What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• mickeyj297
    mickeyj297 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just watched another forged in fire episode while stationary cycling, time flew by
  • Seachange_dogs
    Seachange_dogs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like watching Great British Bake Off while I use the stationary rower. I only ever watch it while I row so it's like a special treat when I get on the rower...
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I posted this is in the wrong spot earlier.

Over the weekend I upgraded my phone and my teen's phone. I am checking out the Samsung Health app and I am curious if anyone uses the Samsung Health app as well? I am also curious as to how to integrate both the Samsung Health app and My Fitness Pal together. Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    I will be back to my stationary bike for short HIIT sessions to supplement my Fitbit step-counting activities. Ottawa is just SOOOOOO flat compared with Winchester and Cornwall coast, UK of my two-week vacation, that jogging on my mini-trampoline just isn't that challenging, beyond getting the total-step-count up. If you are from Eastern Canada / US and have ever been to Halifax Nova Scotia .... it's comparable to that! You can't get ANYWHERE without going over the top of some steep hill(s).

I often watch short Youtube videos while biking. There is a set of 5 that take you the entire 100 miles along the South Downs Way from Winchester to Southampton (and lots of varying-length and scenery Virtual Treadmill trails from all over the world to choose from as well). I only have a set-top box attached to the tv in the exercise room, so that limits me Youtube and Netflix - no cable or streaming options.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    My favorite month is pumpkin spice. I figure there is a reason why my birthday is early Oct! 😉 Does anyone else have a favorite flavor that turns up as cyclical yearly challenge to moderation? (Not necessarily a fall flavor ... maybe candy cane everything around Christmas, or mint everything around St Patrick's day / March for example.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 I didn’t notice your suggestion on Oct 8th till just now. It was a good one! For everyone else, I was saying that Canadian Thanksgiving was this weekend and I was trying to mentally prepare to stay strong. This was her response:

“Is it a situation where you can control ANY of the menu? If you aren't hosting, can you offer to bring a (personal fave that fills and satisfies you) salad or or a dessert (and not mention that the dessert recipe is your fav from the Diabetic Friendly sub-set of allrecipes.com and made with stevia not sugar .... )”

Brilliant! I am bringing a ton of vegetables, but it hadn’t occurred to me to make a sugar-free dessert. I’m going to try that.

Anyone have a favourite sugar-free dessert recipe?
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I am very quickly getting back in the "Go For the Green / Treat net calorie numbers like a bank balance" thinking. IMO There is no such thing as "bad / forbidden food" - barring individual medical related possibilities.

I DO concede that an individual might have a trigger food (there's no such thing as "ONE salted peanut") that might have to be set aside for right now, until you find the best alternative to deal with it. Not because it is "bad" per ce, but just because there are only so many calories in the budget, and you are deciding this one thing is "too costly" today.

Hopefully it can eventually either become a moderated / controled whenever-option, or at least be part included as an "intentional pass day" item from time to time once it no longer has the power of triggering a multi-day or multi week derailment.

Most people don't have the budget to buy a brand new car EVERY DAY either .... and wouldn't even if they could ....
  • RoxanaDP
    RoxanaDP Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Anyone have a favourite sugar-free dessert recipe?
    I make ice-cream by blending plain yogurt with lemon juice and forest fruit. It will turn out with ice crystals and it's not that smooth - but still good i.m.o. You can add honey or liquid sugar/sweetener of choice to it to prevent that, or just try making a small quantity first, and see if you can live with it.
    Carrot cake is also a fave, this is one recipe https://thesugarfreediva.com/sugar-free-carrot-cake/
    But usually I just eye-ball it. Equal quantities of flour, sugar (replacement sweetener) and grated carrots, half that quantity in oil or melted butter, pinch of salt, cinnamon to taste, vanilla or grated lemon/orange zest, whatever you have around, baking soda according to whatever quantity you're making and eggs until you feel it won't disintegrate in the oven - again, based on the quantities. I usually use 3-4, depending on their size. I've also made this with half carrot, half apple and it's just as good. I don't usually add nuts to it - although they make it really tasty, dessert is at the end of a meal and calories can add up very quickly.
    Same recipe to make coconut cake. So let's say 200 flour (2 cups in American measuring system? not sure); 200 grams sugar (replacement sweetener), 100 grams of oil or melted butter, 100 grams of grated coconut - which will be the same volume as flour, so still 2 cups. The only difference compared to previous is that carrot/apple will contain liquid, coconut is dry, so you need to add 200 ml (2 cups) of coconut milk or milk or just plain old water. Baking powder, 4 eggs, mix everything together and bake.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Thank you! All three sound delish! I ended up buying sugar free custard and some berries (took the lazy way out), but I screen shot your post and I will definitely try when I have more time, probably starting with the carrot cake. Yum!
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake is my favorite!!
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    cjane917 wrote: »
    I also love carrot cake! I've done a recipe where you replace half the oil with applesauce (even better if homemade!) and it's delicious and a bit healthier :)

Speaking of apples, here's a photo from my Saturday in the apple orchard:

vytpjndctr05.jpg

Nice pic! Never had it with applesauce, sounds really good!!!
  • nicnz
    nicnz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Benefits of not working in the middle of the CBD:
    Blossoms on the short walk to the local village from office 😍
    And it's finally feeling like spring with temps up to 18°C ☀️☀️☀️
    c8c6dt9re4u5.jpg
  • RoxanaDP
    RoxanaDP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Lilutz wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm sorry that I went MIA. I had to drop out of this month's challenge very early on due to a devastating crisis in my family. It is ongoing (and likely will be for years), but I at least am finally back in town and I've returned to work as of yesterday, so am getting back into a routine. I will come back for November, for sure!

All the best to you! Hopefully things will be better soon!
  • goldthistime
    Options
    @Lilutz Sorry to hear of the crisis in your family. We'll be here when you're ready. Sending good thoughts your way.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Rainy day...makes a good day for a cauliflower soup. My favorite soup you would think to be a cream based soup but, in fact, is totally dairy free and gluten free. It comes in at under 80 calories per serving...but you can also add corn or potatoes to make a chowder or broccoli for a cream of broccoli soup which, of course, increases the calories per serving a bit. I prepare it the easy way...taking a whole head of cauliflower (including any leaves as it comes from the store), put in in a pressure cooker (no cutting up the cauliflower) with 4 cups of water, 2-3 teaspoons of vegetable base, garlic and onion or any other herbs to your liking and cook at 15 pound pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure drop of its own accord without removing the weight. Once cooled, scoop half of the cauliflower (it should be very tender and thoroughly cooked) with half of the poured liquid into a blender and blend to a smooth pureed consistency. Repeat for the second half. When blending, I often add a very small amount of cayenne pepper (never more than 1/8 teaspoon for the whole batch of soup) to give it a little heat. Too much pepper...and I'm guaranteed the hiccups every time I eat it! Add salt to your liking when serving. No pressure cooker? Just cut up the cauliflower and simmer it with 4 cups of your favorite broth and herbs until the cauliflower is almost mushy tender...then follow with the blender to puree. Add vegetables later if you want a chowder or cream of broccoli soup. This is a soup you will either love or hate...but you won't know until you try it. I keep it in the refrigerator on a regular basis...but then, I'm a vegetable person.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    @w8goal4life Brilliant! I love easy! I’m going to try this recipe. Cauliflower is priced right this time of year.
  • cjane917
    cjane917 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    @w8goal4life great sounding recipe!