me. I tell him I track everything and need to give myself treats and then he can't understand why I'm eating air pop popcorn. I assure him I am eating within my calorie limits. He is trying to be helpful and supportive but I'm so frustrated that he doesn't understand - and I think he is as well.

can anyone relate? give advice?

He is fine with my body how it is - but I'm not!

Replies

• see_turtle
    see_turtle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband gets annyoned that I talk about tracking or when I try not to eat as much as he does ( he is 6'3" and 300lbs) I have gained so much since we met in part because I match his portions when I should eat maybe 1/2 or 2/3 what he eats. I try not to talk about being on here and use my MFP friends for supports. He is supportive don't get me wrong but I think he is sick of my false starts and lack of progress as am I!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    OK - I think that's part of it, too. He's supportive but sick of me saying "i'm going to do it" and then get frustrated and not stick with it. Which is understandable as we are also frustrated with ourselves.

When I watch my husband eat I figure I can eat the same amount. In reality, he can eat a ton more calories without weight gain then I can due to his muscle mass and just being a man.

It's a hard lesson to learn I can't eat as much as him :(
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Josh is really trying to learn about all this stuff with me , but no he doesn't quite get it. He'll say things like "oh just get the cheeze-its, you went to the gym today!" and i have to remind him that no an hour of light cardio and weights does not negate the 700 calories in a bag of cheez-its. I tried explaining bmr and tdee to him the other day but I think he felt like i was giving him homework becuase he kind of checked out of the conversation. He's trying, he's actually trying to lose a few lbs himself, but he doesnt really understand what it's like to feel out of place in your own body. He doesn't need it as bad as me.
  • cuinboston2014
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you are going through a similar situation but it's helpful to know I'm not alone. I tried explaning to my husband too that I just hate being in my skin sometimes but they can't see it because they love us for us. Overall, food and weight seem to be so much more emotional for girls. My husband might get upset over like 2 pounds but he will work it off in 2 days - probably water weight but still. I see two pounds and want to run and hide lol.

UGH!

And I love/hate when they recommend yummy food. For us it used to always be "let's go get custard." OMG one time was OK not once every week lol.
  • cuinboston2014
    Options
    BTW - hedgy I just read your profile. My name's Amanda too :)
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Josh is just breaking his bad habit of surprising me with treats when I get home lol! for awhile like 3 nights a week he would be waiting with cheesecake or ice cream! craziness i tell you! Well miss Amanda it is nice to meet you!
  • cuinboston2014
    Options
    oh my goodness! I would probably either love or hate my husband for doing that. I'm not sure what's worse - them enabling or questioning everything. I have a fun size candy bar within my calories and my husband will say something like "if you are trying to lose weight, why are you going to eat that?" and he just wants to know. He's not questioning me but i HATE it.

I don't think I could resist cheesecake and ice cream when I walk in the door lol
  • laceew93
    laceew93 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Chase, doesn't like his weight either but we did measurements at our gym and I have more body fat than he does. But, he isn't where he wants to be. HOWEVER, I decided to count calories to help with weight loss. He thinks he can eat what he normally eats and still lose the weight. So, in a way, he gets it but he also thinks it's just going to fall off when he works out/works outside.