Leslie Sansone January 2020 Walk Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
WELCOME to all walkers!

It is New Year’s Eve 2019! That means tomorrow is the beginning of a new decade, a new year, as well as a new month for our monthly Walk Challenge πŸ˜²πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜…πŸ’ͺπŸ˜€! So lets make January 2020's Walk Challenge an extraordinarily awesome month because there are so many possibilities for the brand new start of a healthy year ahead for us all!

This group is open to any and all walkers. Many of us use Leslie Sansone as well as other favorite instructor's walking or workout DVDs, as well as those great walks or hikes outside on the trails or pathways that are available to us, or a walk in our neighborhood, or on the treadmill. All of these many options count toward our miles, steps, or minutes.

However you get your walk in, come on in and join us! Whenever you are posting what you have accomplished please remember to also share any strength training or other types of workouts that you are doing. We all benefit greatly by learning from one another and getting new ideas.

The goal that you choose is your own personal goal for this month πŸ‘ŸπŸ“….

If you find this group in the middle of the month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you hope to accomplish during the remaining days of this month. It is never too late to join in :) , you are always welcome!

Let's tie up our shoes and get some water, and start walking strong and determined this month.

Walk Happy 😁,

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
Β«134

Replies

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Happy 2020, everyone!

Goal for January:
    3 Strength workouts a week. After each strength workout, I'll do one mile. Alternate days I'll do 2 miles. 2 rest days. I'm learning the importance of rest days. ;)

I might be going out of town for a few days later in the month, not firm on that yet... but will do my best to stay on track this month.

Walk Strong!
  • Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

January's goal is coming right from my Apple Watch challenge, 80.8 miles this month.
    Plus I'm finally going to make it to the gym to try a few spin classes too.

Work wise, we're talk the rest of the week to step back and review 2019 and catch up. 2019 ended being super busy, almost too busy at the end. Which means 2020 is starting strong.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    Goal: 3 Strength workouts a week. After each strength workout, I'll do one mile. Alternate days I'll do 2 miles. 2 rest days.

1/1....2 miles of Burn To the Beat.
  • lbheart2
    lbheart2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My goal is to do 10,000 steps a day and use exercise band in the year 2020.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I have just come back to Leslie as I have a stone to re lose and the weather outside is not conducive to walks at present. I have done the 30 minutes boosted both days so far and Leslie says somewhere it is 5 miles, However my Fitbit does not record anything like as much as that though apparently I am In Sport mode some of the time. How can I work out the calorie burn does anyone have any ideas please?
    Also got my sister in South Africa doing Leslie as well at last!

As for a goal I plan to do a Leslie workout 3 or 4 times week as she suggests!
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! My goal is threefold. (1) I have the Walk at Home App and plan on doing every workout posted for the month of January. (2) I joined Run the Year 2020, which means that to meet the goal of walking 2,020 miles this year, I have to walk 5.5 miles a day. (3) Go to the gym at least 5 times a week. I'm pulling out all the stops; I know I can do this because I've done it before.

In fact, for New Year's day (yesterday), my boyfriend and I walked in the Black Eyed Pea race in Austin, TX plus more walking afterwards. By the time I went to bed last night, I had walked over 9 miles for the entire day. I feel good today.

Slow and steady wins the race. Best wishes to everyone on your journey.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    @ibheart2 - Glad you joined the challenge. You can do this.

@sussexbythesea - Glad you joined us. That's a good question about the 5 Boosted Miles. I have that DVD. I don't find anything on the cover about 30 minutes equaling 5 miles - but - I admit I haven't listened to the intro where she talks about how to boost. Is she saying that you could do 30 minutes boosting every move and that would equate to 5 miles? I believe you could get a massive burn doing that but I don't believe it would show up on a FitBit (I have one too) as 5 miles walked.

Have you input the minutes in the MFP Exercise category Aerobics General? I know years ago, MFP did an interview with Leslie and she said she considered her workouts to be Aerobics General. But, I think that was before 5 Boosted Miles came out. I think it would qualify as Aerobics High Impact if you boost everything and that should give you a more realistic calorie burn number. It could also be considered and Interval workout too if you boost only when she is boosting. That would be worth checking to see the calorie burn too.

The most accurate device regarding calories burned is going to be a heart rate monitor that you strap around your chest. FitBit's are really great at measuring steps but some moves are not going to meet that criteria. Frustrating not being able to get a concise figure, but I think it's way better to have some form of measurement even if it isn't perfect. I still find it motivating and still love my FitBit Alta and my trusty old Zip.

I hope this helped some. Glad you brought your Sister into the Leslie fold too. :) Walk Strong!
  • AnnofB
    Options
    @evangsimmons170 - Welcome Back! You are super charged, aren't you? A fantastic start to 2020.
  • wtbarunner
    wtbarunner Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!!! I would like to do this challenge. And for the month of January I am going to aim for 2 miles a day!!!
  • AnnofB
    Options
    Hi wtbarunner! Glad you are joining us. :)
  • AnnofB
    Options
    Goal for January:
    3 Strength workouts a week. After each strength workout, I'll do one mile. Alternate days I'll do 2 miles. 2 rest days. I'm learning the importance of rest days.

1/1....2 miles of Burn To the Beat
    1/2....28 minutes of Strength & Stamina, 19 minutes doing 1 Miracle Mile

• JoyStoltenburg
    JoyStoltenburg Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Still trying to figure out my goals for this month. Will walk at least 2 miles a day and try to get at least 1 mile of a Leslie workout in 4 times a week.

1/1 Rest Day
    1/2 2 miles
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    Still trying to figure out my goals for this month. Will walk at least 2 miles a day and try to get at least 1 mile of a Leslie workout in 4 times a week.

1/1 Rest Day
    1/2 2.06 total miles
    1/3 2.68 miles
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends! I'm late as usual! :smirk:

I'm setting up for 160 miles this month + strength training on a daily basis - at least 15 minutes. I challenge myself to use heavier weights when I can, to put them down when I need to, but to keep going.

Jan 1: 5 Fat Burning Miles + 30 min strength HASfit glutes w/weights
    Jan 2: 4 Miles ~ 2 Miles the Big Burn + 2 Miles Woman's Walk + 15 min TAM precision arm strength training
    Jan 3: 6 Miles ~ 4 Mile Super Challenge + 2 Mile WATP High Calorie Burn + 30 min strength HASfit glutes w/weights

15 of 160 miles
  • AnnofB
    Options
    Goal for January:
    3 Strength workouts a week. After each strength workout, I'll do one mile. Alternate days I'll do 2 miles. 2 rest days. I'm learning the importance of rest days.

1/3....rest day
    1/4....25 minutes of Yoga Strong and 1 mile of 3 Fast & Fun Miles
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    AnnofB wrote: Β»
    @evangsimmons170 - Welcome Back! You are super charged, aren't you? A fantastic start to 2020.

Hey @AnnofB. Thanks for the welcome. I've been out of town since Thursday afternoon but I'm back now. I'll be getting in some exercise before I go to bed tonight.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    Goal for January:

1/3....rest day
    1/5....2 miles of Burn Fat & Have Fun by Jessica Smith
  • AnnofB
    Options
    Goal for January:

1/3....rest day
    1/5....2 miles of Burn Fat & Have Fun by Jessica Smith
    1/6....42 minutes of Cathe Freidrich's Lite weights, lot's of reps and 1 mile of the Miracle Miles
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options

1/1 Rest Day
    1/2 2.06 total miles
    1/3 2.72 total miles
    1/4 2.25 total miles
    1/5 1.93 total miles
    1/6 2 miles
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone-I am back in the USA and none too soon!!! I have caught a "kid cold," which those of you who have children know is INTENSE!!!! My goodness I had forgotten how much crap I could cough up or blow out!!!! Thank goodness I work with college students! Bless you elementary school teachers!!! :+1:

I am changing things up and setting a yearly goal this year as it is going to be a huge transition year for me. My goal is to exceed 2019's mileage and do a purely strength workout once per week. To accomplish this, I need to get in 110+miles each month, so that will be my goal each month. We'll see how it goes!

January Goal: 110+miles & 4 strength workouts.

1/1-Vivotfit tracked 2.4 miles=2.4 miles total
    1/2-Vivotfit tracked 1.7 miles=4.1 miles total
    1/3-Vivotfit tracked 2.5 miles=6.6 miles total
    1/4-Vivotfit tracked 2.6 miles=9.2 miles total
    1/5-Vivotfit tracked 2.3 miles=11.5 miles total
    1/6-Vivotfit tracked 2.5 miles=14.0 miles total
    1/7-American Heart Association Walk-3 miles=17.0 miles total

I realize this is very paltry mileage and a long way from 110 miles, but it is hard to gain mileage when breathing is an issue and you cannot be 2 inches from a tissue box!!! :laugh: I actually did a Leslie workout today so recovery is imminent ... I think ...I hope...I am counting on... but "kid colds" come back I have learned!!!! :grumble:

@texasgardnr- Oh Mary, I do hope everything is OK. MDs seem to spend more time than they used to being "perplexed" as I had the same issue 2 years ago remember? Every joint was inflamed, I had hives everywhere and the Rheumatologist was "perplexed." Hopefully, your MD remains perplexed and you remain fine! :heart: I hope your ankle is on the mend as well! We Leslie people need our feet and ankles in good working order!!!! :wink:

@AnnofB- Oh my gosh, it was the busiest holiday ever, but so much fun!!! My granddaughter is 6 going on 13 and is a total riot! Whenever she cannot get her way, she rolls her eyes and says, "Maaaaaom-come on!" It is so hard not to laugh! My grandson is 9 months and a total teddy bear, but he is on the move now. Between the two of them, we were busy everyday until we caught the "kid colds." That did us in! :laugh:

Welcome to all the new walkers!!!!

@sussexbythesea: I agree with @AnnofB. There is no way 30 minutes of any Leslie walk is 5 miles as the fastest she gets to is a 10 minute mile and that would only be 3 miles in 30 minutes. I use "Aerobic General" on MFP and it is pretty accurate based on the times I have used my heart rate monitor. My Garmin always registers less than Leslie's stated miles also, but that is because my stride is different and Garmin cares about that for mileage. If your Fitbit is also set to your stride, your mileage will always be different. I use Leslie's stated mileage and then at the end of the day, just deduct it from whatever my Garmin mileage is. It all comes out in the wash anyway. Hope this helps.

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile: