Back At It

Options
BuffyBourbon
BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
I was doing so well, and then stuff happened and i've gained nearly all of the weight back. I'm a week in now and doing well.. gonna knock it out this time and actually finish this time, and then stay at a reasonable weight when i'm done! Good luck to the rest of you too! =)

Replies

• BuffyBourbon
    Options
    Two weeks in and down 5# so far. Good start, going strong! Hope you guys are doing well too! This time round we are both using MFP and tracking, and our "official" weigh-in day is Tuesday. For every pound we're down from the previous week, we are paying the piggy $2. I figure that if we both get most of the way to our goal weight without too much back tracking that will pay for a night at a swanky hotel with room service sometime this fall. And if we backtrack, well then there's just a little extra cash, right? =)
  • BuffyBourbon
    Options
    We swapped our official weigh-in day to Friday just for convenience sake, and so that any weekend-salt naughtiness wouldn't affect the weigh in so badly. As of Friday I was down 6.5 pounds, that's not too bad for 3.5 weeks in i don't think!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Nice work! I'm really struggling just now with time but I'm getting on my horse for the first time since my illness today so we will be getting fit together! I hope! You're doing a spectacular job!
  • BuffyBourbon
    Options
    Welcome back! You're doing great too I think! My newbie horse is headed up to KC to the trainers on the first of March, should attend his first show ever in late April (if all goes to plan). So i'm hoping to be at least a size smaller by then, and see where we go!
  • fittoride36
    fittoride36 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wanted to get in on this group, great idea! I just uploaded all of my videos/pic from my phone and I was looking at some of me riding and egads...the bouncing..of everything ugh I can't wait to look great this summer. Going to ride my trainer's greenie tonight which is always a blast, Next week I have the vet out for hopefully the last time to look at my sweet girl. She has been off since August with a suspensory ligament injury :( Fingers crossed that she gets the go-ahead to go back to work!!
  • BuffyBourbon
    Options
    Awesome! I haven't been on a horse but once this year. I have all sorts of weird allergies but the weirdest is an allergy to cold. I actually get hives if my skin is exposed to air that is too cold, and if it's cold enough i'll even get the hives through clothing. So most of the time winter is time off for my kids. I bring them all home from wherever i have them, and they get turned out to pasture =). They clearly hate it =)
  • BuffyBourbon
    Options
    Allright-allright-allright! Down 9# as of today's weigh in, the Piggy is all paid up. I started out using quarters but my credit union had some rolls of dollar coin yesterday so i got those for going forward, should save some wear an tear on the ol'pig =). Hope you guys are getting there and making progress too.

Just so you know, the frozen cherries from Costco are a FANTASTIC snack, you get 140 grams which is a nice bowl of them for 90 calories! I eat them still frozen, so you get a mouth full of really sweet cold delight, and then you suck on it for a bit and it thaws and gets all juicy, so yum!

Also, based on the boards elsewhere around here i discovered Blaze Pizza. I highly recommend them, they make an 11" pizza to order, and you can create it on their nutrition page and see exactly the calories. An 11" pepperoni with shredded mozzerella is 660 calories for the whole pizza. And they have all sorts of other options, including 9 kinds of cheese and a spicy sauce i really really liked, or a white sauce that i'm told is very good too. Anyway, if there's one near you it's worth a trip, and i got a coupon code online for a buy1 get1 deal which made it even better!
  • jkrueter
    jkrueter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, all. I saw this group on COTH and I need something to get me going. I’m trying to lose a few pounds, mostly just feel better and look better in breeches! Trying to be more careful about snacking and portion control by tracking what I eat.
  • sharonarkoff
    sharonarkoff Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So glad to find this group. Thank you, again, COTH! I have a few pounds to lose too -- as in, 80 lbs. I look in the mirrors and am horrified! And, it can't be great for the fella, who would find it easier to get into shape --- for the first time in his 18 years, as he just sat in a field other than being used 6 weeks in the summer for camp kids -- if his rider wasn't as round as he is. (Still, he is doing awesome. I can barely even stand his adorable little Morgan work-ethic machine-ness.)

Ideally I would stick to 1200 calories a day -- which is plenty of food for a 5'3" person in their 50s-- and burn 300-500 calories a day in some form of aerobic exercise (walking, hiking, treadmill, cycling). I feel great when I am on track with this, but work and family inevitably get in the way and I cannot seem to keep it going for more than a few days. I am rarely hungry; I just eat because it is something to do.

But, today is another day... I used to be petite, and would like to be there again. Y'all keep me accountable now, okay? :) Let me know how I can help others in the group, too.
  • sharonarkoff
    Options
    It's been a year since this thread started; how is everyone doing? I have not been at all consistent, and think I weigh exactly what I did a year ago. At least it hasn't gone up. I seem to be in a more "suck it up and count the calories, do the treadmill" mood lately, though, so maybe this time will be "it." A lot of things are different from last year (mostly new job, with less access to food), so maybe that will help.

One thing, though; MFP tells me that even if I eat 1200 "correct" calories and burn 150 on the treadmill (that's walking for 1.5 miles which takes half an hour; I'll bump it up to three miles when I have time), I'll only lose like a pound a week. That is SO not good enough. I want two pounds a week, for the sacrifice of sticking to 1200 calories. It seems to me that most sources say that 2 lbs a week is a safe weight loss. If I am only losing a pound a week, it will take me a year and a half to lose my weight. NOT fast enough. What have others found their monthly weight loss to be, if they stuck to the calorie counter?

• peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Honestly? at 5' about 110 and only vanity pounds left to lose I'm lucky to get 3 lbs a month of loss. Though, I also find sticking to calories hard since it no longer adjusts for steps (WTH mfp?) and only adjusts for my running and riding. Which typically gives me an extra 500 to play with, but still, I get seriously hungry training for this marathon in May. People have told me it is near impossible to lose weight while training to run endurance. I believe them now.
  • Snowdenfarm
    Snowdenfarm Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For me, I find the best weight loss is about a quarter of a pound a week. I adjust to the diet as a life change and my body adjusts to the new weight avoiding the "bounce back" effect. However, to lose quickly, I like intermittent fasting and either intermittent or full keto. All sorts of good studies right now showing the health benefits of both.
  • BuffyBourbon
    Options
    Hey Gang! Well, i'm pretty much exactly where i was in January of last year, but i'm back at least. Last year was hard, i lost a beloved pet &/or horse every month until June, and i just couldn't keep taking the hits.. Down a dog 3 cats and a horse from last year, but gained a puppy - otherwise i think i'm also at the same weight. I've been logging 25 days now and going to keep at it.

4 years ago (when i started this project) i did the 1200 calorie thing for over a year and dropped over 70pounds, since then gained it all back. Starting back now, i'm going for 1720 a day, that still schedules me for 2# a week weight loss, and should keep me losing weight until i hit my goal. I know that the loss will slow as i approach my goal, but i don't intend to adjust the actual amount i'm eating. The calculators tell me that when i hit goal weight i'll get around 1850 a day, so i want to be used to eating close to that by the time i get there. If i lose consistently (i know i know, i won't, but just to make the math simpler) it'll take me 2 years to get there roughly, and that'll mean 2 years of practice at close to that allowance.

Really glad to see this thread again though, hi everyone!
  • BuffyBourbon
    Options
    It's been a year since this thread started; how is everyone doing? I have not been at all consistent, and think I weigh exactly what I did a year ago. At least it hasn't gone up. I seem to be in a more "suck it up and count the calories, do the treadmill" mood lately, though, so maybe this time will be "it." A lot of things are different from last year (mostly new job, with less access to food), so maybe that will help.

One thing, though; MFP tells me that even if I eat 1200 "correct" calories and burn 150 on the treadmill (that's walking for 1.5 miles which takes half an hour; I'll bump it up to three miles when I have time), I'll only lose like a pound a week. That is SO not good enough. I want two pounds a week, for the sacrifice of sticking to 1200 calories. It seems to me that most sources say that 2 lbs a week is a safe weight loss. If I am only losing a pound a week, it will take me a year and a half to lose my weight. NOT fast enough. What have others found their monthly weight loss to be, if they stuck to the calorie counter?

The 2# a week weight loss is only considered safe if you have quite a lot of weight to lose - i'm shooting for 2# a week and i have over 100# to lose. (yuck, did i just say that out loud???)

If you don't have that much to lose, then a less aggressive setting is suggested.

Also, if you burn 150 on the treadmill, then MFP assumes you'll go ahead and eat those 150 extra calories that day, so you'd get 1350 as your allowance that day - maybe that'll help?

My monthly losses when i was being good a few years ago averaged about 2.# a week for quite awhile, but my actual week-to-week varied wildly, depending on how well behaved i was about sodium, and also depending on hormonal shift throughout the month.
  • sharonarkoff
    Options
    Another year gone.... I have been doing WW religiously for six months: tracking, exercising more (we got a young, healthy dog..... have been walking about 25 brisk miles a week to keep that one entertained) and weight loss? About 6 lbs. This is f'ing ridiculous. I am eating reasonable portions of healthy (ish) clean (ish) food and am almost always within my daily WW points and if I count exercise, well within my MFP calories; I have increased exercise, I drink more water, and..... six pounds? I still have 70 lbs to lose. Meanwhile, I switched the fella to Cosequin, vs various other supplements, and he is feeling pretty good.... more impulsion, lifting his back.... but he can't really do much if Mom weighs as much as horse herself. I know we are supposed to acknowledge non-scale victories, but I'm sick of non-scale-victories. I want an f'ing scale victory. Anyone have any ideas of how to move the scale? I guess I will try not eating anything after 7 pm, but that's hard with current family schedule (or lack thereof). Oh well. Worth it for the fella.
  • BuffyBourbon
    Options
    Hi! Just saw this, last week it said no new messages! I'm back at back at it, hopefully for the last time this time. Are you weighing your foods? I'm amazed at how much difference that makes for me. The only thing I've found that consistently weighs what it says it will is slices of bread. Otherwise things are allowed to weigh up to 20% more than label and be okay, so I don't trust labels. Other than that I have nothing!
  • BuffyBourbon
    Options
    Right, 3 weeks back on the wagon, 3.7# down. Hooray! I'm gonna get it done this time for real i think! Join me folks, let's do this!
  • sharonarkoff
    Options
    You and me, BB. We'll just keep on keeping on. I bought a couple stall mats yesterday, and each one weighs 80 lbs. Eighty pounds is about what I should lose (in a perfect world). I cannot believe I am carrying a stall mat around, 24/7! I hope this will be motivational.
  • BuffyBourbon
    Options
    Well, for me 80 is my goal, though perfect world me has even more than that to lose! I'm at 4.5 pounds in 4 weeks, so its going pretty okay so far! Managed to ride today, and hope to ride tomorrow too!!
  • sharonarkoff
    Options
    BB, Hope you're getting to ride! Back after a week of vacation and though the fella is perfectly fine and in fact very shiny, he is mad at me for disappearing for a week. The poor guy had to go without his nighttime slurpy. Oh, the horror. But, his winter coat is starting to come in -- in August, and it's 90 degrees out all week. What does Mother Nature have in store for us this winter, in Massachusetts? :-)
    \