This March I Will....

Options

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 love the new details and steady progress!
    @themedalist good hearing from you. Thanks for the info. I will be checking it out tomorrow.
    @LoriAnna62 take care of yourself! I hope you’re feeling better by now.

This has been another day of staying in a decent calorie deficit but activity hasn’t improved much. I did a Walmart pick up delivery today and LOVED it!!! only downside was I didn’t get any steps in but, on the plus side, I didn’t expose myself to anything sitting in my car waiting a few minutes unlike the hundreds of people going in and out with their carts. I wanted to do a PSA about the great pick up service they could have used. I’m telling all of my friends.

No chips yet and it’s day 18!!
  • LoriAnna62
    LoriAnna62 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @nebslp What a great idea to use Walmart's pick-up service! I see their signs all the time, but I don't ever see anyone doing it. Way to go with the calorie deficit and no chips!!!

I'm feeling all better and getting back to work today. So grateful that they've found a cure for the virus!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,792 Member
    Options
    Hi all, sorry I haven’t been checking in.

My BIL passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had been in the board and care facility for a month and a half. It had been a good fit for him, and after he settled down, he was getting along with the caregivers and other residents. I’m so grateful that we were able to get him out of his home, into the hospital, and then into this wonderful board and care. On Sunday, he ate his lunch, lay down for a nap, and passed away in his sleep.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes I am sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. I know he had been struggling in the past and am glad he was in a good place at the end. I will be thinking about you. Take care.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @LoriAnna62 I'm glad you're feeling better.

I'm not sure if I'm worried (I don't feel worried) or just sad because of 2 cancelled trips and another one to cancel if things continue to get worse, or just getting bored but I'm falling into the bad habit of staying up until 1 and then getting up in time to watch a couple of things on TV. Then there's a press conference every day about 10:45 that I watch so by the time I get going it's after noon. This has got to stop. I've also been snacking on pretzels and (grrr) I bought doritos and have had some of them. I haven't touched my husband's though ;) or the peach pie that he made. I actually worked out today though. I have a wonderful online friend who is a certified coach and she is working with me and some others on a Facebook group. I think this is what I need to get me moving every day. I haven't left the place except for my Walmart pick up trip since March 6. Maybe that's what's wrong with me?!

Hobbies are hit and miss. I practice my guitar every day and am learning notes. I love it! It's so hard and so rewarding at the same time. I'm down to sewing 2 more seams and then I will be able to put the borders on the QOV quilt top I'm making. I just want to be done with it so I can do something else. I started a sashiko project so I'd have some handwork to do instead of my ipad playing and it's really fun. I traded photography study for photo organization but I would like to do both. I have time if I just use it wisely. I don't know which one is more frustrating :s

Anyway, enough rambles for today. Tomorrow for sure I'm going to check out the Tiny Habits. I got a notice in my email so I won't forget. I need to get my mojo back! Hope you're all staying healthy.
  • nebslp
    Options
    OK. Yesterday I didn't know if I was worried or sad. Today I know I am both but I tend to minimize my feelings, therefore the increase in junk food eating. Good to know. This morning I got up, put the coffee on, and went downstairs and spent 15 minutes on my bike while watching a quilting video. Good start to the day. Joan from TrainWithJoan has a short workout video that she posted yesterday and I will be doing that this afternoon. I am going to try to use this time in isolation to making my house cleaner and my body leaner and learn a few things along the way, especially some things about myself and my response to change. I called all of my book club members to cancel this month's meeting and it was good to talk to them but hard at the same time. I think talking to others increases my fear. Let's use this time to get some workouts in and eat something really healthy for lunch. I'm having a lettuce and carrot salad with boiled eggs and cracker crumbs on top. Yum. Hope y'all ave a good weekend.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    @77tes I’m sorry to hear of your BIL’s passing & also glad it was peaceful & you all had him in a great place. 🌺🌸🌻
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @nebslp
    Yes, there’s change, grief, fear,and extreme gratitude all wrapped into one!

I’m finding my habits are helping me with each day, and I’m 95%-99% of the time in good spirits. Worry & stress will only hurt my body & waste precious hours/days.

1. Each day, I walk/hike at least an hour- sometimes 2 hours in early evening minimum 10K steps

2. I learn something about art making
    & I actually make some art

3. 3 meals w/optional snack

Water
    >5 fruits/veg
    Calories under calories out
    Track all food
    Cook etc

And I paused our cleaning lady (with pay), so I’m spending 1-2 hours deep cleaning and/or doing FINAL Marie Kondo purge in each room.

All of this keeps me occupied!

I don’t watch TV until maybe one show with my husband around 9pm. When I stopped working, I just decided no TV.

You are strong. You are doing this!

Consider drowning your chips/pretzels! Better in the trash than ...

Take Care,
    Maddie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Mar 1- Mar 20
    All great with BMI decreasing except for 6 high salt days.

oth7hmhdj96q.jpeg
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly20 I love your affirmations! Today's is very appropriate as incubating is what will help with crisis abate sooner than later. I think what was getting me down was knowing it's the weekend and I won't get to see my grandkids for who knows how long. Seeing them on Facetime and waving to them from my car doesn't cut it. I need my hugs!!! I am going to start being their pen pals next week. I hope they will write me back.

I had been slacking off on Instagram but got into it again this morning and saw there is an upper body workout on there that I will try. I watched a couple of Joan McDonald workout videos on youtube and was inspired as usual. I got in a short weights session tonight and plan to do more tomorrow. I love the way I feel when I work with weights so that's good incentive to do it again, just have to be careful not to overdo at first. Exercise is definitely a mood booster. I wish it was dry and warm outside so I could go exploring again. It's too muddy to tromp around outside right now. I hope this finds all of you and your families safe and well.
  • nebslp
    Options
    Good morning! It’s been dreary out but I started spring cleanup in one of my flowerbeds yesterday. It didn’t take long to fill up the wheelbarrow with leaves. I found lots of plants trying to break through so that was hopeful. This morning I woke up feeling sad and unsettled so I did a quick 10 minute bike ride to get me warmed up for the day. Let’s start the day doing what we can to improve our lives today. Bed sheets are already in the dryer and lifting weights and making masks at the request of my respiratory therapist niece are on the agenda for later. What are you doing and how are you all?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Hey @nebslp!
    I’m sorry you woke up sad & unsettled, but WOW you sure did a lot to turn that ship around! I, too, am finding movement & cleaning particularly therapeutic. Plus creating my art books!

Plans for today: eat well, walk 10K steps, clean for 30-60 mins, limit news & social media, and Create with my on-line classes!! Maybe watch a comedy this evening!

Here’s my tracker as if this moment:
    My BMI has gone from a high of 24.0 this month to a low of 23.6 so far this month, eating an avg of 2,089 calories a day. Interestingly: my 2018 svg was 2,088 & 2019 avg was 2,080. Seems my body likes that number! As long as I can keep walking, I think there’s a chance of success.00gq0cmgcv15.jpeg

I’m very pleased.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Good job of keeping your numbers in the best range for you. I can only dream about a BMI of 24! I'm excited about getting some warm weather here and being able to take long late afternoon walks, too.
    Today I ended up, in addition to the morning bike ride (in my basement), 20 minutes of upper body workout, and a 30 minute raking session in my flower bed. I was sent another mask pattern by my daughter whose small town has only 1official mask for its volunteer fire department and would like to have 240 handmade ones on hand. She has been working from home and homeschooling her kids for a week now and today her husband was put on Emergency Leave. They found out someone in their office has the virus and so the whole site was shut down, some 500 employees or more. I also did some deep cleaning and that sure is a good feeling! Just have to keep busy and hope I can make a difference in some small way while we wait for things to improve out there. Stay safe!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I woke up this morning and decided I need to revise a statement I made to you yesterday. I can only WORK to reach a BMI of 24. Dreaming is nice, but doesn't do a whole lot of good without action! So this morning I went down to do a quick 10 minute ride, but about 9 minutes into it I decided to go for 15. Well, then I decided to round out my mile numbers and did 20 minutes. I have legs on the workout schedule for later today and a walk outside if it doesn't rain. Now I'm off to wash some fabric and while I'm waiting for that to finish I will put the last borders on my QOV quilt and be done:) I'll post a pic in the projects page when that happens. I'm keeping busy. How are you all doing?
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    @77tes I am so sorry for your loss.

I have not been journaling so my emotions have been raw. I made the decision to eat 1 food item for comfort and fasting so I can keep these emotions in check. I will make a better effort to continue to journal. Lots of things I have learn on this pandemic that I want to put in practice.

Spending has also gone through the roof. Hoarders have made it difficult to get everything I need weekly so I have to go every other day. Yesterday wad able to make a big haul at Costco since they had everything and were limiting the items to 1 per family.

@nebslp it is so warm here but mentally I have nit felt like adding more miles to my walk. Awesome that you’re helping out with masks.

@MadisonMolly2017 glad you’re keeping busy during this time and it’s working out for you so far. I too have found keeping my routine is helping me cope.

Stay safe everyone.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Well, we’re still alive, so just as with the kidney transplant, I refuse to live in fear. I’m making the most of each day!! Might as well, right?!!

The blossoms on almond, plum, peach, and apricot are out!
    It hailed hard twice yesterday!!
    We saw a full rainbow on Tuesday’s walk.

I managed weighing a small portion of ice cream each evening - I never could have done that 4 years ago.

I finished the hand binding of two large art books from odd pieces of paper & some old art work I no longer wanted. Finishing has been difficult in the past as I want to go onto the next idea and/or not wanting to finalize it...”maybe it would be better if...” This time, I said to myself, “Time for you stop changing it around and inventing new ideas...you can do those Next Time”. Game changer for me.

I plan to glue a couple of small books I designed today & tomorrow. I find putting the designed book away a few days & then looking at it makes me realize “yeah, this is good! Call it a wrap!”

Excited to be finally moving through this.

Take Care everyone!!
    With Hugs,
    Maddie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I hope you are all doing ok. I miss you.
  • nebslp
    Options
    Hi. March 31 update... My goal was to log my calories eaten and my calories burned using my Fitbit stats and to keep a deficit.

Results: I logged calories eaten 25/31 days. There was a break of 6 days at my usual stopping point at about week 3. I just didn't want to do log, so I didn't. In the past I would have just stopped completely but this time I started back up on March 25 and finished out the month.
    Success was seeing my persistence on my log sheet. It feels good that I did not let myself down this month as so often happens. I will have succeeded 24/25 days of logging at keeping a deficit on calories eaten. It wasn't really that hard. Just took time to do the logging.

What I learned: Logging helps keep me honest and doesn't lull me into thinking just one more serving is no big deal. That one serving might make the difference between gaining a pound or losing one over time. I'm excited that my burn is higher than I thought and if I actually move more, I burn considerably more calories than I take in on a normal day. That's probably why I've been able to maintain a 25 lb. (give or take 5) weight loss for over 10 years. I just need to start the scale moving down again.

My concerns: I eyeballed a lot of things and said "tablespoon" or "cup" instead of actually measuring to know how much I was really putting on my plate. Another problem is using home recipes and trying to figure out what to put down for calories. Homemade chili, for example, can range from 140-442 calories. And just what is a serving???? Depends on who entered the information, one bowl, one cup, one portion!.

Even bigger success story!: I have not touched my husband's potato chips in 31 days. There is a 1/2 bag that has been hanging out in the cupboard for over a week. Now and then I'll think about it with longing, but knowing that I told you guys I wasn't going to touch them, I was able to resist. Thank you!!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Hi. March 31 update... My goal was to log my calories eaten and my calories burned using my Fitbit stats and to keep a deficit.

Results: I logged calories eaten 25/31 days. There was a break of 6 days at my usual stopping point at about week 3. I just didn't want to do log, so I didn't. In the past I would have just stopped completely but this time I started back up on March 25 and finished out the month.
    Success was seeing my persistence on my log sheet. It feels good that I did not let myself down this month as so often happens. I will have succeeded 24/25 days of logging at keeping a deficit on calories eaten. It wasn't really that hard. Just took time to do the logging.

What I learned: Logging helps keep me honest and doesn't lull me into thinking just one more serving is no big deal. That one serving might make the difference between gaining a pound or losing one over time. I'm excited that my burn is higher than I thought and if I actually move more, I burn considerably more calories than I take in on a normal day. That's probably why I've been able to maintain a 25 lb. (give or take 5) weight loss for over 10 years. I just need to start the scale moving down again.

My concerns: I eyeballed a lot of things and said "tablespoon" or "cup" instead of actually measuring to know how much I was really putting on my plate. Another problem is using home recipes and trying to figure out what to put down for calories. Homemade chili, for example, can range from 140-442 calories. And just what is a serving???? Depends on who entered the information, one bowl, one cup, one portion!.

Even bigger success story!: I have not touched my husband's potato chips in 31 days. There is a 1/2 bag that has been hanging out in the cupboard for over a week. Now and then I'll think about it with longing, but knowing that I told you guys I wasn't going to touch them, I was able to resist. Thank you!!!

@nebslp congratulations & thanks for your update! And for maintaining your weight loss for 10 years!!!!

And yay for your success with chips!

I weigh all of my food/drinks. That way I avoid much of the uncertainty. It’s just a habit now.

Any thoughts of what you’ll do in April!?!
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, I popped in here and saw your habit tracker. I love it!! I made my own version for April because I love the design and the creativity of it. Thank you for sharing it here. :)