Shoes getting worse or I'm just getting old

Options
mburgess458
mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
edited February 2020 in Social Groups
After a lot of trial and error I figured out many years ago that Brooks Adrenaline shoes worked well for me. When they are starting to get worn out and need to be replaced I start getting slight aches and pains in my knees. Years ago shoes used to last me about 400 miles, then more like 300, then my most recent pairs only lasted a little over 200 miles before the tell tale knee pain started. I run daily so I always have 2 pairs that I alternate between so they have plenty of time to dry out and bounce back from a run (when I say 200 miles it's 200 miles per pair of shoes).

Do you think it's more likely that Brooks Adrenaline aren't made like they used to be and don't last as long... or are my 50+ year old knees just getting worse and more sensitive to slight breakdown in shoes? Anyone else have similar issues? I'm trying to decide whether I should try switching to different shoes or see a doctor or what.

Edited to add: the knee pain I'm talking about is pretty specific. When my shoes need to be replaced I get these sharp little pains and my knees feel like they need to crack but they don't. I don't get those pains any other time.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 200 miles is really low to be worn out (assuming their not racers). I wonder if maybe your stride/gait has changed over the years and now your putting different pressure on your shoes?
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I figured it out, not my knees getting worse or Brooks making crappier shoes. While I'm very careful in keeping track of mileage on my running shoes I wasn't paying attention at all to how old my non-running shoes are. Replacing my running shoes didn't help so I finally realized the problem is my old shoes I wear all day most days. Replaced them and went back to my running shoes with 200 miles on them and knees feel fine.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it is amazing how precisely they can engineer shoes, cars, things like that.
    I swear my shoes used to last over a year, running at least 6 miles every other day. And I noticed no breakdown in them.
    But now? Yeah. I hit 255 miles -- or whatever it is -- and suddenly my shoes go from fine to dead. Like they dropped off a cliff.
    But, then again, the older we get, the better we were -- everything else too.