The Daily Prophet --- Assignments and News

starjam25
starjam25 Posts: 4,674 Member
edited November 2019 in Social Groups
7d4lun728trs.jpg

This Daily Prophet is the Slytherin thread for posting assignments and news.

This is the place to post assignments. @bdbchick and @starjam25 will try and keep this up to date, but please, anyone can add the assignments here.

When the points spreadsheet gets updated, we will note here that it's UTD (Up To Date). If you seem to be missing points, let us know. How do you know if you were given credit? Check out the points spreadsheet here:

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tnUG-Ufo-eTAxZWRyNviYVKIFeZmHpZ-pOOQhsuOqM0/edit#gid=2016817545

Please note, if you "bookmark" this page, you'll get notified every time this is updated with assignments and news.

Replies

• bdbchick
    bdbchick Posts: 2,434 Member
    edited November 2019
    OPTIONAL: Unbreakable Vow
    YjL1bcP.gif

Unbreakable Vow
    "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."

In Godric's Hollow, Voldemort was first defeated by Harry Potter. It is in this place where students have the opportunity to create their own 4-week challenge to help improve themselves however they'd like.

For this term we will have the following schedule for the Unbreakable Vow challenge:
    • Post your vow until 11:59 pm ET on Wednesday, November 20th (middle of week 1).
    • Follow your vow through weeks 1-4 (from Monday, November 18th (or the day you posted your vow) through Sunday, December 15th).
    • Claim your points (see below) during week 5, until 11:59 pm ET on Sunday, December 22nd. The thread will be opened again during this week.

Note - You may NOT use a tardy pass to claim your points for your vow OR to post your vow given all of the extra time to post your vows and claim your points.

For this challenge, you will challenge yourself in a way that will improve your health. The challenge you pick should be a physical or food-related challenge.

Rules:
    • The challenge must be a Quidditch/Potions-style challenge - i.e. a physical/exercise challenge or a food-related challenge. We will give students a lot of freedom, but please make sure to pick something that is a decent challenge for you.
    • The challenge should be a SMART challenge - specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time-based. Therefore, "be more healthy" is NOT an appropriate challenge. However, "exercise for at least 15 minutes every day" is a SMART goal that you can achieve. As you will see from the examples below, it must also be clearly measurable - therefore do NOT use "most days" of the week - please be specific.
    • Because we also run a challenge to meet your calorie goal on a weekly basis (Arithmancy), you may NOT use that for your challenge goal.
    • Because the overall challenge is a weight-loss (or maintenance) challenge and we give you points for weigh-ins each week, please do NOT pick a challenge that is simply "lose x lbs."
    • Note: We STRONGLY recommend that you give yourself some leeway. It is often unrealistic to expect to complete something every single day, so please feel free to give yourself at least one day off when writing your challenge. For example, you could aim to get 1 hour of exercise every day, but for your official challenge you might use "I will exercise for 1 hour at least 5 days per week." Sometimes people get sick, have family emergencies, etc - so please give yourself a little wiggle room for those unexpected life events.
    • Once you have posted your challenge for this 4-week period, it may NOT be changed after 11:59 pm ET on Wednesday, November 20th.
    • Everybody who is in the castle by November 20th is welcome to make a Vow, students as well as ghosts. However, if you joined the castle group after November 20th, unfortunately you cannot take part in this optional challenge.

Examples for challenges:
    • I will exercise for 15 minutes at least 6 days per week (or even more specific - I will complete 10 minutes of stretching every day)
    • I will complete 30 minutes of exercise for 3 days each week
    • I will eat at least 3 servings of fruits/vegetables for 5 days each week
    • I will not eat fast food for at least 6 days of each week
    • I will drink 8 glasses of water every day
    • I will run at least 10 miles each week

If you are not sure if your challenge will be okay, please feel free to PM a staff member so we can confirm if it's appropriate.

When you post your vow, please include your house name in ALL CAPS!

Example:
    RAVENCLAW
    For my challenge, I will complete at least 15 minutes of strength training at least 3 days of each week.

You may earn 3, 7, or 15 points for completing this optional challenge.
    • 15 points for completing your vow 100% of the challenge.
    • 7 points for completing your vow 75% of the challenge.
      For example, if my challenge was to exercise 3 times per week and some weeks I only exercised twice, then I'd claim 7 points.
    • 3 points for attempting your vow but succeeding for less than 75% of the challenge time.
      To earn those 3 points, you must still post at the end of the challenge stating that you attempted the challenge but did not complete it.
    When you are claiming your points, make sure to quote your original vow and then state how many points you earned.

• bdbchick
    edited November 2019
    OPTIONAL: Alternative Assignment Pass Assignment [AAP]
    ********May be started Today, November 13th, 2019********

xln4stjmoamm.jpg
    Some assignments are just not fun! Although students only get some choice in their extra classes starting in their 3rd year, we are giving you the chance to earn a pass so you can substitute ONE of the challenges for an easier alternative!

For this challenge, you may earn a special Alternative Assignment Pass [AAP] that will let you switch out a challenge you do not like for one from a list of simple alternatives. You may only use it for ONE challenge - so you could use it for Potions, but you'd still need to complete Quidditch or DADA that week. Full details on the pass are below!

To earn this special AAP, please complete ALL of the following tasks:
    1. Post at least two holiday-related goals that you want to achieve during the challenge period! These goals should be specific and achievable.
      (E.g. "I want to have a less stressful time preparing for Christmas" is not specific enough, but "I want to take each weekend one hour for myself to relax, even if I have not finished my Christmas preparations" is specific and achievable.)
    2. Complete 10 minutes, 20 minutes, and 30 minutes of cardio, strength, and flex training - but you get to pick how you assign the minutes! So you could do 10 min flex, 20 min cardio, and 30 min strength OR 30 min flex, 10 min cardio, and 20 min strength, etc. Please let us know what you did!
      (E.g. I did 20 min flex, 30 min cardio, and 10 min strength).
    3. Complete ONE of the following food-related challenges and let us know which challenge you did:
      • Option 3A: Eat 3 servings of fruits and/or vegetables for 3 days during the challenge period.
      • Option 3B: Meet your chosen macro goal (such as meeting/exceeding your protein goal, or being under your fat/carb goal typically) or chosen micro goal (such as being below your sodium or sugar goal, meeting/exceeding your fiber goal, etc) for 3 days during the challenge period. When you post, please let us know which macro/micro goal you followed for the 3 days! (Ex: I met/exceed my protein goal for 3 days!)

You may work on this assignment from when this is posted until 11:59 PM (ET) on Sunday, November 24th.

This is an optional assignment and you will NOT earn house points - you will be getting the AA pass discussed below.

Please note: You may NOT use any exercise minutes from this challenge towards the first week's Classroom A's Quidditch assignment (e.g. walking 2 miles there cannot be part of your x minutes of cardio here)!
    orn_divider.png
    Alternate Assignment Pass
    • The AA Pass lets you substitute a task from a list of alternative tasks that you may use instead of the posted assignment for Quidditch, Potions, DADA, RoR, or Hogsmeade.
    • You must still complete the assignment by the original deadline. If Hogsmeade is due by 11:59 pm ET on Sunday, you must complete your alternative assignment by that date and post which alternative you did.
    • You do NOT need to PM your prefect when you use your pass - but you post in the thread (by the deadline!) that you used your AA Pass and which assignment you picked.
    • You must EARN this pass by completing this assignment.
    • You can only use it for ONE challenge for up to 4 points. Since Classroom A has 3 challenges in it (that are posted together for convenience), you can only use it for Quidditch, Potions, OR DADA. You may also use it for RoR or Hogsmeade challenges.

Alternative Assignments:
    • Quidditch (2 points) or Hogsmeade (2 points): Please travel 2 miles by walking, jogging, biking, elliptical, or swimming/rowing
    • Quidditch (4 points): Please travel 4 miles by walking, jogging, biking, elliptical, or swimming/rowing while wearing house colors
    • Potions (2 points): Please drink 8 glasses of water per day for 2 days this week, OR eat 3 servings of fruits and/or veggies for 2 days
    • Potions (4 points): Please drink 8 glasses of water per day for 5 days this week, OR eat 3 servings of fruits and/or veggies for 5 days
    • DADA (2 points): Please answer the following questions in 2 sentences - Who is your favorite character in the Harry Potter books/movies? Why?
    • DADA (2 points): Please answer the following questions in 2 sentences - What is your favorite Harry Potter book or movie? Why?
    • RoR (2 points): Please complete 15 minutes of a workout that you enjoy and let us know what you did!
    • Hogsmeade (2 points): Please complete 20 minutes of a cardio workout this weekend and let us know what you did!

So if during Week 2, we had a specific Quidditch Workout that you don't like and you have earned your AAP, you may simply post "Quidditch - Used AAP for 4 points (biked 4 miles while wearing house colors)" in the Classroom 2A thread (or you could use the 2 point assignment if you only wanted to do 2 miles). Although you must still complete the Potions and DADA assignment to earn the entire 10 classroom points for the week. Please feel free to PM a staff member or ask in the castle if you have questions!
    orn_divider.png

When complete with this assignment to earn your AAP, please post in this thread and remember when you post to include your house name in ALL CAPS.
  • bdbchick
    CLASSROOM 1A November 18th-November 24th
    4tAUOJM.gif

Classroom 1A - Week 1
    It's time to celebrate the holidays at Hogwarts!

Welcome to Hogwarts!

For our new students, Classroom A challenges are one of the required challenges as indicated by ϟ* in front of the challenge. Each week, you are expected to complete the basic options for Classroom A (ie earn at least 1 point in EACH subject - Quidditch, Potions, and DADA), as well as the weekly weigh-in which is posted on Friday and runs Friday through Sunday.

If you cannot complete one of the Quidditch (exercise/workout) or Potions (food) challenges in Classroom A due to medical/health reasons, please PM one of your prefects, one of the headgirls, or myself in the beginning of the week and we will pick an alternative assignment for you to complete so you may earn your points. We always will find a workable alternative for our required challenges.

For our 1st week, we typically have the same Quidditch (traveling 2 miles) and Potions assignments (drinking 8 glasses of water/day for x days) to help ease everyone into the challenge and these are often the default alternatives for medical reasons - although again, we will work with you to find a suitable alternative. (For example, if you cannot walk for a certain time, we can figure out an exercise you can complete such as an arm workout or stretching for a medical alternate). So if you need an alternative and have specific restrictions, please let us know :)

If you need an excused absence (ie you will not be able to complete the challenge since you will be gone, have a personal situation, etc) - you MUST PM YOUR PREFECT. Ideally you should PM prior to the absence, but for certain situations (ie personal emergency, no access to the internet, etc), we will allow excused absences after the challenge has ended. The key point is that you should communicate any issues with your prefect so you do not get expelled for missing too many challenges as discussed in the participation policy. In this case you do NOT get the points, but you will not be penalized for missing the assignment.

If you have any questions, please PM myself or another staff member so we can address any issues.

Note the deadline - it is 11:59 pm EASTERN TIME on Sunday. (Please google "current time et" if you are confused on eastern time compared to your own time zone).
    orn_divider.png

Quidditch
    Let's celebrate the holidays in style!

For this challenge, please travel 2 miles. You may also earn another point by traveling an additional 2 miles using a different method, as well as a bonus point for showing some holiday spirit and wearing the holiday clothes or holiday colors! (For example, perhaps you'll wear an "Ugly Christmas Sweater" or simply some red and green to celebrate Christmas, perhaps you'll complete a run in your Halloween costume, or you could wear pink and red in honor of Valentine's Day. Let us know what you did/wore!)

Scoring (possible 4 points):
    • 2 points - Travel 2 miles (you may walk, run, bike, swim, etc - but no brooms, side-along apparition, or muggle cars! We expect you to do most of the work to travel)
    • 1 bonus point - Travel an additional 2 miles (using a different method, as you'll never know what terrain or obstacles you'll be facing)
    • 1 bonus point - Wear holiday colors or a holiday-inspired outfit while completing at least 2 of the miles and let us know what you wore!
    Example:
    GRYFFINDOR

Complete for 4 points. I traveled 2 miles by walking and 2 miles by bike. I wore some Halloween-inspired clothes (orange and black socks and a hair band, plus a Nightmare Before Christmas t-shirt).

Important Information:
    • This task can earn you 4 points!
    • The exercises may be done at once, or split up across the allotted time.
    • All exercises pertaining to the challenge should be performed during the challenge period, so they can be counted.
    • Use modifications as appropriate (ie fast walking instead of jogging/running, etc) - if you are completely unable to perform parts of the challenge, please PM your prefect for an alternative assignment.
    orn_divider.png

Potions
    While you are busy getting ready for the holiday season, make sure to take some time to get a drink of water so you stay hydrated!

There are many health benefits to drinking water, such as helping your body function properly and preventing the fatigue that comes with dehydration. So for this challenge, you will earn 2 house points by drinking 8 glasses of water/day for at least 2 days. You may earn 1 extra point by completing the challenges for 4 days and/or 1 point by discussing your regular water intake.

• 2 points - Drink at least 8 glasses of water/day for 2 days
    • 1 bonus point - Drink at least 8 glasses of water/day for 4 days (instead of just 2 days)
    • 1 point - Please write 1-2 sentences reflecting on your typical water intake (Some possible questions to consider/answer - do you usually get enough water on a daily basis? If not, how can you improve it for the future? If you are good at staying hydrated, do you usually just drink plain water? Is there any particular way that you motivate yourself to stay hydrated? ) *Note: You must complete the basic 2 point challenge (8 glasses of water/day for 2 days) to earn this point*
    Example:
    GRYFFINDOR

Complete for 4 points

I drank 8 glasses of water for 4 days.
    I typically get at least 8 glasses of water per day. I can usually feel if I am dehydrated since it makes me more prone to headaches, which is one reason I'm motivated to stay hydrated.
    orn_divider.png

Defense Against the Dark Arts
    For our new students - Do NOT post answers in this thread - please PM the answers to your prefects and they will let you know if you are correct (or tell you to guess again). Once you have been told your answer is correct, please post in this thread that you got the correct answer. (Ex: SLYTHERIN, DADA correct for 2 points). You must answer ALL of the questions correctly to earn the 2 points total.
    1. Harry didn't expect to get Christmas presents his first year at Hogwarts. To his surprise he did! What were 2 of them? (There are 6 possible answers - to get credit, you only have to name TWO of them!)
    2. During Harry's second year, Harry attends Sir Nicholas de Mimsy Porpington's 500th Deathday Party. On what holiday did it take place?
    This will earn you 2 points.

Important Information:
    • This task can earn you 2 points!
    • You must answer all parts of all questions for a shot at any points.
    • PM your answers to one of your house Prefects.
    • Wait until you are told whether the answers are correct or incorrect. If incorrect, you may guess again.
    • If correct, you MUST POST "Correct" in this thread, being sure to include your house, IN ALL CAPS. If you do not post here, your points WILL NOT be counted by your Prefect. *Do not post the actual answers here.*
    • You must have PMed the correct answers to your Prefect BEFORE the deadline.
    • Sometimes Prefects are unable to respond before a challenge closes, meaning you will be unable to post in this thread. As long as you have PMed your answer to your Prefect within the correct timeframe--and your answer is correct--you will still earn the points for your house.
    • If the above process is not followed correctly, you may not receive your well-deserved points.

orn_divider.png

You may post as you complete each assignment or all at once at the end (please do NOT post points twice though - if you made an earlier post for DADA, do not post those points again in a future post).

You may work on these assignments from 12:01 AM (ET) on Monday, November 18th until 11:59 PM (ET) on Sunday, November 24th.
  • bdbchick
    *****For our new students please remember that week 1 is the only week you have until tuesday at 11:59pm EST to submit your starting weight. Other weeks your weight must be submitted on sunday by 11:59pm EST and you are able to use a tardy pass if you forget :) *****
  • bdbchick
    *****Also it's ok if you have to Google the DADA answers*****
  • bdbchick
    edited November 2019
    OPTIONAL: RoR Week 1

Room of Requirement
    Was that door always there?

As you as heading off to Potions class, you overhear some students talking about something called the Room of Requirement. The Room of Requirement will appear randomly during the week to offer a challenge to earn some additional house points. The challenges typically run for around 1-2 days and may be posted at any time during the week.

Unfortunately you end up lost in the huge castle, but then you suddenly notice the Room of Requirement appear!

For this challenge, we will focus on getting to know you and have you get to know your fellow students a bit. Please complete ALL of the following tasks FOR BOTH PARTS:
    Part I:
    1. Post in your Common Room!
    It can be in any of the Common Room threads (chat threads, introducing yourself, etc) The post must be made after this challenge was posted though, so you cannot count earlier posts. You can post whatever you'd like too as long as it is appropriate for the thread topic.
    2. Post in one of the optional fun threads in Hogwarts (Hagrid's Hut, Ancient Runes, Trophy Room, Care of Magical Creatures, Gobstones and/or the Greenhouse). Again - you can post whatever you'd like, but it should fit into the thread topic. It should also be after this challenge was posted.

Part II: As Harry finds out, having friends can make Hogwarts a much better experience!
    Friend someone else from another house in the challenge and, if they accept your request, please write something nice/supportive on their wall or comment on one of their posts.

- If the person you friend doesn't accept you before the deadline (which makes it so you can't write on their wall), you can write on a current friend's wall. The main thing is trying to reach out to a new student from a different house.
    - Note: Please feel free to friend any of the staff members too! The Entrance Hall can also be a good place to see people from other houses and perhaps find someone you have some things in common with :)

You can earn 2 house points for completing this optional challenge. You MUST COMPLETE ALL PARTS to earn the points.

Please remember to post your House in ALL CAPS in the beginning of your post.

Example:
    SLYTHERIN

Completed for 2 points

Part I - Complete! I posted in both my Common Room and a Hogwarts thread.
    Part II - I friended RonWeasley from Gryffindor and wrote something on his wall!

This optional challenge will run from 12:01 (ET) on Wednesday, November 20th until 11:59 PM (ET) on Thursday, November 21th.
  • starjam25
    Hogsmeade Weekend wk 1 [Nov 23 - Nov 24]

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10773313/hogsmeade-weekend-wk-1-nov-23-nov-24#latest

puttyputty wrote: »
    5r1HUwo.gif

Hogsmeade Weekend
    Although you hear that only 3rd years and above may visit the Hogsmeade village, you happen to know someone who lets you in on a little secret passage to check it out...

Surviving the holiday season requires both strength (being determined to stick with your fitness plan even though there are lots of obstacles around the holidays) and flexibility (being willing to adapt to those obstacles and relax your regular food restrictions to enjoy special once-a-year holiday foods).

For this optional challenge, please complete BOTH PARTS of the following challenge to earn 2 house points.
    1. Complete 15 minutes of strength training AND 15 minutes of flexibility training.
    (Note: You may not reuse these minutes for other challenges, like the Classroom challenge or the Alternative Assignment Pass!)
    2. Please share one of your favorite holiday memories, and think about what you could do to experience something similar again, to put you into a good mood and make new good memories for the future.
    (Please use at least 2 sentences, it may be any holiday from 4th of July, Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day, or perhaps another holiday that you celebrate! You don't have to actually relive your memories for this challenge, you just have to think about a way that could make it happen.)

Example:
    RAVENCLAW

Complete for 2 points

1. I completed 15 minutes of strength training and 15 minutes of flexibility.
    2. One of my favorite holiday memories was going to Lapland on a santa holiday with the kids, doing huskie dog rides and snow mobiling and visiting Santa. I loved all the activities/adventure... so in order to experience something similar we are planning an activity based holiday (for adults now as the kids are grown) next summer. We plan to make it to the top of Ben Nevis, go white water rafting and do some archery.

This optional challenge will run from ~ 12:01 (ET) on Saturday, November 23rd until 11:59 PM (ET) on on Sunday, November 24th.

• starjam25
    And of course, don't forget to submit your weight!!
    Maalea wrote: »
    KY5iv4Z.png

Hospital Wing

Make sure to drop by the Hospital Wing to submit your weekly weigh-in!

Please submit your weigh-in in the Google form given below! Weights will be taken in pounds and to the first decimal point. If your weight is in something other than pounds, please use an online converter to change it to pounds.

Link to Google form:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfLsamvPVFU14sE79cll8eccGnxYULIMIAyjWXM00zGrYxjbw/viewform

If you have issues with the form, feel free to PM @Maalea or your prefect your weight instead. :)

This thread will remain open if you'd like to note once you've submitted your weight or post it. However, to get credit for the weigh-in, please submit it to the Google Form! If you are having troubles with the Google Form, please PM your weight and house to one of your prefects or the head girls.

If you make an error when submitting your weight, please submit a second entry with "correction" next to your name. (i.e. If you first entered "fitphoenix" and "302.7" but realised you made a typo, then you would make a second entry and write "fitphoenix - correction" and "202.7".

If it's not clear that a correction has been made or if your weight is extremely different from the previous week, we will attempt to contact you. To save us time, PLEASE PM @Maalea or your prefect if your weigh-in is unusual. (Note: Make sure you're friends with staff members, or we won't receive your PMs.)

Please submit your weight by 11:59 pm EASTERN TIME (ET) on Sunday, November 24th.

• bdbchick
    WEEK 2A-- November 25th-December 1st
    3GXs1Gw.gif
    Classroom 2A - Week 2
    Dumbledore announces that Hogwarts will be celebrating an American No-Maj holiday known as Thanksgiving to help spread some holiday fun around in November.

Quidditch
    Although it is likely going to be a busy week, don't forget to take some time to workout a bit too!

For this challenge, please complete at least ONE of the below Thanksgiving-inspired workout options. You will earn 2 points for completing ONE of the workouts. You may also complete a different second workout for 2 more points for a total of 4 possible points. (So even if you completed ALL of the workouts for fun, you can still only get 4 points in total.) Note: You only need to complete ONE round (or go through the listed workout ONCE through) of each workout. (So even if it says 3 sets or "x2", you can just do one set unless you feel like doing more!)

Thanksgiving Workout Options:
    • 2 points - Complete ONE of the Thanksgiving-workout options. Please state which one you did!
    • 2 points - Complete ONE more (different than the first one you did) of the Thanksgiving-workout options. Please state which second workout you did!
    Example:
    RAVENCLAW
    Complete for 4 points. I did the Planksgiving workout once through and then the Turkey Day Calorie Blast workout for 2 more points.

Important Information:
    • All exercises pertaining to the challenge should be performed during the challenge period, so they can be counted.
    • Use modifications as appropriate (ie fast walking instead of jogging/running, etc) - if you are completely unable to perform parts of the challenge, please PM your prefect for an alternative assignment.
    orn_divider.png

Potions
    Although there is a feast this week, it's important to still eat in moderation...

For this week, we're going to have two separate challenges. You may earn up to 4 points TOTAL, so you can only complete one set of the challenges. The maintenance challenge is our classic holiday term challenge, but this year we will offer an alternative set of challenges for those who do not wish to maintain.

OPTION I: Maintenance Challenge:
    For this challenge, you need to calculate your maintenance calories using your current weight (and let us know which online calculator you used!) and write 1-2 sentences discussing your result for 2 points. (For example, you can discuss if you think your number matches what you'd expect, you can calculate your maintenance calories at your goal weight and compare the 2 numbers - ie how much you would eat now to stay the same weight vs what you will have to eat when you are at your goal weight, etc).

Then you should eat at maintenance calories (within 10% of your goal - above or below, but within 10% of your goal) for 3 days for 1 point OR for 6 days for 2 points.

Scoring (possible 4 points) - Maintenance Challenge
    • 2 points- Calculate your maintenance calories and let us know which calculator that you used! Then write 1-2 sentences discussing your results. [Note: You are not required to share your exact numbers if you do not want to share them, but you need to post the link to the calculator used to get your maintenance calories number]
    • 1 point - Eat at your maintenance calories (within 10% of your goal number) for 3 days OR
    • 2 points - Eat at your maintenance calories (within 10% of your goal number) for 6 days

OPTION II: Alternative Challenge: (You may complete one part (whichever option you'd like) of the challenge for 2 points or BOTH parts for 4 points total)

Alternative Challenge Part A - Meet one of your macro goals (carbs/fat/protein; typically eat less than your fat or carb goal or exceed your protein goal) for 3 days of this week for 2 points

Alternative Challenge Part B - Meet one of your micronutrient goals (such as staying under sodium or sugar or meeting/exceeding your fiber, calcium, etc) for 3 days this week - 2 points

Scoring (possible 4 points) - Alternative Challenge
    • 2 points - Meet one of your macro goals (carbs/fat/protein; typically eat less than your fat or carb goal or exceed your protein goal) for 3 days of this week
    • 2 points - Meet one of your micronutrient goals (such as staying under sodium or sugar or meeting/exceeding your fiber, calcium, etc) for 3 days of this week
    Example:
    RAVENCLAW

Complete for 4 points

I did the maintenance option. I calculated my maintenance calories using this website https://www.niddk.nih.gov/bwp It's nice because it shows my maintenance calories now and at my goal weight that I entered. I'm surprised by how high the maintenance number is, but clearly since I'm not losing weight lately I must be eating at that number too often so it's a good note.

I also ate at maintenance for 6 days this week for 2 points! It was not easy since I usually binge eat on 1-2 days of the week so that's how I get such a high average.

----

RAVENCLAW

Complete for 4 points

I did the alternative challenge and I completed both options for 2 points. (Although for fun, I did look at my maintenance calories which was interesting!)

I met/exceeded my protein goal for 3 days this week!
    I also stayed under my sugar goal for 3 days this week!
    orn_divider.png

For our new students - Do NOT post answers in this thread - please PM the answers to your prefects and they will let you know if you are correct (or tell you to guess again). Once you have been told your answer is correct, please post in this thread that you got the correct answer. (Ex: GRYFFINDOR, DADA correct for 2 points)

1) In their second year, Hermione finished brewing the Polyjuice Potion on Christmas Day. Ron and Harry successfully transformed into Crabbe and Goyle, but Hermione had accidentally collected a cat hair! Who was she supposed to transform into?
    2) Gilderoy Lockhart organized an over-the-top Valentine's Day celebration that annoyed most of his fellow professors and disgusted a number of the students. In addition to decorating the Great Hall garishly with pink flowers and heart-shaped confetti (and himself in startling pink robes!), Professor Lockhart suggested that Professor Flitwick and Professor Snape might help the students out with Valentine's Day themed charms and potions -- much to their dismay! What charm AND which potion did Professor Lockhart tactlessly suggest?

Important Information:
    • Wait until you are told whether the answers are correct or incorrect. If incorrect, you may guess again.
    • If correct, you MUST POST "Correct" in this thread, being sure to include your house, IN ALL CAPS. If you do not post here, your points WILL NOT be counted by your Prefect. *Do not post the actual answers here.*
    • Sometimes Prefects are unable to respond before a challenge closes, meaning you will be unable to post in this thread. As long as you have PMed your answer to your Prefect within the correct timeframe--and your answer is correct--you will still earn the points for your house.
    • If the above process is not followed correctly, you may not receive your well-deserved points.

orn_divider.png

You may post as you complete each assignment or all at once at the end (please do NOT post points twice though - if you made an earlier post for DADA, do not post those points again in a future post).

You may work on these assignments from 12:20 AM (ET) on Monday, November 25th until 11:59 PM (ET) on Sunday, December 1st.

• bdbchick
    Points are UTD pending Arthimancy
  • bdbchick
    All points from Week 1 have been tallied up.
  • rbratt06
    rbratt06 Posts: 2,892 Member
    @bdbchick Can you post the link for the points spreadsheet please?
  • bdbchick
    rbratt06 wrote: »
    @bdbchick Can you post the link for the points spreadsheet please?

Just posted the link in the very first post of this thread.
  • bdbchick
    S13WwOK.gif
    Classroom 3A - Week 3
    It's time to get back to work before you get too busy with the rest of the holiday season.

Quidditch
    With the busy holiday season about to start, it's important to make sure you plan some time for your workouts so you can stay healthy!

For this challenge, please plan 3 workouts this week AND follow them. You get 1 point for planning your workouts for the week (you do NOT need to post this in advance) and 2 points for successfully following your plan. Your total workout time must be 60 minutes, but it can be split up however you'd like. We will also allow you to do whatever you'd like for your workouts in the spirit of the holidays ;) So if you love running, you could plan to run for 15 minutes on Monday, 15 minutes on Wednesday, and 30 minutes on Saturday if you'd like. You may also earn one bonus point for discussing an optional question about how you fit in your workouts during the holidays.

• 3 points (1 point for planning + 2 points for successfully following your plan) -Plan 3 workouts this week (and successfully follow them) for a total of 60 minutes. You may use whatever workouts you'd like (cardio vs strength vs flex) and you can split them up however you'd like (ie 15 min - 30 min - 15 min OR 5 min - 10 min - 45 min OR whatever you'd like!) Please post what you did when you claim your points :)
    • 1 bonus point (must complete basic option) - In at least 2 sentences, please discuss how you usually manage to fit in your workouts during the holidays. Do you plan them out like this assignment? Do you just workout as you find time? Do you usually spend a lot of time working out during the holiday season? Do you do any specific workouts meant to fit in easier with the holiday season (ie maybe not going to the gym, but a long house cleaning/shoveling snow session?) The question is fairly open ended so as long as you discuss the main topic (exercise during the holiday season), you can discuss what you'd like.
    Example:
    RAVENCLAW
    Complete for 4 points. I planned (and successfully followed) my workouts this week. I planned to walk for 15 minutes on Tuesday, 15 minutes on Wednesday, and 30 minutes on Friday since I like walking.

For the bonus point, I usually try to keep up with my usual exercise routines although during the actual few days of the holiday itself I usually just try to fit in a workout whenever I can. If I am staying at my mom's house though, then I usually get maybe a bit of yoga but for the most part I do not have much room to exercise and I'm around family all the time, so I might just not workout during the time.

Important Information:
    orn_divider.png

Potions
    Once again, proper planning is very helpful to staying on track!

For this challenge, we'd like you to plan out some of your meals and/or days to earn points. You do not have to pre-log in your diary, although you should have your specific plan at least the morning before you start eating that day. You should follow your plan within reason. If you had planned to eat yogurt and had a different flavor, that is a reasonable change. If you planned to eat yogurt and instead had an apple, then you would have NOT successfully followed your plan.

Scoring (possible 4 points): You may pick the 2 point OR 4 point option
    • 2 point option (1 point for planning + 1 point for successfully following your plan) - Plan AND successfully follow your plan for at least 3 MEALS this week (ie you could plan out 3 meals for one entire day - breakfast, lunch, and dinner) or you could plan out breakfast for 3 days this week.
    • 4 points (1 point for planning + 3 points for following your plan) - Plan AND successfully follow your plan for at least 3 DAYS this week (so essentially you should have a specific plan and follow it within reason for ALL YOUR MEALS FOR 3 DAYS this week). The days do NOT need to be consecutive.
    Example:
    SLYTHERIN

Complete for 4 points

I planned my meals for Tuesday, Saturday, and Sunday and successfully followed my plan!
    orn_divider.png

For our new students - Do NOT post answers in this thread - please PM the answers to your prefects and they will let you know if you are correct (or tell you to guess again). Once you have been told your answer is correct, please post in this thread that you got the correct answer. (Ex: GRYFFINDOR, DADA correct for 2 points)

1) In his third year, Harry Potter received a Firebolt anonymously. Later, Harry finds out who sent him the generous gift. Who sent the Firebolt?
    2) In Harry's fourth year, Hogwarts hosted the Triwizard Tournament and had a special Yule Ball at Christmas. Who did Harry, Ron, and Hermione go to the Yule Ball with?

Important Information:

orn_divider.png

You may work on these assignments from 12:01 AM (ET) on Monday, December 2nd until 11:59 PM (ET) on Sunday, December 8th.
  • bdbchick
    Points are all UTD! Please let me know if I missed anything.
  • starjam25
    Special Event: Holidays at Hogwarts [Dec 5th - Dec 11th]

Maalea wrote: »
    Get ready for the Special Event of this term! Holidays at Hogwarts will start tomorrow shortly after midnight ET, and will last for a week, until Wednesday Dec 11th (or shorter, if you and your house mates finish all the tasks earlier).

Please read carefully through the rule listed below (they are a bit different than in previous events)!
    The list of tasks, the house spreadsheets and the official house threads will be provided when the event starts.

bupxchj19i5f.jpg
    Holidays at Hogwarts - List Event
    "Christmas was coming. One morning in mid-December, Hogwarts woke to find itself covered in several feet of snow. The lake froze solid and the Weasley twins were punished for bewitching several snowballs so that they followed Quirrell around, bouncing off the back of his turban. The few owls that managed to battle their way through the stormy sky to deliver mail had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they could fly off again."

Christmas is coming, and there are still lots of things to organize and take care of, before you can enjoy the holidays. In order to provide a truly unforgettable Christmas, the Hogwarts staff will need your help...

For our special event this term, we will have a list of tasks that are somehow related to the holidays (especially christmas). You will work together with your house to complete these tasks. This is NOT a race and all houses could get the maximum amount of points if all houses finish their lists.

We also have a spreadsheet for each house that everyone must use to claim and let us know that you have completed a task. You will be editing the first tab (Task List) - the second one will automatically update :)

Spreadsheets: (tba)
    • Gryffindor
    • Hufflepuff
    • Ravenclaw
    • Slytherin

Note: If there is a problem with the spreadsheets, please post in this thread and/or PM @Maalea so we can fix them as soon as possible.

Important Information
    • You will complete the list of tasks with your house.
    • Each house will also have an official thread to post things required for tasks - there will be titled "[Holiday at Hogwarts] House name"
    • To officially claim your points, you need to mark that you completed your task on your official house spreadsheet. If your challenge requires a written answer, picture, or anything else, you must post that in your house thread ([Holiday at Hogwarts] House name). If you post in your common room instead and not in your HOUSE THREAD at the Hogwarts castle, you will not earn the points.
    • Those tasks do not need to be completed in any sort of order.
    • Each student may complete a total of 12 tasks maximum.
    • There are several categories (themes) of challenges, each with a different number of tasks. There is no upper limit of tasks one student may complete within a category (besides the general upper limit of 12 tasks for each student), but in each category the tasks have to be completed by at least three different students. Otherwise the points for this category's tasks do not count.
    • Multiple tasks can be worked on at once, but each task can only be completed once. The task will be considered completed by whichever student posts first (if more than one student complete a task and posted). A student may NOT "take back" a previous post - if they posted that they completed it, they may not "cancel" that task and do a different task after it has been posted as complete.
    • Each task has a point value attached. Therefore, we will add up the points of the tasks completed to determine the standings.
    • The goal is not to complete the entire list first, but to collect the most points by the deadline.
    • As always, the tasks do not need to be completed all at once. You can spread a task out over a span of time, but please only post when you've completed it.
    • You'll see reference to "stacking." What that means is that no tasks can "build" on each other. Suppose you finish the "stay under calories for 1 day" and post it as finished. The next day that you stay under your calories, you cannot claim the "stay under calories for 2 days," as you already received credit for the first day. Same with the miles tasks "walk 1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles, etc.," and all similar tasks. This is why strategy is important.
    • House points will be rewarded based on team standings (see below).
    • You will have until 11:59 PM (ET) on Wednesday, December 11th to post completed tasks in your thread and post that you completed your tasks in your team spreadsheet.

Task Limits:
    • In order to allow all students to get a chance to complete some tasks (especially tasks that they'd like to complete), there will be specific limits on how many tasks you may claim at certain parts in the challenge.
    • If you claim more tasks than allowed at any time (ie we notice a student has claimed more than 2 tasks on Day 1, 7 tasks on Day 3, etc), then we will delete ALL the tasks that you claimed and you will have to re-start - meaning you will need to re-claim and re-start your tasks after you re-claim the appropriate amount. Staff members will try to give a student a warning first (ie they will warn you that you have claimed more than the allowed and you have one hour to get rid of a task or some tasks so you are not over the limit).
    • You MUST claim your task on the official spreadsheet BEFORE you start the task to avoid students from competing over the same task. Therefore, you shouldn't wait until Monday to claim a task that will take 4 days when the challenge ends on Wednesday. You should also make sure your team will have the longer tasks planned out for people to complete them - ie one task is 4 days, so you should get someone to claim it very soon.
    • Reminder: Each student may complete a total of 12 tasks max, and in each category at least three different students have to take part.
    • Day 1 (Thursday, December 5th) - Students may claim up to 2 task each.
    • Day 2 (Friday, December 6th) - Students may claim up to 2 more tasks each (for a total for 4 tasks). (Therefore, if you haven't claimed any tasks, you could claim 4 tasks. Or if you claimed 1 task on Day 1, then you may only claim 3 more tasks on Day 2.)
    • Day 3 (Saturday, December 7th) - Students may claim up to 2 more tasks for a total of 6 tasks at this point. (So if you haven't claimed any tasks, you could claim 6 tasks).
    • Day 4 (Sunday, December 8th) and on - All students may claim up to the max of 12 tasks. So if you have already claimed up to 6 tasks, you may now claim up to 6 more tasks for your total of 12 tasks.
    • If a student claimed a task but has taken more than 24 hours than expected to complete it (there is a cell in the spreadsheet where one can enter when one expects to finish the task), you may PM the student and/or post in your Common Room and ask to complete the task. Give the student 24 hours to respond (48 hours if within the first 4 days of the challenge) - if they do not respond, you may take over the task.
    • Within the last 24-48 hours of the challenge, you may send a PM or post in your Common Room, etc. However, if you do not hear back within a reasonable amount of time (ie at least a few hours), then go ahead and claim their task.
    • The idea behind these last 2 rules is to prevent a student from claiming a task and then going inactive for whatever reason (perhaps a valid medical/family reason), and hurting the team as a result - please do not try to take tasks from your teammates otherwise. It's just meant to be a backup in case you can't get in touch with a team member who seems to have gone inactive so you can get the tasks done still.

• Participating members of each house may earn up to 10 points. You will earn 2 points per task completed with a max of 10 points even if you complete more challenges.
    • Therefore, if you complete 5 tasks, you will earn the max of 10 points. If you complete the maximum 12 tasks, then you will still earn 10 points total.
    • The overall 1st place house will earn 60 points, the 2nd place house will earn 40 points, and the 3rd place house will earn 20 points, the 4th placed house will get 10 points.
    • Note that a house can get much more points from individual participation than from getting 1st place. Therefore you should strategize with your house mates to find the best allocation of tasks, instead of jumping in an claiming everything possible for yourself. ;)

Note: Unless otherwise stated, all exercises may be split up however you'd like to complete it. (Ie 10 minutes of planking could be done as 1 minute planks spread out over several days; 8 miles could be split up into 1 mile sessions, etc).
    orn_divider.png

Categories and task list:

tba

• bdbchick
    *****There will be no RoR or Hogsmeade this week due to the list event :)*****
  • bdbchick
    hhchristmas.gif

Classroom 4A - Week 4
    As Christmas gets closer and closer, you are even more excited for the holidays But first you need to get done with this week, then Finals next week ;), then some time off to celebrate Christmas!

Quidditch

There's often a lot going on in the holidays! Because the time of year can be so busy, we're giving you some options this week. Complete ONE of the following:
    • Option 1) Inspired by Harry's long journey searching for Horcruxes, we want you to complete some miles to represent Harry's journey. Earn 4 points by completing 7 miles this week. You may complete the miles by walking, jogging/running, biking, via elliptical, rowing, or swimming. The miles may be completed all at once or spread out this week however you'd like. The miles must be separate from any you complete for the Holiday at Hogwarts Challenge.

OR
    • Option 2) Many people associate the holidays with particular sports or outdoor activities. For this challenge, earn 4 points by completing 45 minutes of a fitness activity related to a holiday memory. For example, if your family always watches a football game together during the holidays, you could play touch football with some friends or run some football drills alone. If you associate the holidays with sledding, you could do some hill sprints, a weighted sled workout, or actually go sledding! Let us know what you did. This time must be separate from any you complete for the Holiday at Hogwarts Challenge.

• 4 points for completing option 1 (7 miles via walking, jogging/running, biking, elliptical, rowing, or swimming)
      OR
    • 4 points for completing option 2 (45 minutes of a fitness activity related to a holiday memory)
    Example:
    RAVENCLAW

Quidditch - Complete for 4 points. I chose option 1 and biked 7 miles!

Important Information:
    • Use modifications as appropriate (i.e. fast walking instead of jogging/running, etc) - if you are completely unable to perform parts of the challenge, please PM your prefect for an alternative assignment.
    orn_divider.png

Potions

For this week's challenge, we're going to look at eating over the holidays. Please create and eat a healthy version of a holiday meal (i.e. what you might eat at Christmas, what might you eat instead to make it healthier or less calories) for 3 points. For 1 point, please discuss how you will follow your healthy eating habits/goals over the Christmas holidays using at least 2 sentences.

Scoring (possible 4 points)
    • 3 points- Create and eat a healthy version of a holiday meal (i.e. what you might eat at Christmas, what might you eat instead to make it healthier or less calories)
    • Please discuss how you will follow your healthy eating habits/goals over the Christmas holidays using at least 2 sentences.

Example:
    RAVENCLAW

Potions - Complete for 4 points.
    We usually have ham with tons of sides and treats after for Christmas. So for a practice Christmas meal, I decided to have some steak (since I did not want to cook a full ham but wanted to represent the meat part of the meal) but I only had vegetables for sides (to reduce calories and also have a healthier element to the meal) and I only had one cookie for dessert instead of trying all of the various holiday cookies.

For keeping on track, I'm planning on tracking my calories (hopefully doing better than I have been recently) and avoiding any fast food. I think that I'll give myself the actual holiday off (i.e. I will not focus too much on the calories), but to prepare for that I will make sure to leave some extra calories in the days leading up to Christmas so I do not have to feel bad about eating a bit extra on Christmas itself. Most importantly, I will try to only take Christmas off instead of letting myself go crazy over the entire holiday season so that should keep me on track.
    orn_divider.png

For our new students - Do NOT post answers in this thread - please PM the answers to your prefects and they will let you know if you are correct (or tell you to guess again). Once you have been told your answer is correct, please post in this thread that you got the correct answer. (Ex: SLYTHERIN, DADA correct for 2 points). You must answer ALL of the questions correctly to earn the 2 points total.

1. On Harry's 17th birthday, Harry ends up receiving several lovely birthday gifts. The Minister for Magic also ends up arriving to give Harry (as well as Ron and Hermione) gifts from Albus Dumbledore's Will. What TWO gifts were left to Harry? (Hint: The Minister refuses to give Harry one of the gifts, saying that it was not Dumbledore's possession to give.)
    2. During Harry's seventh year (although he does not return to Hogwarts), which magical place does Harry end up visiting on Christmas Eve with Hermione? Hint: Harry's parents (and Dumbledore's family) are buried in a graveyard in this location.

Important Information:

orn_divider.png

You may work on these assignments from 12:01 AM (ET) on Monday, December 9th until 11:59 PM (ET) on Sunday, December 15th.
  • bdbchick
    ***Everything is UTD***
  • bdbchick
    qDp93p7.gif

Term 27 Finals
    Good morning, students! It's the end of term, so that means it is time for your final exams :) We encourage everyone to participate in finals since it will be a good chance to show off what you learned while gaining your house quite a few points. If you plan to join Term 28, you must participate in at least one task for finals!
    We have also heard a rumor that the Room of Requirement will not appear during finals, but we may have a final Hogsmeade trip this weekend...

Your final exam this term will consist of a variety of challenges, which are all listed below. You will have until 11:59 PM (ET) on Sunday, December 22nd to complete as many challenges as you possibly can. As always, please modify the exercises as appropriate based on your fitness (or PM your prefect for an alternative if a specific task is impossible for you).

For each option that you complete, you will receive the listed amount of house points. If you complete ALL the challenges (19 points), then you will also receive 5 bonus points. Therefore, if you complete all of the tasks, you can earn 24 points total with the 5 point bonus!

Quidditch Challenges - 2 or 3 points each (These must be completed separately - minutes and reps for one do NOT count for another within Finals!)
    1. [2 points] Travel 4 miles (using whichever method you'd like - walking, jogging/running, biking, etc - obviously no brooms or muggle cars are allowed; you can split up the miles however you'd like)
    2. [3 points] Complete at least 4 days from this Darebee Fit for Christmas program at level 1 (if there are levels stated) and let us know which days you did! - https://darebee.com/programs/fit-christmas.html
    3. [2 points] Please complete 30 minutes of a winter-inspired workout. It could be going skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, or something inspired by those activities. If you can't get outside, feel free to do something like a Christmas/winter-inspired workout like this Jingle Bell Rock Workout.
    4. [2 points] While listening to Christmas music or watching a Christmas-inspired movie (which could include any of the Harry Potter movies ;) or a more traditional Christmas movie), please complete 30 minutes of any exercise you'd like during this week. Please let us know what you listened to or watched and what type of exercise that you did!

Potions Challenges - 2-3 points each (These may overlap, so a food used for one challenge may work for others. None of them must be done on consecutive days, but they can if you wish.)
    5. [2 points] Mini Arithmancy Final - Stay under or meet your calorie goal for 4 days.
    6. [3 points] Please pick your own Potions challenge AND successfully follow it for at least 4 days this week. (It may NOT be staying under/meeting your calorie goal since that is a challenge for Task #5). It could be meeting/exceeding your protein goal for 4 days, no added sugar for 4 days, or something else that you will find to be a challenge. Please let us know what you did for your challenge and if you successfully followed it.

Defense Against the Dark Arts - Written Challenges - 3 points total for both parts:
    7a. Reflect and post about 3 positive things that happened to you this year :)
    7b. Please make 3 goals for next year (2020) that you hope to achieve! At least one goal should be fitness/health related, but you can use whatever you'd like for the other 2 goals! The goals should be specific, measurable and achievable (e.g. "I want to lose weight" is too vague, "I want to lose 20 lbs by summer" is okay).

DADA Questions - 2 points total for ALL questions (so you must answer all 3 of the questions for the 2 points):
    Remember - PM the answers to the following questions to your prefect and then, once you get the correct answer, you may post that you got the correct answer in the thread.
    8a. In Harry's 6th year, he spends Christmas at the Weasleys. Which person visits the Burrow to have a chat with Harry about how things are going? (Hint: The person says "Dumbledore's man through and through, aren't you, Potter?" to which Harry agrees).
    8b. In Harry's 7th year, Harry and Hermione spent Christmas eve in Godric's Hollow and visit the graveyard where both Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore's families are buried. What quote is written on James and Lily's grave?
    8c. What quote is written on Kendra and Ariana Dumbledore's grave?

You may work on these assignments from 12:01 AM (ET) on Monday, December 16th until 11:59 PM (ET) on Sunday, December 22nd.

Please note:
    Since it is the last week of the challenge, you cannot use a tardy pass after Sunday, Dec 22nd. So please post here by the deadline to make your points count.

Please note:
    If you plan to join Term 28, you must participate in at least one task for finals, or have been granted an excused absence from your prefect by mid week (and not on Sunday a few minutes before the deadline)! Otherwise you will be put on the very bottom of the waitlist for the next term.