Introductions

Options
13»

Replies

• windNthewillows
    windNthewillows Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone :smiley: I am excited to take part of the October challenge!
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    RoxanaDP wrote: »
    Hello everybody,
    My name is Roxana, I'm a 36 years old Romanian using the good old metric system, which will most likely make things interesting around here :p . This is my first time joining this challenge and I hope to see it through and that it will help infuse some much needed willpower into me, even if by brute force.
    I'm quite active at the moment, spending 1 hour a day in the gym, 5 times a week. However, I am also a foodie, so we'll just have to see how that goes. Currently sitting at 64 kg, give or take 200-300 grams, at a height of 170 cm. I've lost 14 kg so far, since the start of June, current body fat 29%, down from 37% at my starting weight. I've reached a plateau I'm hoping to overcome.
    Best of luck to all of you and I guess I'll see you for the sign-in.
    ;)

I can only function in metric! I'm Dutch by birth, now living in France after some 30-odd years in UK. Was so happy to return to metric, never got used to stones, lbs (! What's that about?) and ozs. As for American cups, when measuring food from a recipe ... How big a cup???
    I am also a foodie. Would be most happy to get my weight down to yours. I'm only a cm or so shorter than you, but weigh some 80 kg ... I'm also a bit older, 68, so it's not so easy. Good luck to all of us!
  • MadDuck62
    MadDuck62 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was a member of the UAC for July and August, then made it half-way through September. I'm re-committing myself to the challenge for October. I've lost 23 lbs in the three months since I started UAC and I'm trying to lose 15 more lbs by December 23rd. I'm open to having additional friends if you're interested.
  • loopydo2017
    loopydo2017 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Hey all. 37 year old, Canadian mom of 3. I’ve been a part of UAC off and on over the past several years. I spent a good part of the last 3 months travelling and now I’m ready to settle back into routine and make my health a priority again.
  • SarahsBestLife
    SarahsBestLife Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm in Australia, so it's actually the 5th here. Today was my son's birthday, so it was a massive buffet of party food, and I watched my 9yo daughter eat, and eat, and eat, until her stomach hurt - and five minutes later she came and said "I'm hungry." I realised then that I am passing on my habits and lifestyle to my children, and it's not something I feel good about. I want to develop better habits, better health, and leave them a better legacy than that. I've been a stay-at-home mum for 12 years, and now I'm studying full-time to become a teacher aide. Next school term will be the first in which I am trying to actively improve my health. This Christmas has to be my last one in this body. I don't want to do a programme, just eat better, move more, and learn to love myself.
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just re-joined MFP on Sept 30th after a few year absence (and gaining back a bunch of weight and then some). I'm now one week into counting my calories again and feeling great about it. This group is amazing so far to help me feel accountable for my weight-loss goals. I think I will actually be down several pounds by the end of the month. Thanks Rick & everyone else!! :)
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend I upgraded my phone and my teen's phone. I am checking out the Samsung Health app and I am curious if anyone uses the Samsung Health app as well? I am also curious as to how to integrate both the Samsung Health app and My Fitness Pal together. Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,388 Member
    Options
    Hi, all.

I am an Ottawa, Canada native.

I hit maintenance (135 lbs) last April (thanks to UAC / MFP), and am pleased to announce that here at the beginning of October, I am still within 4 pounds of that number. The highest I hit was day-after-homecoming from 2 weeks in UK, (140.2) where Hubby and I walked ~ 10 to 12 miles every day according to my Fitbit ... mostly up hill!

(Around Winchester, and the Cornwall coast near Lands End). Only 1.5 pounds up from the day we left on vacation. Some of that may have been salty airline food on the flight home, because a week-at-home later, PLUS weighing 4 hours earlier this morning compared to all of last week staying home (now that I am back to the office), I am already back to 138.5. That kind of change that fast HAS to be hydration resettle and / or digestive system finished processing an extra-large meal.

I am back here with UAC for at least October, mostly to confirm that my sense of portion sizes haven't shifted over time. So back to digital food scale and logging every day, and probably longer. I have always enjoyed this group!

I won't be in the Winner's Circle for October what with my late start - but I have the specific goal of getting back to 135 before mid-Nov at the latest, followed by working on finding that elusive balance between maintenance calorie intake and ongoing exercise/activity burn output. And keeping it there over the Holly Daze Silly-Season of late November through early January.
  • KCJen
    Options
    @BMcC9 Hello! Good to see you :)
  • BMcC9
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi, yourself, @KCJen ! Good to see you are still here too!!! If you feel like it, send me a note about hows-it-been-going over the summer.
  • KCJen
    Options
    @BMcC9 I am just still busy with classes. Graduation is mid-December so I am getting excited!! How have you been?
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I was WONDERING how close to grad-time you were now .... yay YOU!!!

Just back from a two-weeks out-of-country / 1 week back home vacation. Winchester UK and Land's End, Cornwall (southwest UK) I SOOOO don't want to be back in the office!

But back to reality now ... and back here to see if past 6 months of intake level has truly been about what I thought it was (refining personal Maintenance-For-Me balanced intake/exercise requirements and definitions)
  • RoxanaDP
    RoxanaDP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm in Australia, so it's actually the 5th here. Today was my son's birthday, so it was a massive buffet of party food, and I watched my 9yo daughter eat, and eat, and eat, until her stomach hurt - and five minutes later she came and said "I'm hungry." I realised then that I am passing on my habits and lifestyle to my children, and it's not something I feel good about. I want to develop better habits, better health, and leave them a better legacy than that. I've been a stay-at-home mum for 12 years, and now I'm studying full-time to become a teacher aide. Next school term will be the first in which I am trying to actively improve my health. This Christmas has to be my last one in this body. I don't want to do a programme, just eat better, move more, and learn to love myself.

I work from home, so I can completely relate to your situation - how the weight sort of creeps up on you given the fact that you're always within reach of something to nibble on.
    It took me a long time to find the motivation to start a healthier (slimmer?) lifestyle.
    Unfortunately for me that motivation came in the shape of periarthritis in my shoulder, which would not go away, not even with all the physio in the world.
    Once the doctor said I would have to work out and strengthen my office-chair-potato millennial non-existent muscles, otherwise my bad genes and bad joints would trouble me forever and ever, that was it. I bought a food scale and a gym membership that same day and haven't looked back. Turns out I did have the time to exercise.... who knew?!
    I wish you the best of luck! And keep at it, it does get much easier with time, once you get your portion sizes stabilized. And healthy food is super tasty, so no worries there.
    All the best!
  • RoxanaDP
    RoxanaDP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Chinkiri wrote: »
    Hello everybody,
    My name is Roxana, I'm a 36 years old Romanian using the good old metric system, which will most likely make things interesting around here :p . This is my first time joining this challenge and I hope to see it through and that it will help infuse some much needed willpower into me, even if by brute force.
    I'm quite active at the moment, spending 1 hour a day in the gym, 5 times a week. However, I am also a foodie, so we'll just have to see how that goes. Currently sitting at 64 kg, give or take 200-300 grams, at a height of 170 cm. I've lost 14 kg so far, since the start of June, current body fat 29%, down from 37% at my starting weight. I've reached a plateau I'm hoping to overcome.
    Best of luck to all of you and I guess I'll see you for the sign-in.
    ;)

I can only function in metric! I'm Dutch by birth, now living in France after some 30-odd years in UK. Was so happy to return to metric, never got used to stones, lbs (! What's that about?) and ozs. As for American cups, when measuring food from a recipe ... How big a cup???
    I am also a foodie. Would be most happy to get my weight down to yours. I'm only a cm or so shorter than you, but weigh some 80 kg ... I'm also a bit older, 68, so it's not so easy. Good luck to all of us!

Lovely to meet a fellow foodie! And since I've always had a lovely time in your beautiful birth county, I like you already!
    The cup thing kills me every single time! Such a shame, since I love cooking and I found some great recipes over the years, which never turn out right :p
    Personally, I've decided not to watch the scale anymore, I no longer care about the number of kilograms - since they can vary so much from one day to the other, especially for women, retaining water etc... I'm currently working towards a better fitness level, more energy and hopefully a better body shape than the pear I am currently.
    Living in France is probably a hard thing for the figure, their food is the best in world, i.m.o... I don't know how the French do it, they all seem to eat and stay slim. I'd love me some of that type of metabolism :D
    Best of luck!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Chinkiri wrote: »

Lovely to meet a fellow foodie! And since I've always had a lovely time in your beautiful birth county, I like you already!
    The cup thing kills me every single time! Such a shame, since I love cooking and I found some great recipes over the years, which never turn out right :p

As someone who survived the imperial-to-metric conversion (in Canada), I can tell you that recipe databases such as allrecipes.com will do the conversion from one to the other for you. Part of the trick to successfully converting a recipe is that "all volumes must be from the same system" so that the relative proportions stay correct. If you can find a similar recipe in allrecipes.com (or even any recipe with an ingredient or two in the size you need); you can click on the "convert to metric" radio button and find out what the equivalent volume would be.

For "1 cup", read "250 ml"; for "1 pound", read "500 gms"; the "true scientific concurrence" is not quite 100%, but what recipe converters do is start with this kind of table, and go from there to keep proportions as round numbers in both weighing / measuring systems, and the relative volumes of ingredients the same.

• catvlmack
    catvlmack Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know I'm joining mid month but I feel I have to act now. I've been stagnent for the last 18 months, due to my own actions, and I need to get back on the waggon as I'm starting to creep back up. My starting weight was 213, my lowest was 162 and I'm currently at 170. Looking forward to getting back to doing what I know I can do!
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    catvlmack wrote: »
    Hi, I know I'm joining mid month but I feel I have to act now.

Welcome, this is a great group! Glad you jumped right on in!!
  • fedupfatty10
    fedupfatty10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am joining at the end of the month just to stay accountable but I will participate in the game competition next month