My impressions so far of Apple Watch Vs Fitbit

Options
SummerSkier
SummerSkier Posts: 4,796 Member
This group seems very quiet so I thought I would start a discussion. I have used the Fitbit HR pretty continuously since mid 2017 but the news they were bought out by Google and also the fact I am pretty much an Apple gadget gal let me to procure my first Apple Watch at the end of Dec. I have had it a little over a week now.

First of all I absolutely LOVE the watch. And the function to ping your phone? priceless. LOL. But I have to say that as a weightloss or fitness tool, so far I think the fitbit is superior because it monitors your heart rate in real time vs the watch which seems to take sporadic readings even when you have the workout setting on. This may just be that it is taking some time to "learn" me as over the past week the effort readings between my fitbit and watch on my runs have been a LOT closer. (yes I am a geek so currently still using both). Fitbit also seems to monitor sleep where as the watch does not.

Fitbit seems to overstate my calorie burn and Apple watch seems to understate it. Interesting.

Anyway there are so many features on the watch I am still learning......

Replies

• SummerSkier
    Options
    Oh. Adore being able to leave my phone home while working out too!!! 😍😍👍👍
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch will take a heart rate reading every 10 minutes when not running an exercise. However the Apple Watch will track your heart rate continuously during an exercise when you start one via the Activity app on the Apple Watch.

Apple recommends a 20min outdoor walk to help calibrate the watch, may help accelerate your watch learning you.

Sleep tracking can be done on the Apple Watch with an app such as Pillow, however you will need to find time to charge your watch before wearing it to bed.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    thanks Spencer! Yeah I still see quite a variance between the heart rates but I do think that Apple Watch matches my TDEE pretty exactly (resting and active combined) which is interesting as fitbit definitely overstates how much it thinks my TDEE is.
  • kimcwinsor
    kimcwinsor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy using my apple watch with MFP and doing challenges to keep myself going. If anyone is interested in being Apple Watch friends, private message me. My personal goal is to close my rings at least once daily, normally accomplished by a gym visit or good walk outside weather permitting. 45 pounds down and about that much to go.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far Kim. :) I am not much into challenges but each of us has to find out own motivations. Right now I find it interesting that the heart rate on my fitbit vs the heart rate on my apple watch are so different. I mean by sometimes as much as 20 points on a run. But who knows. They take the heart rate with different algorhythms I think. Since fitbit over estimates my daily requirements and Apple seems spot on I tend to think perhaps the Apple is more correct?
  • kimcwinsor
    kimcwinsor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It seems pretty close to what the treadmill tells me I burn and heart rate wise too so I think you are right.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Ok - so today I was walking around the house and tripped over a box. and fell. My watch alerted! How cool is that. I was ok so I told it no you don't need to call 911 thank you. But I was very impressed that just a simple stumble and fall triggered the emergency ap. Wow. I just keep getting more and more impressed with this gadget. ;)
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    ps - I can't believe there are over 500 members in this group and only maybe 3 people active including me. hahahaha.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hi everyone, was just gifted a series 3 watch by a friend who upgraded to a series 5. I've closed all my circles since my first day (Tuesday) and today my battery died 1/2 way through the day. Is there a way to add steps to your watch? Not sure why it bugs me to have lost so many steps but it does. B)
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Hi everyone, was just gifted a series 3 watch by a friend who upgraded to a series 5. I've closed all my circles since my first day (Tuesday) and today my battery died 1/2 way through the day. Is there a way to add steps to your watch? Not sure why it bugs me to have lost so many steps but it does. B)

Hi Bonnie, I honestly am not sure. Are you using a step counter like pacer or something like that. One way might be to manually add an exercise somewhere else which shows the steps and cals. I think with my fitbit you could do that on the website. Maybe you can on your phone for your watch too?
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @SummerSkier. I'll try that. Appreciate your response!
  • JannaD2
    JannaD2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am on Day One of my new Apple Watch series 3 after using Fitbit for many years beginning with the Fitbit ONE. I got a Versa 2 for Christmas but had so many syncing problems that I returned it and got an AW because of the good deal on the Series 3 right now. I really wanted to love the Versa. I still have an Aria 2 scale, so I have the Fitbit app that should pull the weight data over to MFP still. I set up the AW to put steps into the health app and should pull into MFP. I'm assuming that if I do any other exercise activities, I will have to start that activity on the Workout app on the Apple Watch. I'm assuming I don't have to start the Workout app for just step tracking, right? I really love the Apple Watch so far, but it is definitely a learning curve on the fitness side of things since Fitbit was just simple and in one place. I used AutoSleep app last night for sleep tracking and that seemed to work well. I hope to use it every night, but it depends on how long my battery lasts! If anyone has any advice for me on getting all these apps to work seamlessly, please let me know. I generally used my Fitbit for sleep tracking, counting daily step goals, but I would like to start working out with activities. Thank you!
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    how is it going Janna? All sorted by day 2? I have a newer model so not sure I can advise you on your questions. Plus it seems like my watch is "learning" me. I am on day 25 ;)
  • JannaD2
    JannaD2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure things out in a way that works for me. Usually, when I walk 10,000 steps, I get a calorie burn of 250 or so in Fitbit, but Apple Watch says I burned 52. So, I'm just not sure how to adjust or not. I really, really love the Apple Watch for all the other stuff it can do, but I do wish all the Fitness stuff was in one app like Fitbit. I do miss that. I did see that there is an app that will backwards sync your Apple Health data into the Fitbit app (and then I guess MyFitnessPal would pull from that). It might be a work around. But now that I have an Apple Watch, I'd prefer to just move ahead and not try to go backwards with Fitbit.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    I think you have to use a third party app called pacer to talk to Apple. Then pacer talks to MFP. Do a forum search for exact instructions. I use the TDEE method to maintain so I am not stuck on MFP adding exercise or step cals for me. The Apple watch really has my TDEE nailed after 1 month. Pretty cool. Fitbit always overestimated.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    So I got a new band this week. One of those sport not Velcro but similar kind. It is a ton better than the metal one and holds the watch a lot more secure for my runs. Which I read is why sometimes the hr can be off if it’s not tight. Anyway the readings are still vastly different from Fitbit to watch mostly hr related. If I hadn’t done a bunch of garmin chest strap verification a few years back I would find the watch more believable as I would like to think my avg hr was not in the mid 160s. Just interesting data. The watch tracks my TDEE very closely after a month. I still like the Fitbit for some of the other data points tho. Lol. Wearing both. Hey. I got 2 wrists right? sq0iky2cpkuv.jpeg
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Finally did a sleep comparison of the two. Pretty interesting. Honestly the biggest problem is when to charge the watch.... sigh. I usually run for an hour in the am which takes it from 100 to 70 or lower. Then I can charge it back up while I shower a few points but unless I charge it again in the evening before bed it doesn't have enough juice left to wear overnight. I also somehow changed a face in my sleep. ROTFLOL....

954s9d0dy9w4.png
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Today was also enlightening. It was so warm here that I was able to run without sleeves or jacket. Apparently the watch REALLY likes to be free. It was so much closer in time and everything else to the fitbit. I think with the sleeve over it the GPS and HR have trouble. Just a thought.....
  • mariekenji
    mariekenji Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love my apple watch, I came from using fitbits all the time but so many glithes with connecting and syncing them on here and everytime there was an update there would be issues. I haven't had any issues with my AW series 3, i have a lot of the features turned off so mine does last about 2 days which makes me happy since i mainly want it for the fitness features and phone calls. I use autosleep to track my sleeping and i use duffy to synce and show my steps on my watch face. :)
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    The visibility of the Apple Watch is also 100% better than the fitbit or even my Iphone when I am out running. I just wish the #s on the rings were a bit larger. I still think it should hold a charge a bit better. Probaby my music running so much is the root of the issue with that.