What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    For the first couple of weeks next month, I'll be continuing my beach babysitting sessions! We have a mother and son elephant seal on one of our beaches. This is the first time in 70 years that an elephant seal was born on the south African coast and we are looking after the to ensure that mom, Zelda, doesn't get disturbed in the 3 weeks that Ziggy will suckle. He was actually born 4 km down the coast but the beach was too narrow and we moved them (what an experience that was!) so, between my normal work at the office with all those animals, and my personal life, I spend a few hours every couple of days helping keep people away from the seals. It does help that this is also considered work! What an epic opportunity to be involved in!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,064 Member
    Options
    @lexabeep Good point. It's isn't just about calories. We need to keep our macros/micros in balance.

Looking forward to November Challenge.
  • Leafi55
    Leafi55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @lexabeep I’m taking a daily multivitamin for women, so hope this is true for me too.
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    @lexabeep Good point. It's isn't just about calories. We need to keep our macros/micros in balance.

Hi Terri
    *waves from across the internet*

Long time, no see. Glad to see you're still kicking goals while I was off having a 👶.

Well done on being in the winners circle, not easy. I've been back consistently tracking for 3 weeks and long forward to this challenge.

Catch you in the forums
    Del
  • lexabeep
    lexabeep Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I’m leaving for my trip today and really stressing about the food. I’ve decided to up my calorie intake to 1500 and just try to keep track as much as I can. This way I’ll still be loosing but much more slowly. I’m certainly going to enjoy the food and relax but to me it is no excuse to indulge because I’m a traveler. If I used that as an excuse- well I’d just end up where I already am. I had my official weigh in this week with my biometrics, the break down of body composition, and I’m super happy about the results and looking forward to seeing next months. Down six lbs over all from last month. Hope you all are doing well and if anyone has advice for eating healthily while traveling in a country you don’t speak or read the language let me know 🤷🏻‍♀️. Ha!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    lexabeep wrote: »
    Hey all! I’m leaving for my trip today and really stressing about the food. I’ve decided to up my calorie intake to 1500 and just try to keep track as much as I can. This way I’ll still be loosing but much more slowly. I’m certainly going to enjoy the food and relax but to me it is no excuse to indulge because I’m a traveler. If I used that as an excuse- well I’d just end up where I already am. I had my official weigh in this week with my biometrics, the break down of body composition, and I’m super happy about the results and looking forward to seeing next months. Down six lbs over all from last month. Hope you all are doing well and if anyone has advice for eating healthily while traveling in a country you don’t speak or read the language let me know 🤷🏻‍♀️. Ha!

No advice, but good luck and have fun!!

• TerriRichardson112
    Options

Hi Terri
    *waves from across the internet*

Long time, no see. Glad to see you're still kicking goals while I was off having a 👶.

Well done on being in the winners circle, not easy. I've been back consistently tracking for 3 weeks and long forward to this challenge.

Catch you in the forums
    Del

Welcome back, Del. How's the little one doing.
  • tiffany80802017
    tiffany80802017 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I’m looking for some motivation if anyone has any feedback to share?

In March this year, I started weight training and adding cardio sporadically and lost about 10 lbs, then increased activity about 3 months ago. Past 3 months, I’ve been getting about 2 hours of cardio/day, weight training 1-3 days/week, and restricting my kcal (~1300)/logging everything, and my weight has only moved a few lbs. I have over 100 lbs to lose. I’ve switched up my routine and don’t always do the same workout or program.

Anyway, after working this hard and seeing little movement, I’m feeling defeated. I’m sure, in time, it will come off, but for now, it’s really frustrating and hard to justify the time I’m spending and $ for the gym/trainers-for weight days.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @tiffany80802017 Great job on the exercise! Are you using a food scale to weigh your food? It's really easy to wipe out your deficit if you are eyeballing or even using measuring cups. Also make sure that the entries you choose from the database are correct because they are user-created and can be wrong. Hang in there and let me know if I can help with anything!
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    @tiffany80802017 I agree with @greenolivetree concerning the necessity of a food scale. Attached is an image file which may or may not be helpful to you. It consists of several thoughts/ideas that have proven to be beneficial for me over the years. I'm sure you are probably familiar with much of what I have included in the attached. Sometimes it is just helpful to be reminded and to know that others share your journey.
  • Impala007
    Impala007 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    @tiffany80802017 ..... I will preface this with disclaimer that I am not a nutrionist nor a personal trainer, but my initial thoughts are your metabolism may have “ circled the wagons” so to speak. If you are truly hitting it hard with 2 hours of cardio and a 1300 calorie/day diet you are not getting enough to keep your metabolism functioning properly. It may have transitioned into survival mode. 2 hours of cardio can easily be 600 to 1000 calories...subtract that from 1300 and that is not enough to keep things functioning normally. Eat more or exercise less or a combo of both. You should probably be at least at 1300 calories or more net after exercise daily.
  • tiffany80802017
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @greenolivetree @impala007 @w8goal4life

Thanks so much for kind words and “hang in there”. Nice to hear, appreciate it :) Thanks also for the feedback and sharing your tips.

yep! Completely agree with weighing everything and for foods without labels I use nutrition.self.data - I’ve found that to be the best site for reliable info, and then I add new food in MFP per gram if needed. Works great for fruits/veg/beans etc.

I wouldn’t say I’m “hitting it hard” 2 hours a day... my AppleWatch shows average of 113 mins/day exercise. So its moderate enough to count as exercise on watch, but not vigorous (doesn’t count weights). The weekends it’s usually 3-4 hours (hiking), so that means some days are less than 2 hours. For example if I lift weights, generally I only do 45-60 mins of cardio.

Earlier this year I started and kind of quit for a while too, if I don’t get some exercise everyday I tend to spiral and revert to my bad choices, so it’s really important to me to stick to it as long as possible because I won’t have this much time or extra time in a few months.

I’m traveling much of the next 3 weeks, so it will give me a break from the scale. But I’ll still keep exercising and logging.

Thanks again and hopefully some lbs will come off eventually :D
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    You may be disqualified from winner's circle, but as soon as you can, you can jump back into the routine. Life is full of ups and downs and its important to make healthy choices in those, but sometimes the healthiest choice is to sleep. Good luck for the last week.
  • tiffany80802017
    Options
    @KCJen Congratulations!!! on the upcoming graduation! Sounds like your calendar is pretty full and you have a plan to get back to your routine in the near future. You got this!! Good luck with finals 😀
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    Once in a while, I just like to check in with y'all and see how everyone is doing together over here.
    Ciao for now!
    Rick
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    @tiffany80802017 I agree with @greenolivetree concerning the necessity of a food scale. Attached is an image file which may or may not be helpful to you. It consists of several thoughts/ideas that have proven to be beneficial for me over the years. I'm sure you are probably familiar with much of what I have included in the attached. Sometimes it is just helpful to be reminded and to know that others share your journey.

Thank you so much for this. It’s reminded me of the habits which helped me get where I want to be.
  • lexabeep
    lexabeep Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Oooo ouch not making it this month. I just ran out of the will and a way to keep track on my trip. Made healthy choices and stayed active but at some point it just became impossible.
    Next month! Will still be keeping track until the end of this month now and beyond.