Low fat friends

Options
savannahs21
savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
If anyone here is doing a low fat diet, please add me! Vegan and non vegan.

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am sorry you have PCOS, it is a rough and terrible thing.

Most women have found high fat/low carb has helped their pcos symptoms the most, because of the hormone/insulin response associated with PCOS. But you might find those that are doing well on low fat here.

Either way, welcome!
  • savannahs21
    Options
    @Alliwan Yea I figured I'd get keto/ low carb responses but I'm hoping to have friends who are doing low fat.
  • xqueenie
    xqueenie Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Careful with low fat in the sense of replacement foods. For example, Low fat dairy has a lot of added sugar and starches to keep the texture / viscosity and these added binders are hidden calories. A lot of fat free items are pure sugar.

Coffee creamer is straight up corn starch and I would recommend avoiding it.

There are good fats and bad fats and plant based fats like avocados and nuts are generally heart healthy fats.

Some nutrients require fat for absorption, vitamins in the B family and vitamin D require fat to transcends the gut walls. The omegas are the same, but I think they are considered fatty acids to begin with. Anyway that's why in nature they are found in fattish foods like fish and eggs and red meats.

Also, last thing, in the 70s the sugar industry lobbied for low fat diets and blamed fat for heart disease and other things when in reality it is being proven now that sugar and sugar substitutes are very bad for heart health and high sugar diets have been linked to dementia and other brain disorders in old age.

I would make sure to do a lot of reading about the different types of fat in our diet and whole nutrition to be sure to make conscious decisions in your low fat journey.

Stay safe and avoid those additional sugars and hidden chemicals!!
  • savannahs21
    Options
    @xqueenie I am being careful. Most of the time i'm eating whole foods. Im aware of those things and know about B and D vitamins needing fat. Low fat doesn't mean no fat. Thank you for responding.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How low fat are we talking? I'm not low fat but it's usually less than 1/3 of my calorie intake, right now I'm trying to keep under 100g but I'm maintaining on high calories so it's easier for me to add fat.

How do you find your PCOS symptoms on lower fat? Everyone responds different so if you found something that works for you that's great
  • savannahs21
    Options
    @sardelsa about 20 grams. I'm just starting so i cant say if its helped or not.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    That's pretty low unless you are very low weight. I would recommend you at least hit 0.35g per lb bodyweight for proper hormone function. But again it's up to you just a recommendation
  • savannahs21
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I'm 208 pounds so i have no idea how much 0.35g per pound would be. @sardelsa
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Sorry correction you can aim for 0.35g per goal weight. So for example if your goal is 150lbs it would be about 52g of fat. Again this is just a recommendation based on average numbers, there are exceptions of course
  • savannahs21
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I still dont understand but im really bad at math. My end goal is 120ish. @sardelsa
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Ok so you would do 120x0.35 which is 42g of fat minimum.