Welcome!

Options
Hi!

I decided to put this out there to see what kind of interest there may be for us "Stateliners" but I don't want to limit the geography - we all travel and love to hear about an undiscovered gem through word of mouth wherever it may be! Let's hear about your favorite spot for hiking, the most memorable canoe or kayak trip you took - great put ins and take-outs, cool hotels nearby - whatever you want to share!

Who knows, this may be a great way to get together and meet for a paddle or a hike in the days and months ahead!

Replies

• harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Im a total nature lover!
    I belong to Call Of The Wild Campground in Montello, WI.
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT THERE!!!
    Its very rustic. I'm surrounded by total nature & wildlife!
    Its right on Buffalo Lake. Which is great for fishing, & great kayaking & canoeing comes right thru there. (the fox river runs thru the lake).
    Its located in Marquette County which has the most abundant natural resources ive ever seen! TONS of lakes, rivers & fabulous trails for hiking, atv & snowmobiling. IMarquette County is a true sportsman paradise!
    You can check out the county at www.marquettenow.com
    & you can check out Call Of The Wild Campground on FaceBook.

I also love hiking in Pike's Lake State Park, which is in Slinger/Hartford area in Washington County. They have the most beautiful fall colors there!
    If you love the Canadian Goose, then the best place to tour & walk thru is the Horicon Marsh in Dodge County. They have a wonderful DNR center there. Where you can view the marsh, walk thru the marsh or just check out the center that has excellent animal mounts, lots of info & history. Someone is always there to give you a tour or answer questions. You truely are in the flyway zone there. Its amazing!

ok, enough of me sounding like a travel agent. lol
    I would love to hear where everyone else likes to go & hike!:flowerforyou:
  • Caladesi2012
    Caladesi2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great tips, Harley! I have been to the Horicon but not for many years. We do have an over-abundance of Canadian Geese around here so I would rather see some other birds, like Sandhills or wood ducks, snow geese etc. Anyway, am going to check out the campground! Sounds cool and I love that the Fox runs through it. Great kayaking opportunities.

Around here we have a LOT of county parks - McHenry County Conservation District is huge and has snatched up thousands of acres of pristine land and most of it is open to at least hike on though they only have a couple parks that allow camping. I love Pleasant Valley Conservation and Glacial Park which has some nice geological features such as kames. What we don't have is an amazing State Park nearby - but there is a new one in the works that will be a wildlife corridor between N IL and S WI. Looking forward to that!

Within a reasonable drive of our home - We like Wyalusing State Park up at the confluence of the Mississippi and the Wisconsin rivers and anywhere in the Driftless Region of WI which is incredibly hilly and picturesque. It's called the Driftless Region because it was untouched by glaciers. Lake Geneva is a cool town that's about 20 minutes away - very touristy but a nice lake for boating and fishing - clear and deep - springfed supposedly by underground springs that run all the way from Lake Superior.

We enjoy going to the cool little Swiss town of New Glarus for a day trip and to have lunch and a beer at Baumgartners.
    (New Glarus is the home of the "Spotted Cow Brewing Co", FYI :) )

We usually head pretty far north every summer and go all over the UP of Michigan including Copper Harbor and Porcupine State Park. Last year we saw 2 wolves, which was definitely a highlight.

I'll check out your recommendations! Thanks!
  • bugnsamsmom
    bugnsamsmom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm in Racine County in SE Wisconsin.

Lake Geneva is GREAT! Very beautiful for a nice day window shopping or enjoying the beach. You can do some mini walks but I'm not aware of anything that goes all the way around.

Eagle, Wisconsin has Old World Wisconsin. It's a living museum of Wisconsin history. Wonderful for walking. There is an on/off as you like tram but you are also able to walk between the areas. It's a beautifully wooded area with lots of interesting things to see.

Bong (State Park?) In Kenosha County is great for hunting/camping/hiking. The offere lots of classes throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall. Great for bird watching...not just geese. You will see cranes here for sure!

The city of Racine has a decent lake front for walking. You can walk from Gateway Techncal College to the south and walk north along the lake, go around Festival grounds and out the fisherman's access and back...not too much sight seeing but a great lake walk..the breeze is appreciated on a hot summer's day. Lots of shopping in downtown Racine which is very near by.

Tons of great restaurants in the area. Can't really recommend too many that are on the healthier side but if you want to celebrate a special night out I can give you a few names.

Of course...you can't made a visit to Racine without a taste of our delicious Racine Danish Kringle. Go for a "stick" rather than a ring and share it with some friends for a sweet treat that won't break your calorie bank.
  • bajohnson00
    bajohnson00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I'm so glad I found this group. My family and I are relocating near Beloit, WI at the end of June and I will be looking for outdoor activities for my family to do. Looking forward to reading and adding new posts! :)

Brooke Johnson
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    We have recently discovered the Cam-Rock county trails near Cambridge, WI. I know that isn't very "state line" but they were great trails with park/shelter areas for lunch and bathroom breaks.
  • lynnbaum
    lynnbaum Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hi to all I am so excited to see a SE WI paddle group. We are in Union Grove and I am a paddle boarder. There are times I go to browns lake or lake andrea. lake andrea is a quiet lake. Park on the side and paddle for free. Browns lake a little rough but a good workout. I want to paddle all summer. I am also a camper.