Not losing anything!

Options
I'm following the calories MFP gives me and also use what my Fitbit calculates, but I'm not losing anything. Should I be ignoring the exercise calories I've been given?

Replies

• Kilsi_Kizmit
    Kilsi_Kizmit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    .qtjamp3mno7x.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This graph makes it look like you are losing weight.
  • Kilsi_Kizmit
    Kilsi_Kizmit Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I'm sorry I should've given more detail. I've added past weigh-ins from prior to starting MyFitnessPal. I was on WeightWatchers for a little over a week and went from 218 to 212. Since doing MyFitnessPal I've weighed myself daily and I've been bouncing around but keep finding myself back at 212 on my week weight in. Am I not supposed to be eating the calories given to me from my Fitbit tracker?
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My weight loss graph looks similar to yours. My cycle plays a large part of the fluctuations. From ovulation to menstruation my weight climbs even when I eat in deficit. The day I start my period my weight drops and will continue to drop for about a week. Even though my weight loss for that week is greater than 2 lbs, my monthly average weight drop is between 1 and 1.5 lb/week.

Sometimes it's hard to remember this is how my body works when I am seeing it rise and rise (on a side note, I notice that my resting heart rate follows this pattern too) but I've written on my bathroom mirror, "trust the process" as a friendly reminder.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The calories are not given by Fitbit - it only sends a Total Daily calorie burn (TDEE) to MFP to do math with.

That adjustment is merely MFP correcting itself from your selected daily activity level with no exercise - to what Fitbit says your TDEE is.

IF there is an issue beyond too short a time span and normal water weight fluctuations - it's your Fitbit.

You can tweak some things to improve it's calorie burn estimate.

Ever walked a known 1/2 to 1 mile distance an 2 mph and confirmed the distance was correct on Fitbit?

Because distance and mass is calories for daily activity. The stride length setting could be off. Many times extra weight causes ones to take smaller strides, but that's not being seen by the Fitbit - so inflated distance & calorie burn.

If you are very sedentary outside of lots of exercise - and that exercise is the type that HRM estimated calories is badly inflated on - you could have badly inflated daily burn.